Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Bay12 Community Designed Game - Escape a whale  (Read 5498 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Community Designed Game - Escape a whale
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2014, 04:27:21 pm »

I'm voting for procedurally generated loot as the next thing.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2014, 04:50:10 am »

...... We could really do with having some stats to modify before having procedural loot.
Rough general rogue-like list:
Health
Armour
Dodge rate
Attack speed
Move speed
Damage
mana (if spells)
Attributes
etc....

We just need to decide whether to go with standard stats or something different.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2014, 03:08:46 pm »

Proc gen loot without stats =... random names?

Definitely need stats. But also before equipment gen...

We may need equipment slots :P
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2014, 06:27:38 pm »

+1 to the stats sjm suggested.

Leveling up should make the characters beard grow. Eventually it would trail several tiles behind a high level character.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 09:25:37 pm »

I'm changing my vote to stats.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2014, 12:04:14 am »

If stats are added, what do they each mean in terms of gameplay?  For example, health is easy enough to link to a health bar, but what does, say, dodge mean in an action rpg?  Rate of acceleration?

Also, do you guys want to go full DF and have stats for everything, or go minimalist and have just 5 or so that are checked for everything?  E.g. For movement you could have acceleration based on weight, strength, agility, shoe type versus floor type, number of legs, athletics skill and walking experience .... Or, just have a single speed stat.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2014, 12:22:17 am »

Minimalist, cause if you make it crazy, it will take forever to work with later (tweaks, balancing, etc.)

If you must make it a bit more complex (speedwise anyway): STR - total weight + speedstat  + item speedmods =total character movement speed    (and make weapon speed just be weapon based, no character stat mods)

As for dodge, for an action rpg, you can do it one of [at least] 3 ways (assuming dodge doesn't effect normal movement)
1: action button to go into dodge-roll state (like dark souls).  Dodge stat mod effects beginning/end, speed, invuln frames, whatnot
2: passive dodge1 (aka, a sword goes thru your body.  -DODGE- appears above character, 0 damage).  Kinda wacky for action games where if you hit something yer supposed to hit it.
3: passive dodge2 (aka, sword still hits you but its a glancing blow, so damage reduction effectively).
And of course, the no-dodge stat and base whatever else on other stats (if you do dodge roll, base on speed, etc) 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2014, 03:17:16 pm »

+1 minimalist unique stats.

My suggestions:

Potential stats:
Fortune: affects chance of good loot appearing and small bonus to attacks and defence
Bloodymindedness: amount of temporary hit points you gain after you kill an enemy.
Inventory Limit: how many items/equipment slots you have.

Hitpoint Suggestion: hit points can only be gained by killing enemies (i.e. no regeneration or potions)
Items over stats: Random loot is more important mechanically than your stats. (Do we even need player stats?)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2014, 06:19:54 pm »

Combine Bloodymindedness above with earlier suggestion: Beard grows as level up, add some flavor, rename to:
Grizzle: chance to shrug off blows, beard length (as descriptor at least, maybe the trailing thing later?), temp hp if you kill something in combat, and overall stamina.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Mastodon

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2014, 06:44:41 pm »

Combine Bloodymindedness above with earlier suggestion: Beard grows as level up, add some flavor, rename to:
Grizzle: chance to shrug off blows, beard length (as descriptor at least, maybe the trailing thing later?), temp hp if you kill something in combat, and overall stamina.
YES +! tenacious beard growth

This is why we throw ideas between one another.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2014, 01:48:08 am »

YES
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2014, 05:52:26 am »

Idea for overall game structure: you are underground, everything is solid rock that you can mine through.

The game world is infinite rock in all directions.  You can do this by having the camera focus on the player.  The player's coordinates remain the same, when you "move" you are actually moving all other objects around you in the opposite position.  Features are generated or destroyed when you travel a certain distance away from them.

You can find gems and metal in the ground.  Gems are for points, metal lets you make weapons and armor.  There are also randomly generated caverns you can come across where you will find monsters and maybe friends with missions for you.  These are generated off-screen before you reach them.

You can only mine for so long before your pick breaks, at which point you must forge a new one... or be trapped forever in the darkness.

Objective: survive as long as possible in the ever-shifting depths.

Edit: Also... in addition to HP, you have a sanity meter.  Sanity lowers if you spend too much time tunneling outside of natural caverns, so you have to face monsters at some point.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2014, 07:06:34 am »

I like the idea of mining (burrowing in roguelikes can be great fun, see Caves of Qud for instance) but the rock idea doesn't gel with the whale concept.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2014, 07:36:41 am »

Oh, have we settled on the whale idea?  I was looking at the non-whale-like screenshots and figured it was still up in the air.  *Shrug*  Well burrowing through living meat IS pretty hardcore.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2014, 11:12:54 am »

To be fair, some of that still works.
I quite like the sanity idea, 'specially as.... y'know, burrowing thru living meat.

Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5