Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing hematite to all_stone made changed all sorts of other things?  (Read 504 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All I did was change hematite's raw entry to

[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:VEIN:100]

and now all of the sudden, crazy stuff is happening like huge oval adamantine veins on the surface similar to microcline, tetrahedrite is not to be found anywhere, all kinds of other things aren't lining up as they used to.

What gives? I just want hematite to show up in more biomes so that I can play with more volcanoes and not other weird changes, is that possible?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

1. Did you make the change before or after generating a world?

2. What other things are happening? This sounds like you may have duplicated the raws.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Check your errorlog.txt in the main game folder.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

This might be another variant of this bug, where certain text editors create backup copies of any files you edit (and Dwarf Fortress parses both the modified file and the backup, resulting in hilarity).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bizarre.  That totally was it. I still had it open in the text editor, and there was a temp file version therefore in the folder. Closing the editor to make that go away fixed it. Thanks!

Not sure why two text files, neither of which changes any text for adamantine, tetrahedrite, or magnetite explains huge surface adamantine deposits, or tetrahedrite being replaced with magnetite in vein form, lol, but whatever. Apparently it does cause that somehow.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:34:48 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

It's because the 2nd file has entries with THE SAME name, which leads to "duplicate" errors which can bring anything.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository