Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An old board game I made as a school project where you control a mining company  (Read 860 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

In another thread, I had mentioned I had made a board game, where each player is in control of a mining company, as a geology project.  The creator of that thread asked to see it, so here it is.  If anyone wants to run a game of this on the forums, then I'll post what abilities each of the cards possessed at each level, but the basic instructions are below.

A Game of Ores

Economy & Prices

When a turn begins, the economy for the turn is determined.  The first turn is the exception to this rule, due to that turn not having an economic roll to keep things equal for all players when they are placing their first mine.  Each ore has its price tracked separately, increasing or decreasing depending upon the roll of two six-sided dice (see chart below for the value change), and all ores have a beginning price of 500 Ӿ.  You only need to roll for the ores that are mined.

Code: [Select]
Roll            Price Change
2 or 3            -100 Ӿ
4 or 5            -50 Ӿ
6,7, or 8 No change
9 or 10            +50 Ӿ
11 or 12    +100 Ӿ

In order to found a new mine, you must multiply the value of the ore that will be collected by the mine by a factor, determined by a roll of two six-sided dice. (See below chart)

Roll      Multiplier
2,3,11,12 x5
4,5,9,10 x10
6,7,8    X20

Road Segments cost 100 Ӿ for one of the short segments, and 200 Ӿ for the long segments.  A connection between the mine and a town is required for selling ores.  Roads cannot be placed over oceans.
The prices of cards vary depending upon how high of a level that you want to have, and do not vary according to type (e.g. Sabotage, Equipment, and Defense).  Low level cards cost 1000 Ӿ and have the weakest abilities.  Medium level cards cost 5000 Ӿ and have slightly better abilities.  High level cards cost 10000 Ӿ and have the best abilities.

Set-up
Get a calculator and some lined pieces of paper.  Fill out the sheets like the example cards, without the figures.
Determine who will move first at the start of each round.  That player will sell first, buy items first, play cards first, and collect ores first.  Play will continue clockwise or counter-clockwise.
Place ore tokens within the black borders that designate the areas that the ore can be mined within.  Only place one ore per area.  You will have two left over.
Next, place towns around the map, keeping those of the same color together in a single area.  Connect the towns with roads, except if the towns are over an ocean.  Towns over oceans are automatically connected.  You do not need to place all of the town pieces on the board.
Each player gets one mine, 2500 Ӿ, and either 2 short segments or 1 long segment at the startup.

Card Types

Equipment cards
Equipment cards increase the production of the mine that it is used upon.
New production = Current + (Current x % on card)

Sabotage cards
Sabotage cards have one of three abilities:
Decrease production
[New production = Current - (Current x % on card)]
Remove equipment used upon mines
Stall a mine’s production by a number of turns.

Defense cards
Defense cards block the next X number of sabotage cards, where X equals the number that is determined by the card. These cannot be used to stop sabotage cards played before the card is played.

Ore Types
Mithril    – a red-green bar
Granite    – a brown and white rock
Iron       – a gray bar
Copper     – a copper bar
Obsidian   – a black arrowhead
Lead       – a dark gray cube
Gold       – a gold bar
Uranium    – a green rod
Adamantine – a light blue wafer
Fossils    – a rock with brown fossils

Turn Format

Sell ores
Sell ores collected at the end of your previous turn at the current market value.  Economic rolls happen before this phase, except on the first turn, when they do not happen at all.  Keep track of the current price on a separate sheet of paper. A different player rolls for the economy at the start of each phase. All players sell their ores at this time.  You do not need to sell all your ore.

Buy Cards, Create Mines, and Build Roads
See Economy & Prices for cost required to buy cards, mines, and roads.  Mines are able to be built alongside roads.  Keep track of the mines you own on a separate sheet of paper.  You can only buy 10 cards at a time.  All players perform this action.

Use Cards
Utilize cards that you have bought.  One player plays a card, then passes play to the person to their right.  Continue this way until no one has any cards remaining.  All cards remain on the field until the end of the turn (defense excluded).  Calculate changes induced by equipment and sabotage cards as they are played, rounding to the tenth decimal place.  Defense cards remain on the field until used to block a sabotage card.  At the end of the round they were used, return defense cards to the stack, even if there are ‘counters’ still left upon the card.  You can choose not to play all of your cards

Gain Ore
Collect the ores from the mines.

Victory Condition
The player that is victorious is the player that has the most money after 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 turns.  This is determined by all players before the game starts.  Default is 30 turns.  Players may extend the number of turns when the end is nearing if all agree upon the change.

Card Examples

Example Player Card
Money: 4025 Ӿ

Ore per turn
Uranium Ore:     17.3
Adamantine:       7.9

Mines – # on bottom left of mine card / production
                          1           /     17.3
                          5           /      7.9

Example Economy Card
Ore              -  Selling price
Mithril          -         400Ӿ
Granite          -
Iron             -
Copper           -
Obsidian         -         350Ӿ
Lead             -
Gold             -
Uranium          -         550Ӿ
Adamantine       -         500Ӿ
Fossils          -         450Ӿ
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:41:56 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Interesting. I could see that working pretty well as a forum game. For a tabletop board game you'd probably want to streamline a bunch of it to make it easier to bust out and play, but I can see what you were going for with everything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd recommend reducing all prices by a factor of 50, and calling them "1000's" instead. It seems like $50 is the smallest increment of cash in the game? Might as well call that smallest cash unit '1 unit' and then the accounting is a lot simpler whilst still keeping the flavor and balance the same.

When the first instruction was to whip out a calculator, i had an idea that there would be a few places the game could be streamlined.

EDIT: and you have fractional ore per turn? that kind of seems like an unnecessary level of detail. Surely that can be scaled or rounded so fractions / decimals aren't needed? I really like the idea, and think streamlining everything would make it a better game to play.

One idea would be to have mines all have base values of a factor of 5 (so mines could produce a base amount of 5, 10 15, or 20), and the equipment cards having bonuses of 20%, 40%, 60% etc. then none of the calculated outputs would ever be a non-integer, and you could throw tokens on top of a mine, e.g. white ones, where each one is +20%, and once you get 5 white tokens on a mine, you swap them for 1 red token which is +100%. Maybe even 4 red tokens swap to 1 blue token which is worth +400% (meaning a blue token mine makes 5 times the base value)

That would make it really easy to keep track of production without needed to write so much down. if an event dropped a mine's output you could pull production tokens off, and maybe have some black tokens which are -20% each once there are no white tokens, so a base-5 mine with 3 black tokens would make 2 ore per turn.

I hope you don't mind me throwing some ideas out, but these just came to me when I was reading your description.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:17:50 pm by Reelya »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.