Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RPG Character Tracker  (Read 1478 times)

armorproof

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
RPG Character Tracker
« on: May 17, 2014, 05:56:13 pm »

Hello Bay 12 Games!

I've been a stalker for a while here but, with an idea I got this morning that I had to get down on paper, I first thought of you guys when trying to think of people I could bounce ideas off of for this kind of project. I am currently finishing up my second year of a Computer Science diploma program and, with knowledge in multiple languages, I do believe that this project is within the scope of my ability to complete with enough time.

Now, for the project. To put it simply, I am beginning to create a program that allows the user to track their RPG character's story in a journal-like format with the addition of a stat sheet, an equipment sheet, and an inventory to boost the characters depth. While I have included a link to the short Project Proposal below, here is the summary and a picture of the development I got finished this morning.

"The program will allow the user to create a character sheet for their character in an RPG format. On startup, the user will launch the Character Selection window, giving them the option to select a previously created character or create a new character. If a previously created character is selected, the program will load the character’s sheet including their journal entries, inventory, equipment slots, equipped items, stat slots, stats, feats, and so on. All of the equipment slots (ex. Left arm, head, shoulders) and stat slots (ex. Vitality, Strength, Sanity, Attractiveness, Money) will be loaded into their appropriate tabs. These slots will be able to be loaded from a character sheet template included in the save file that can be created by the user in order to quickly create new character sheets for their most used RPGs. The journal entry list will be located on the left side of the screen and will allow the user to keep track of their character’s story in the form of journal entries. The item list is a basic list that will allow the user to add and remove items from their characters possession as their characters story progresses. Item stats and templates are not going to be added to the project initially but will be considered for the project’s final release. The equip screen will allow users to select items from their characters inventory to equip in each of the custom inventory slots. The stats tab will hold everything from the characters currency to their health, feats, and even love interest. Each of the sections will be customizable upon their creation by the user (Words, numbers, counter, etc). "

Project Proposal: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojkqglszy2cedzc/RPG%20Character%20Tracker%20Project%20Proposal.docx
Main Window: http://i.imgur.com/qcwYmaf.png

Mainly what I am looking for from this community is for ideas to expand the concept of this project as I'm sure there are possibilities or features that I am yet to think of that are necessary for this type of program, and to see what the demand for this type of program is in the community. Personally, I will be using this program, once finished, to develop a story around a roleplaying character I've had in mind for years and haven't had a good medium to do so.

Included as well (though I can understand speculation as downloading .exe's are risky, consider this optional) is a link to a pre-alpha version I worked on this morning. Features currently available include the fully working journal entry system and the fully working inventory system with the exclusion of deleting entries and items. The user is currently able to create a character, create journal entries for that character, add items to that character, and save that character for next time they use the program.

Link to program: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbezxlodc2izhx9/RPG%20Character%20Tracker%20v0.1.exe

Being my first project idea I've released to the public after having formal education, I am also considering this an experiment and learning process of getting ideas from a community early on into a project and using these ideas to work through the development process. If people have any suggestions onto how I can improve the connection to a community, I'm looking for all the feedback I can get with this.

Thank you for the time you're willing to give me, hope to hear from you all soon!
Morgan W, Computing Student
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:33:18 pm by armorproof »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Character Tracker
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:49:34 pm »

I'm in. Homebrewing an RPG system that has a shitload of addendums. I think this would work perfectly for what I need. Link is in the sig if you want to know what I'm talking about.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

armorproof

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 04:15:33 am »

Having now read that all, I'm sure that our systems would indeed work well together as one of the focuses of this project will indeed be Tabletop RPG management. It's got me thinking though, maybe I should expand the stats section. Originally I was thinking stats being mainly things like STR and DEX and adding feats along the side but expanding it into the categories of Stats, Skills, and Feats might be in my best interest. Also, with the mention of different humanoid types, basic sections for maybe Race, Money, and Age should probably not be optional in the program either as they probably apply to practically every RPG. Are there any other base stats that you would suggest adding as well other than these three?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:29:49 am »

Personally, my character sheet has to keep track of a ton of stuff. There are 24 base attributes, 10 combat stats, health, manna, ki, equipment and backpack, three types of money. It will also keep track of a bunch of stuff that not everyone will use, like magic and abilities, proficiencies, holdings and buildings, favor from nobles and gods, deity, and occupation. The player may also have to keep track of shop/fort/building inventory, ship hold and supplies, soldiers commanded and supplies, NPCs commanded, political maneuvering, trade ledgers, and plot.

So, what I'd suggest is a form that will allow you to add stuff. Columns, headings, text boxes, etc. Not only do different games have vastly different requirements, but sometimes those requirements change over the course of a game. Set up a handful of "default" charsheets for more popular games like D&D, Vampire, or GURPS. From there, people will make what they need. The best thing that you could do is have a hub for content of some sort, like dffd, where people can upload and rate character sheets. If someone makes a really nice charsheet for Amber diceless or Champions, it could save some people a lot of time, and all they'd have to do is go get it. I know that's a big leap from what you're talking about, but the prospect of the program's abilities are exciting. If all else fails, you can host a website that you continually add new sheets to, and people would get to pick and choose which ones they want.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 01:18:07 am »

I've been thinking of doing something similar to this, but as a webapp. Great minds think alike! :P

armorproof

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 07:45:34 pm »

I've been thinking of doing something similar to this, but as a webapp. Great minds think alike! :P

Hmm.. A webapp would indeed be quite a bit more usable.

Development's just on hold for a bit until around the 28th when I'm finally settled into my new house. Hope to be able to show progress after that!