Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress Wiki?  (Read 6685 times)

Lord Dalek

• Bay Watcher
  • NOVICE MODDER: MODS MAY BE CRAP.
    • View Profile
Masterwork Dwarf Fortress Wiki?
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:48 pm »

Hello guys, I made a Dwarf Fortress Masterwork Wiki (on the Wikia network of Wikis). This will allow, hopefully, the Dwarf Fortress Masterwork mod to get more updated information faster. The Wikia network's editing system is VERY similar to Microsoft Word's format, and before I finalize the wiki, I wanted to know the communities reaction to the creation of such a site. If you guys think it'd be a good idea, I'll post the link in about 3 days. If not, then the Wiki will just fade away into the Dwarfish afterworld. It's up to you guys, and I am fine with any choice you make.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress Wiki?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:37:54 pm »

uh...there already is one...
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Lord Dalek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:39:00 pm »

The Wikia format allows for blogs, chat, forums, easier editing, and stuff like that. It's just an idea I had and decided to post it, being a kind of lurker. I know that the MDF "wiki" is attached to DF Proper's wiki.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:40:43 pm by Lord Dalek »

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:41:33 pm »

Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:26:15 am »

The issue is that spreading info thinner isnt necessarily more helpful. Wikis get outdated easily, it would be more useful to update/improve the existing wiki.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lord Dalek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:38:16 pm »

Fair enough. There are some advantages to this, and personally, I think that MDF is so big that just gluing it to the main wiki isn't exactly effective. If we had it on this smaller wiki, it would allow very easy maintenance, easier admin monitoring, and a generally more to-the-point wiki, with any "How tos" or "Basic set-up guides" being in a separate section.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:42:05 pm »

I am so against redundant wikias in general. Seriously, none of that. Ever. The Elder Scrolls wikia was useless from its creation (uesp.net already exists) and so would this one be (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Main_Page already exists).

TheCspl

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I wish you could change your username...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 07:43:08 pm »

Do you regret saying this yet, I mean... seriously, the wiki hasn't been updated for literal years. 
Rovod RomekDurad

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 02:14:08 am »

And wikia (now fandom) has become far more annoying and terrible in the meantime, so it all evens out!