Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are caravans underground possible?  (Read 992 times)

Golbolco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are caravans underground possible?
« on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:34 am »

I'm modding in a race that lives underground and sends caravans. Will wagons be unable to traverse the caverns, and therefore I'll have to send them like how the elves do - no wagons? Or will their caravans just turn up on land anyways?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Are caravans underground possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:22:02 pm »

Caravans can leave via the caverns, but they will never enter underground, sorry.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Golbolco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:11:30 pm »

Do you know if this can be changed somewhere in the raws?

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 02:14:11 am »

It can't.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 05:22:20 am »

Maybe possible with dfhack. Teleports the caravan into the caverns as soon as it spawns on the map. But thats only a potential script, that has not been done yet.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 07:21:56 am »

Maybe possible with dfhack. Teleports the caravan into the caverns as soon as it spawns on the map. But thats only a potential script, that has not been done yet.

The wagons wont spawn if there is no 3 tile connection to the depot.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:48:21 am »

I said teleport after it spawned on the surface. Some civs dont even bring wagons at all btw.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 10:00:51 am »

I said teleport after it spawned on the surface. Some civs dont even bring wagons at all btw.
For the caravan to spawn at all, there needs to be a path to a trade depot.  If one is turtling away from the surface, there won't be any caravans.

A decoy trade depot on the surface might work, but I've heard strange things happen when a wagon tries to re-path to another depot.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:11:07 am »

For the caravan to spawn at all, there needs to be a path to a trade depot.  If one is turtling away from the surface, there won't be any caravans.

A decoy trade depot on the surface might work, but I've heard strange things happen when a wagon tries to re-path to another depot.

Like leaving?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 10:32:41 am »

Like leaving?
More like getting stuck in one spot, preventing that civ from ever sending another caravan.  Whoever discovered all this had something ludicrous like nine trade depots, each hide-able behind a drawbridge.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:38:12 pm »

Caravan != Wagon.

If there is no three tile path, they will spawn a caravan with pack animals, instead of pull animals.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 12:47:23 pm »

Caravan != Wagon.

If there is no three tile path, they will spawn a caravan with pack animals, instead of pull animals.
I do remember that pathing for wagons was particularly difficult, but the notion was that if there is no path to a depot, not even an on-foot caravan will show up.  If caravans only spawn on the surface, that means there needs to be (at least a decoy) trade depot accessible from the surface.
Just got back, updating:

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 12:49:06 pm »

Perhaps this will be possible in the next update since we're getting underground sites.
So go ahead and cyrogenically freeze yourself for the next year and a half, eh?

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 09:51:07 am »

A pack animal caravan will still show up even if no depot is accessable at the time. I've accidently forgot to leave the drawbridges down on more occasions than I can recall to testify to this with.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 06:05:14 pm »

A pack animal caravan will still show up even if no depot is accessable at the time. I've accidently forgot to leave the drawbridges down on more occasions than I can recall to testify to this with.
Then I mis-read the facepalm thread :)  This helps, since then the teleport script will work as expected.
Just got back, updating: