Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Bay12 Community Designed Game - Escape a whale  (Read 5386 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: BTCDG - Bay12 Community Designed Game
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 12:51:37 pm »

While the original suggestion was made off top of head, thought about it some more...

"You are Urist Mc Ahab, out to get revenge on the Demon Whale that took your hand and killed your father 30 years ago.  After 30 years, the Demon Whale has finally resurfaced for its once-every-30-years breath and you are going to make it pay.

Unfortunately, you had no chance against the enormous whale and were completely engulfed.  Now inside the beast, can you make your escape? Will you find your lost hand?  Is your father still alive? Why are there demons in here? Will you finally be able to exact your revenge?"

Gimmicks: Tool hand replacements: start with a hook for a hand, in the dungeons you find tool attachments (like a mining pick, flamethrower that uses blubber as fuel, etc).  In the cities you can buy other hand attachments (shield hand, repeating crossbow, etc).  Some reason theres a lot of people down here missing one hand and out for revenge.

Enemies: Sea creatures, internal parasites, demons, demons possessing/afflicting/versions of stuff, various denizens stuck in whale, etc.

Dungeon themes: organ themed dungeons and misc demon portals to other planes, where the whale exists in multiple dimensions.  Goal/s are to get to the whales heart to kill it, escape, and maybe find your hand/info on father.

Thoughts?
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 12:58:12 pm »

I like this :D

I suppose the logical next step is
simple enemies

ie, single tile enemies with some stats for future reference.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 02:52:39 pm »

+1 to Urist McAhab.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 02:59:55 pm »

Simple enemies and simple loot seems important right now.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 11:43:03 am »

ITERATION VI
Version 0.006

Creatures can be added by raw files.  At the very least a creature also needs an animation file and some images in any of the tilesets to display.  Entities can also drop items on death, the example creature Shrimpy drops a Shrimp Pick that the dorf can pick up and use for mining.  The drop system can be extended later to include other things like spells or reactions or whatever that could proc on drop.  The dorf also has an inventory now.

Dorf cannot mine without the pick, so he has to kill Shrimpy and get the pick before he can mine.  Because there is no key-repeat delay the pick is grabbed almost instantly when Shrimpy is killed so you can't see it.

Spoiler: Basic Item Raw Format (click to show/hide)

Bearing in mind the chosen course of the Urist McAhab action-adventure game, I've decided to also make a ruling on the mechanical style: structured  roguelike.  I'm thinking like FTL/Spelunky, every game has the same ultimate goal/goals, and the structure is always essentially the same but lots of elements are randomized within that format.

As a consequence, the first step is to lock down the core gameplay.  We will do this in a 5 Room Dungeon.
Now we have movement, monsters and loot, let's add features that build on this within the 5RD.  In particular, since stuff can be added via the DF-like raw format, what needs to be coded are the specific functions for new raw tags, AI routines, UI etc etc
Once the 5RD gameplay is at a decent stage, we can move on to the world-map scale, towns, the purpose of the dungeons within that context and the overall structure.

Also, since we now have a thematic design document thanks to Moghjubar, suggestions will need to be more specific.  E.g. If you suggest a creature/item/weapon, put the suggestion in raw format and draw a tileset and make an animation file!  I don't mind doing that stuff if I have to, but you know, time is basically the only limiting factor in all this.

Also, I decided to try and get the graphics locked down by having a more traditional map+sprite system.  In the process I learnt that refactoring code when drinking wine is a bad idea.  Whole classes got deleted in rash moments of drunkenness.

Finally, raw formats are still incomplete and up in the air.  If you have any suggestions on how to define stuff, e.g. NPC AI, shout it out and I might add it to the format.

Basic loot and enemies done...

