Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New export/view format for Legends mode  (Read 335 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
New export/view format for Legends mode
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:00:29 am »

With all the talk about worlds continuing and how awesome Legends will result from it, it occurred to me that a relatively straightforward improvement would be an option to export Legends data in wikitext.  Then a desktop wiki client like Zim and others can browse it.  I haven't found any prior suggestion along these lines, but my experience with the forum search function has been less than ideal.

I don't know the details, but it sounds similar to what Legends Viewer does under the hood.  And it might be appropriate that this stay a third-party utility that parses XML into wikitext; I can see it going either way.  If wikitext generation is done natively, it can include additional data like the appearance of each historical figure and pages on known procedurally-generated species/beasts.    A norm of including a wikitext page alongside each mod (in the raw folder, but ignored by the main game) would also be useful since they could be stuffed into the local wiki for the player's convenience.

Regardless, someone will come up with utilities to spruce up the wikitext (for example, embedding links to the DF wiki).

Zim itself is cross-platform and GPL2, so it should be possible to package it alongside DF or LNP.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map