Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: reasons dwarf fortress is worth trying?  (Read 3731 times)

EnderCrypt

• Bay Watcher
  • who needs sleep anyways?
    • View Profile
reasons dwarf fortress is worth trying?
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:20:40 pm »

ok, so, first of all i hope this is the correct sub forum, anyways, i was planning to try get my friend into playing (or atleast trying) dwarf fortress however its not that easy, knowing people nowdays... so could you awesome people that know more about dwarf fortress then me tell me some good things to show how awesome this game is, and things that dwarf fortress have that very few/ none other games has, that i can tell to my friend, and hoppfully convince to try this game

thanks!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:22:51 pm by EnderCrypt »
first time playing dwarf fortress: ‎‎
16th ‎november ‎2012, 00:52:00

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: reasons dwarf fortress is worth trying?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:25:17 pm »

You can cut an opponent's hand, forearm, and then upper arm off in three, clean, successive strikes. Then throw the hand and forearm at the next for before braining him with the upper arm.

You can farm cats sufficiently to feed and cloth your fortress. Even paritally arm and armour them.

Collect the corpses of your foes and let them rot enough to shoot back at their comrades. Mod in butchering sentients to speed the process.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:29:29 pm by dudlol »

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:41:28 pm »

I had a vampire go full Game Of Thrones on me once.

He killed a single parent of a child and was elected as mayor. However, they caught wind of this shortly after his election and he got thrown in prison. He kept sneaking in a sole friend to have continuous meetings with him. That one friend was the 4 year old son of the murdered dwarf, and they were very close. I lost the fort shortly after, however, I just know that he was up to some funny business.

There was a lot more details, but I can't remember them to rightly retell the fantastic tale because it was a while ago, but if you can tell me a game where randomized content can produce stories like this, I'd be happy to play it forever.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:44:49 pm »

so take your typical fantasy game;
You play it out, if you don't like the story, too bad, you already bought it.
With dwarf fortress, not only is it free, if you don't like the story, just generate another one!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

EnderCrypt

• Bay Watcher
  • who needs sleep anyways?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:37 pm »

so take your typical fantasy game;
You play it out, if you don't like the story, too bad, you already bought it.
With dwarf fortress, not only is it free, if you don't like the story, just generate another one!

oh yeah, thats a good one
first time playing dwarf fortress: ‎‎
16th ‎november ‎2012, 00:52:00

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:20:22 pm »

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:46 pm »

Because learning to play is an achievement in itself.  Learning to play good requires organization, architecture, spatial sense, planning, adaptation, and preparation.

DF uses basic knowledge of planning, physics, and circuitry.  DF takes away the power of savescumming and emphasizes the redundancy.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:06:06 pm »

The best part is that there is no 'dominant strategy'. Everything works, and giving yourself a rule, a theme, or a goal, is infinity times more exciting in Dwarf Fortress as it is in anything else. For the roleplaying aspect, there is almost nothing quite so 'epic' in terms of scale and depth. The stories that come from it are just bewildering.

Yesterday, I sent my militia commander into a fight with a crocodile. It was her first battle, and she strikes at it, only to miss, and the crocodile counter attacks and bites her across the eye. Heavily bleeding and blind in the eye, despite this she keeps fighting because she had a high willpower.

And now I have a dwarf with a scar across one eye, if actions movies are anything to go by, this character is now badass.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:54:12 pm »

You can cut an opponent's hand, forearm, and then upper arm off in three, clean, successive strikes. Then throw the hand and forearm at the next for before braining him with the upper arm.

You can farm cats sufficiently to feed and cloth your fortress. Even paritally arm and armour them.

Collect the corpses of your foes and let them rot enough to shoot back at their comrades. Mod in butchering sentients to speed the process.
If you're good enough at engineering, you don't have to wait for them to rot.
There's a whole lot of enemies crossing the bridge?
Pull this lever to open the bottom pipe of the water tower, creating a jet of water that will blow everything off the bridge, and onto a bridge catapult.
More enemies, and the water tower isn't refilled yet?
Pull this lever to fire the bridge catapult the last lot was put on!
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 12:05:40 am »

Show him Boatmurdered.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 12:38:18 am »

It's an unending learning experience.

You learn to survive, then protect yourself, then you start raising magma to the surface and other crazy stuff. This games does teach you that failure is something to learn from.

Also, you discover some basics of geology and steel making.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:40:00 am by Boltgun »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 06:55:21 am »

you can kill a roc in midair and have the corpse fall on you, shattering your skull and tearing the brain.

also corpses can get kill counts.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 06:57:44 am »

also corpses can get kill counts.
Aye.  Last adventurer I lodged my sword in a alligator when it ran away, crawled over to and beat said alligator to death with my shield, reclaimed my sword, and then used the corpse to throw at a kobold ambusher.  It snapped his spine.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 09:10:12 am »

The stories that you get from playing will far, far outlast any game that you have.  There is never a period (for me, anyway) of longer than an hour of playing that I don't get a solid belly-laugh out of something that happened, some ridiculous artwork or artifact, etc.

No other game I have ever played in 30+ years of gaming has displayed the emergent possibilities of DF.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 09:57:57 am »

I think there is no way you can get (as in convince) another person to play a particular game.

Just tell him that you like it and what you enjoy, and if because of that he wants to give it a try himself fine, is not, fine too.

People are so different and DF works for a particular kind of these.
Pages: [1] 2