SuggestionVotes
Theme/Game styleCities/Dungeons inside a giant whale from HELL
FeatureInfinite proc.gen. map
Proc.gen. rooms
Proc.gen. loot
Bleeding walls
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:50:31 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2014, 01:16:53 am »

ITERATION VII
Version 0.007

Added acceleration to entity's movement and friction to floor tiles.  It needs a lot of tweaking, but it is there.  Added line-of-sight and ambient and point lighting.  This is done on map-tile resolution because I hope the data can be used by NPC AI, which is also why I did this before making enemies move.  One thing that always bugs me in games is NPCs being privy to info the player isn't.  Without any optimisation it already seems like it should be able to handle line-of-sight maps for several entities at once.  I used a flood-fill for the LoS, so there are a few artefacts that need to be ironed out.  Lighting also needs lots of tweaking.  In general, scooting around quickly makes it look awkward, but then the random map is horrible and it'll probably look better in a proper looking room and maybe at a slower run speed.

I'm thinking about proc. gen rooms and bleeding walls, versus moving shrimpy and basic AI.  Probably rooms next, so AI has something more meaningful to play with.

SuggestionVotes
Proc.gen. rooms
Proc.gen. loot
Bleeding walls
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: Bay12 Community Designed Game - Escape a whale
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2014, 02:34:50 am »

Wall bleeding will probably just be a thematic effect later anyway, for an actual vote id say: procedural rooms with also some set premade rooms to link to (so come dungeon time you can have puzzle rooms if you want).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2014, 04:57:21 am »

Wall bleeding will probably just be a thematic effect later anyway, for an actual vote id say: procedural rooms with also some set premade rooms to link to (so come dungeon time you can have puzzle rooms if you want).
+1

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2014, 08:12:50 am »

Vote for: Infinite map divided into procedurally generated rooms.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2014, 09:51:47 am »

This is nice.

How much can monster behavior vary?  Do they simply chase you or could there be options for giving them more interesting patterns?

Since we seem to be going in a roguelike direction, I'd suggest procedurally generated monsters and powerups, so each playthrough is different.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2014, 09:48:32 am »

I'm digging this. PTW.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2014, 10:22:18 am »

This is nice.

How much can monster behavior vary?  Do they simply chase you or could there be options for giving them more interesting patterns?

Since we seem to be going in a roguelike direction, I'd suggest procedurally generated monsters and powerups, so each playthrough is different.
It would be interesting to have monsters that have a very narrow visual range, for example, which could be potentially justifiable as certain WBCs (though my knowledge of immunology isn't comprehensive enough to say for sure) or failing that just something it's eaten. Hell, you could procedurally generate monsters by matching up movement/vision/attack behaviours, potentially.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 07:58:01 am »

Wall bleeding will probably just be a thematic effect later anyway

Sounds good.

No plans yet for monster behaviour...

Hell, you could procedurally generate monsters by matching up movement/vision/attack behaviours, potentially.

But this seems like a nice way to do it. The hardest thing for proc.gen. monsters will be graphics and sounds though.  Probably have to settle for randomisation within archetypes?  Like, here is a goblin template and here are the various options for randomisation.

ITERATION VIII
Version 0.008

Basic procedurally generated rooms added.  Very tricky... spent a lot of time just working on paper, and can appreciate well done RNG rooms a whole lot more!  Instead of going for something more organic decided to just get something simple that is potentially easier to expand upon, if required.  As it is, you can just specify an area, the number of rooms you want and the % of area to use and it'll plonk rooms down and connect up.  It's pretty ugly and some connections are broken   :-\

Turned up the ambient light so it isn't pitch black in the corridors.

Went half insane trying to fix fullscreen-exclusive mode not getting double buffering... everything failed, except turning off OpenGL acceleration resolved it.  So I guess it's running on software, but at least there is no tearing.  Tried different JREs to no avail.  Don't know what to do here, so will take the fps hit for now.

Fixed lighting, so lights decay over distance and all their colours integrate properly in the map.  Still some artefacts with line-of-sight code but not too major.

SuggestionVotes
Proc.gen. rooms
Proc.gen. loot
Bleeding walls
Puzzle rooms
Proc.gen. monsters

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 03:11:49 pm »

I think I can draw some semi-nice looking pixely art things for this. I think I can do some stuff to make the walls and floor fit the theme, at least. Give me a bit.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 04:02:05 pm »

Cool.  Also bear in mind tiles could be animated in a continuous loop or to run a few frames at intervals to add atmosphere.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5