Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Pottery Broken - Random Greenware Items  (Read 1919 times)

jackfractal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobold Pottery Broken - Random Greenware Items
« on: May 31, 2014, 02:48:59 pm »

Hello!

I've been having a lot of fun playing Kobold camp over the last week or so, and I decided that I'd try using pottery in my most recent fort, having had trouble with running out of wood in a couple of forts (I was using planks).

Unfortunately, it looks like the pottery system is entirely bugged, like it is pretty much nonfunctional.

When you run the "shape X" reaction, such as "shape bricks(4) from fireclay" you will not get wet clay bricks. You'll instead get a random greenware item. Typically a greenware bowl or ladle.

This happens regardless of the type of object you're trying to make.

This -almost- works with the rest of the system. You can take any greenware item (like a bowl) and dry it into a bone-dry bowl.

You can then take those bone-dry bowls and turn them into any kind of stoneware item in the oven. Like you can turn a bowl into a bunch of bricks, or a pot, or a jug. Not the intended behaviour, but it sorta works.

Unfortunately. It looks like the tool-type item that you're using for the greenware and bone-dry phases of production interact badly with other reactions. If you have a farmers workshop, your kobolds will try to 'boil silk from a coocoon' with your greenware items. I don't think that reaction does anything except destroy the greenware item in question (you don't get greenware silk thread). I suspect this has to do with both silkworms and greenware items being 'tools'.

There's also several disconnects between the type of bone-dry and greenware items and the list that you can make in the Clay Oven. For example, you can 'shape a clay mechanism' and 'dry a clay mechanism' (both of these will -actually- create bowls or ladles) but you can't fire it, meaning you can never create working clay mechanisms.

jackfractal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Pottery Broken - Random Greenware Items
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 03:51:35 pm »

Looking into this more. It gets more and more weird. Because the tool items appear to be universal (any tool can swap in for any other tool in these reactions), it causes the Pottery to go completely bonkers when you have 'leather-hard' items. The drying process is flagged as [AUTOMATIC], so when you have -any- 'leather-hard' items (a leather hard ladle for example) the pottery will automatically queue every available 'drying' reaction, as all drying reactions can take any type of tool. This queue's more tasks then should be possible for that building.

jackfractal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 04:22:48 pm »

Hmm... trying to make sense of the RAWS.

It looks like the pottery system is broken for all races.

Everything to do with shaping clay takes place at "BUILDING:BRICKOVEN_KOBOLD", even the ones specifically flagged as "DWARF".

Dwarves don't have access to the "BUILDING:BRICKOVEN_KOBOLD" so they can't even make the broken pottery tool items, despite having a ton of reactions.

In addition, kobolds have both "CRAFT_CLAY_BRAZIER" and "DWARF_CRAFT_CLAY_BRAZIER" as permitted reactions. They have a ton of overlapping reactions, all added to the same building.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 04:45:35 pm »

#1, this should have gone in the kobold thread to keep the board cleaner.
#2 it sounds like the problem I had last night with dwarves. Check your raws, look for item_tools. If the file is on the small side, then your extraction got borked. Redownload the file, or re extract your download.

jackfractal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 05:10:33 pm »

Yes, that's what my last post was about. This also affects dwarves and gnomes.

Not sure what 'on the small side' means exactly. The file is 230 lines long. Does that count as 'on the small side'?

I tested in 4.j and version 5.1, and there are the same problems on both. I also re-extracted and tested with a fresh install and it's also still broken. Everything is the same, mushed together reactions. Dwarves can't make the Pottery workshop (despite it being on in the UI).

Checking the file size inside the rar, it looks like the item_tools.txt file that I have is the one in the zip (it's about 5k as well).

So I do not think that is the problem.

EDIT: Pastebinned my item_tools.txt file here, in case that helps.

Has anyone else been able to successfully use the Pottery system recently?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:27:38 pm by jackfractal »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 09:24:33 pm »

There was a raw bug a while back I found and fixed where candlelabra reactions were targeting any item toy instead of the item toy candelabra. Its possible the reactions of greenware are doing exactly this, especially if its a random item each time. I don't have much time for df right now but I'll see if I can find its target in the raws.

jackfractal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 09:26:09 pm »

I just checked 4j, to see if the problem was happening in the previous version. It isn't. The problem came from something in 5.0.  Looks like it is causing the problem with everything involving tools. You get sawdust bowls and sawdust ladles as well.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 10:33:00 pm »

Try redownloading. Sometimes the Archive gets borked, and won't all download.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 03:20:58 am »

Its your item_tools file that got overwritten after you changed tilesets. Currently only the default settings has the correct tool file, but I will fix it later today.  :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::