Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 'Artifact' Engravings  (Read 1915 times)

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'Artifact' Engravings
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:26:47 pm »

So lets say one of your dwarves (hopefully one of your engravers) is taken by a fey mood or possessed. What if along with making an artifact object there was the possibility for a dwarf or engraver to spend a few weeks hunched over a wall in the fortress, at the end of which you'll be in possession of a wall engraving that will have the same quality and effect as an artifact item. Perhaps said dwarf will grab a few things from around the fort and work them into the art somehow. Just like an artifact object it would have a name (I'm aware engravings are already named).

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Artifact' Engravings
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:22:22 pm »

That just compounds the problem that exist with masterwork engravings. It'd be annoying then the Engraver decides to engrave a wall or floor you're planning to dig up later.

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:25 pm »

You could remedy that by only making it applicable to walls or floors already designated for engraving.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:15 am »

Why would you smooth a wall that you plan to dig out?

I don't think dwarves care if they artifacts get destroyed, though. Perhaps it's a bug.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:49:22 am »

The wiki doesn't mention any problems for destroyed artifacts.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:45:49 am »

You can't destroy artifacts. x3

Would that result in an undiggable tile?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:23:07 am »

Atom smashing works fine, they won't burn up if set on fire though (and will keep burning indefinitely).

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:01:58 pm »

Atom smashing works fine, they won't burn up if set on fire though (and will keep burning indefinitely).

Digressing from the topic a little here ... , would that mean that I could set an artefact weapon on fire which in turn would inflict fire damage, or... just make a dwarven barbeque...
What about an anti-kobold-theif-trap (I'll forgo the specifications)

Back onto topic, the moody engraver could probably also demand room to begin his artwork (along with all the other materials he requires).
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 02:31:29 am »

Flaming weaponry are prone to friendly fire, that's for sure.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 11:43:35 am »

Flaming weaponry are prone to friendly fire, that's for sure.

Heheheh...Friendly fire, eh.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 11:03:14 pm »

Why would you smooth a wall that you plan to dig out?

I often smooth rooms and hallways that are more or less complete but might be added to later.  Like the office block probably has a smoothed hallway, and if I get another noble that wants an office, I'm going to have to dig through the smoothed wall of the hallway to add a new room.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 10:55:52 am »

I support the idea, but some things should be changed about artifact tier engravings. They should be able to be destroyed. Or moved. Imagine a dwarf cutting off a piece of a wall with engraving on it. Maybe that if you dug the artifact engraving it would drop something along the lines of 'Uristmurder' the artifact relief? Then you would be able to glue it to a wall in the middle of your dining room or something...
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 02:06:31 pm »

I support the idea, but some things should be changed about artifact tier engravings. They should be able to be destroyed. Or moved. Imagine a dwarf cutting off a piece of a wall with engraving on it. Maybe that if you dug the artifact engraving it would drop something along the lines of 'Uristmurder' the artifact relief? Then you would be able to glue it to a wall in the middle of your dining room or something...

What if instead of engraving natural walls, moody engravers would produce artifact blocks? Being normal bricks for purpose of construction (But probably less so for wells, workshops or bridges)? Call them bas-relief or something.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 02:48:45 pm »

I like the artifact block idea, but also here's how you can remedy the indestructible artifacts thing, make the artifact quality engravings able to mined out. Artifacts cant be destroyed, but giant kea have made off with a few of mine, they aren't completely safe.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 10:46:31 pm »

+1 to the idea of having to have the wall designated for engraving first. If there are none, he just sits there, like a leatherdwarf without a leather workshop and a mood, etc.

That way it will never accidentally happen in the middle of your smoothed magma tube or something like that. And similarly to other moods, if you WANT to super micromanage it once announced, you could by canceling all designations etc. etc.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.
Pages: [1] 2