Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: adding the "x"(expand) function as material pick in workshops  (Read 334 times)

DeusMortem

• Bay Watcher
  • my dwarf has an atrocious spatial sense
    • View Profile

It most definitively has been suggested before in some way or another.
I would love to have an option in the workshops to expand the order to define certain materials. I know there is the chance to define them by assigning stockpiles and DF-hack seems to have something like that as well.
I haven't found the expand function so far and am therefore not sure if this could be modded without bothering toady. Plus it would be great if it would work with multiple materials and instead of specific items item types (eg. only leather bags for sand and only silk bags for collecting sand; or only charcoal for smelting pig iron/steel and only coal for smelting copper ...) since this function would not be always required i thought the "x" function when placing "buildings" would serve this purpose best.
Everybody that placed a slab is used to that function anyway, so there wouldn't be to much further learning required for old and new DF players.
Since I am no studied programmer i am not sure how difficult it would be to add it directly in vanilla DF.
But I think its probably one of the longterm goals to have the functionality of outside programs and easier access for new player implanted into DF. In my opinion, this would be one step in that direction.
In general it could be worthwhile cleaning up some functions and making it a bit easier accessible, but i am digressing
But do discuss and tell me why thats not the case  ;D

off-topic: would love a better search function for the forum (or a better understanding for it in case i just use it wrong), where would i post something like that?

edit.: btw i dont see a reason adding it to the php since there is already something similar and this is only a different way/solution
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:57:09 am by DeusMortem »
Eripe Diem