Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Forge - Help?  (Read 1458 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Forge - Help?
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:14:32 pm »

So, I have tons of coke, pig iron, iron and flux... and when I try to make steel in my magma forge, it says "needs fuel"?  Help?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Forge - Help?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:50:29 pm »

To make steel it takes 1 pig iron, 1 iron bar, 1 flux, and 1 unit of fuel (charcoal or coke)
This is because you need the added carbon form the charcoal to get the steel. If you were using a regular smelter, you'd actually need 2 fuels, 1 to add to the mix, and 1 to smelt it all.

Wow totally not paying attention in hindsight. Yeah do you have any burrows set up keeping your forge dorfs from getting to the coke? Is there a drawbridge closed somewhere, or a locked door.
Or do you actually have "coke" or "charcoal", simply having bituminous coal won't do it, you need to turn it into the coke first.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:13:44 pm by Linkxsc »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:24 pm »

if it's actually a Magma forge, and not a metalsmith's forge, all it needs is 4/7 (or more) magma below the center tile of the forge.
If it's a metalsmith's forge yes check burrows and such, and that the coke isn't behind a locked door or there is no stair access or something
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:50:00 pm »

So, I have tons of coke, pig iron, iron and flux... and when I try to make steel in my magma forge, it says "needs fuel"?  Help?
if it's actually a Magma forge, and not a metalsmith's forge, all it needs is 4/7 (or more) magma below the center tile of the forge.
If it's a metalsmith's forge yes check burrows and such, and that the coke isn't behind a locked door or there is no stair access or something

It's not the center tile. It's any of the 9 tiles. If the impassable tiles are over the channel, the forge works as normal, and magma crabs cannot shoot/pass through them, for all you volcano users.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:04:38 pm »

(Also, you can't make steel in a magma forge, the forge is for items, the smelters are for bars. I hate to be THAT GUY)

Urist McThatguy interrupts posting: too helpful.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 11:18:20 pm »

If you have a magma smelter there are a few bugs that can happen. Also, you can have the coke other materials to run the reaction, but you can have trouble if the coke is in a single bin that is being hauled around or is targeted for hauling, or it is forbidden, or if the smelter is set to take from a specific stockpile rather from anywhere.

If you check the above conditions and there are no problems, try to move the coke to the same level as the smelter. I’ve heard it gets around some bugs.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:08:22 am »

I figured out what the problem was... my construction team had pre-ordered all of the marble and so even though it was in the stockpile, it wasn't available as flux.  All that stone was being held so that Urist McMason could build a really pretty second level on the fort.  :P  thanks for the help, sorry for the (eventually) unnecessary post.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:05:12 pm »

No post is unnecessary as long as knowledge is gained.
For example. You should consider taking down some of those marble walls and instead making them from marble blocks. 1 stone equals 4 blocks. Ofcorse that means you cant tear buildings later and use them as flux. But youll have more flux for steel in the meantime.