Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why are Pants OP?  (Read 23047 times)

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
Re: Why are Pants OP?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 05:56:04 pm »

Last time I modded anything, was before DF2012, but correct me if I am wrong, but misc objects didn't have any defined volume, did they? Which would make the contact area infinite small... making it very effective...

That is why platinum crutches are super weapons..

On a side note.. When dealing with falling objects, is the contact area most important, or is it the total weight? Will it calculate the contact area when dropping items?

All items have a volume. This volume is used for storage volume in containers and (with density) to find the weight of the item.
Corpses and body part items are special, all other items have one material and one volume. Clothing and armor is scaled depending on the race that made it.

A platinum crutch is a contact 34, penetration 125, weight 42.8, 1x velocity blunt weapon. In the hands of a human the momentum is 69 +100%/-50%, which is worse than a war hammer. The same human can kick for ~81 momentum. The contact area is also worse than a war hammer, and the "weapon" is slow to strike. Hardly a "super weapon".

Weight is important for falling objects. They will reach potentially fatal momentums regardless of the contact area. Yes, contact area is still calculated. Please remember that body parts have a surface area depending on the creature size and body part relsizes - contact area will not exceed the area of the body part struck!

Is that why my anvil traps are so lousy, but the seeds people keep leaving there have killed gobbos?

Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?
Now THAT is something... sigged.

Yay! First time sigged.
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
Re: Why are Pants OP?
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 07:37:59 pm »

you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER
Sigged :D
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER
Pages: 1 2 [3]