Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tricks of trade  (Read 1645 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tricks of trade
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:12:59 am »

1. Buy a "book of summoning" from drow caravan and build it in a display stand, increased room value.
2. Buy cloth and threads from caravans and sell them to Bomrek's Bargains, cheap and stable silver supply.
3. Buy fur for 500 shillings, shear a fur for hair and leather, weave wool cloth, sell wool cloth for 500 shillings, you got a free leather.
4. If you need platinum, mint gold coins and buy platinum bars, it costs less than transmuting gold to aluminum to platinum.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
Re: tricks of trade
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 05:40:56 pm »

I am rather noob-ish to  Masterwork, but  you can get more attention by changing your title to something that stands out more , life for example
"Tricks for Masterwork DF", etc. But otherwise i dont have any thing else to say  :'(
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:23:40 am »

Buy pigtails(3) from the food shop. Make three bolts of cloth and sell it to bomrek, for rapidly growing supply of silver.

Frostea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 06:31:29 pm »

While it might be obvious to some, you can buy magmaling from the pet shop (requires a trade license) which can be commanded to spawn magma at the alchemist lab. Pasture them where you want the magma to be, and POOF: Easy magma. Just note that you need to actually find the magma sea or conduct research in magma (liquid spawner) to enable magma workshops.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:25:55 pm »

Buy pigtails(3) from the food shop. Make three bolts of cloth and sell it to bomrek, for rapidly growing supply of silver.
Uh, so I don't have to wait the caravan for cloth. Dwarves, eat the pigtail seeds!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 02:06:22 am »

Thats working as intended btw. Buy raw materials, refine them and create products, sell for higher profit margin.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:44:40 am »

This isn't specific to Masterwork, but it's still profitable here.
I've always bought as much leather and cloth from caravans as I could, it's a simple process to turn them into light-weight fairly valuable crafts for the next caravan.
It takes a little time, like some of the other suggestions, but I find that a plus since it leaves one or two less idlers and you get a good tailor and leather crafter out of it (not to mention the ability to buy most things you want from the caravans).

It's dependent on actually getting caravans there in one piece so you can trade with them though.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:15:31 am »

If you need steel bars, don't hesitate to wait for a human caravan and kill it and melt every steel object they drop. You'll probably get somewhere around 45 steel bars by the time you've melted everything. It's easier than getting goblinite and removing the rust in the crucible and turning it into steel. For some reason, caravan guards don't like to protect their legs, so they're easy pickings if you have some archers on a tower and a decently equipped melee squad. It's enough steel so that you can easily give the civ some gifts once the next caravan comes around. Obviously, don't do this too often unless you want them to siege you.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 02:26:32 pm »

You can use fireplaces (or maybe it was braziers?) to light fires to flammable artifacts and create permanent smoke-inhalation traps; units will refuse to move onto a smoke-filled tile even if they are already suffocating or burning,  so a well-placed locking door/hatch/floodgate/bridge system can effectively halt and euthanize most any invader without the risk of them dodging out of the way like in lever-activated weapon traps.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 02:28:05 pm »

If I may request tips about Warlock mode that whould be great!
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 11:13:20 am »

If I may request tips about Warlock mode that whould be great!

This is technically an exploit that's probably gonna get removed at some point, but for now you can surround the Necromancy Altar with weapon traps to kill spawned "restless walkers" and thus enable them for re-butchering. It's a good source of food/bones/leather/souls for the early stages when you can't survive a siege and need to turtle up.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 12:00:36 pm »

Well for the whole easiness of trading via trade license. I normally have 1-2 priests praying for soft metal all game. After years I end up with hundreds of silver and gold and about 100 platinum. If you want to, just sell the platinum for 500 gold. I tend to do this for entry to guilds or for marksdwarf training. If you have gold bearing ore, then smelt some spring steel(1 steel 1 nickle[If you can't get nickle naturally, you can trade for it via the fine goods trade]) a couple times so you can make some spring steel precision tools in the toolmaker. Make 3. Then you can make the coin die for copper silver and gold then make a coin mint and make your own coins. If you do not have natural gold, and have natural silver, then just alchemist 24/7 silver to gold.