Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why are Pants OP?  (Read 23059 times)

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
Why are Pants OP?
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:39:52 am »

Sorry if this has been posted before, but this has been bothering me. How in Armok's name does a man bash my skull in with a pair of reed pants? I don't have any screenshots, but they're all over the place. I can get being one-shotted by bare hands and such, but how do a pair of non-metal pants achieve lethal force? Or shatter limbs?
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Why are Pants OP?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:47:42 am »

you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:54:57 am »

A zombie dwarf slapped my entire fortress to death with a leather glove, let alone a pair of pants, just the other day.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:58:57 am »

Having done extensive research on this topic, I can assist:

1. The pants are not considered flexible when being used as a weapon. In fact, the weapon is more similar to a pair of pants vacuum-packed into a compact ball or cube.

2. Plant fibers in DF have a higher density than materials such as silk, muscle, or bone.

3. Skulls are known to be thin and prone to shattering in DF. This may change in the next version or with mods.

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:13:16 am »

Having done extensive research on this topic, I can assist:

1. The pants are not considered flexible when being used as a weapon. In fact, the weapon is more similar to a pair of pants vacuum-packed into a compact ball or cube.

2. Plant fibers in DF have a higher density than materials such as silk, muscle, or bone.

3. Skulls are known to be thin and prone to shattering in DF. This may change in the next version or with mods.

1. Okay, that makes sense.
2. What. Just...what.
3. Is that all creatures, or just dwarves?
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 10:02:57 am »

2. What. Just...what.
1. Well, I like to think of everything in an attack as a ball of the material too, gets (a little) less odd.
2. They weight more per cubic meter. I don't really know how to put this in a simpler way.
3. All of them, for some unknown reason. Toady said it's fixed for the next release.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:14:32 am »

2. What. Just...what.
1. Well, I like to think of everything in an attack as a ball of the material too, gets (a little) less odd.
2. They weight more per cubic meter. I don't really know how to put this in a simpler way.
3. All of them, for some unknown reason. Toady said it's fixed for the next release.

Okay, I think I get it now. Just weirds me out. Moving on, is there any way to purposefully arm my military with articles of clothing? A fortress I have has a annoying lack of metal, but plenty of room for a textile industry.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:34:44 am »

2. What. Just...what.

Okay, I think I get it now. Just weirds me out. Moving on, is there any way to purposefully arm my military with articles of clothing? A fortress I have has a annoying lack of metal, but plenty of room for a textile industry.

You can force your dwarves to equip anything as a weapon using DFhack. That's not to say that it's a good idea - they'll still get murdered by virtually anything if you're not into danger rooms.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:51:47 am »

2. What. Just...what.

If you have no metal use crossbows

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:32:40 pm »

We have a few crossbows, but my marksdwarves think they're MC Hammer. So many dead. We had a danger room. Apparently, we accidently put two of our precious metal spears into it. I think they came off some dead adventurers I scouted the area with before I reclaimed. Regardless, danger room is offline until I find out exactly where I put the trigger. I think I rigged it to a pressure plate somewhere in the main rooms. With all the other plates. So far, three dwarves have given their lives trying to remove those spears. One of them was a legendary cheesemaker.  :'( We thankfully have plenty of bandages for all the horrible screwups we have here.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 02:37:22 pm »

Ahh, that precious Dwarf Fortress moment when you linked a death trap to some trigger but can't remember which one.

I would recomend you to install Modest Mod
It's more a bunch of bugfixes than a mod, i think it solves the marksdorfs with no ammo/wrong ammo thing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:40:26 am by klefenz »

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 08:27:11 pm »

Ahh, that precious Dwarf Fortress moment when you linked a death trap to some trigger but can't remember which one.

I would recomend you to install http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105871.0
It's more a bunch of bugfixes than a mod, i think it solves the marksdorfs with no ammo/wrong ammo thing.

Thanks! I'll try that as soon as I have the time. I think we found the right plate this time. Though now I've unlinked four plates that go to other things that I now have to track down. I know one of them goes to our irrigation floodgates. That are now stuck open. I really need to label these things.

Is there any way to tell your dwarves to NOT target a creature? Like item forbidding? Most of our ammo is in the river due to a giant sponge by the fortifications. The random animal murdering industry is keeping us in bone bolts at least.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 08:42:38 pm »

Yeah, this is why I made a race without a skull.
Or vital organs.
Seriously, the only organ they really have is their eyes. Having a completely solid head prevents being pantsed to death.

blazing glory

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 05:35:49 am »

Or vital organs.
Seriously, the only organ they really have is their eyes. Having a completely solid head prevents being pantsed to death.

That's a nice head you have on your shoulders!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:04 am »

Or vital organs.

What about making a race of sentient beards?
Pages: [1] 2 3