Advanced search  

Poll

How did our ancestors treat dragons?

Kicked their Ass!
Argued with Them!
Ignored them!
Passively followed them to our DOOM

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's Protect Democracy from 'Ol EJ: King of Dragon Pass LP RING MEMBER VOTE!  (Read 7704 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Keep 'Ol EJ from Dying: King of Dragon Pass LP
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 02:01:47 pm »

I see a Trickster on the ring! This'll be an entertaining start.

What are our ring candidates and who's in the back?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 03:07:12 pm »

Ah, excellent.

Let's see, poor harvest. Best to invest points into Herds and Hunting to make up for it. I also suggest points in Diplomacy and Trade, so we can see about improving our general situation with the nearby clans. So, 1 in Crops, 2 in Herds, 1 in Hunting, 1 in Diplomacy, 1 in Trade, and 1 in Reserve.

We're playing on Hard, which can be really brutal. I recommend focusing on stockpiling food and building up our defenses in the first year, as well as exploring the Tula so we can find whatever resources are available for our crafters to use.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 03:31:56 pm »

I see a Trickster on the ring! This'll be an entertaining start.

What are our ring candidates and who's in the back?

Since our patron diety has requested it...
Here is our potential nobles, sorted by catagory.  Rows count first, from left to right, so first row are best, second row are not as good.  Upper left is best, lower right is worst shown (although we almost certainly have worse).

On the leadership ranking page, I highlighted the highest leadership noble that worships Ernalda Blaze as their primary deity.  Potentially a good clan leader, although I've had trouble seeing how the clan hurts by having a clan leader not match the primary clan deity.

Nobles (more useless ones might not have made the top lists, but such inferior candidates really don't matter right now, as ring skills translate into clan skills):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also note that clan magic distribution and our clan ring are connected!  So, if people generally want to boost clan magic in a category, we want a ring member that lets us do so.  Basically, let me know if you generally want to be able to put two points in any category, and I'll tell you what worshiper we need on our ring.

More on clan ring and matching worshipers to clan magic here.

One final thing: Heroquests are more successful if we have seven different gods represented on the ring (seven different symbols on the corner of the portraits), so I'll be aiming for that as our target ring.

As a personal note: I like having tricksters on the ring!

Clan magic can still be distributed for this year: I fast-forwarded to find out our clan member, but didn't save.  I'm pretty sure the clan members are constant.  Note that clan magic can only be distributed according to what I previously showed: New clan members will only take office afterwards, and affect future years (and hopefully not die a lot and require me to constantly remake the ring, sigh).

Ah, excellent.

Let's see, poor harvest. Best to invest points into Herds and Hunting to make up for it. I also suggest points in Diplomacy and Trade, so we can see about improving our general situation with the nearby clans. So, 1 in Crops, 2 in Herds, 1 in Hunting, 1 in Diplomacy, 1 in Trade, and 1 in Reserve.

We're playing on Hard, which can be really brutal. I recommend focusing on stockpiling food and building up our defenses in the first year, as well as exploring the Tula so we can find whatever resources are available for our crafters to use.

Sounds like a good plan, but I'd like to hear from a few more.  Personally, I'm not a fan of saving magic unless I plan to quest, and I am a fan of always putting one point in war magic, but at this stage it could go either way (it's not like my advanced game with three active feuds...)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 03:36:28 pm »

Pity Jenesta isn't a good leader. She's got great Animal and Plant, though, so we could have her on the ring and use the Trickster as well for the other category and not lose anything.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 03:44:00 pm »

2 in Crops, 2 in Herds, 1 in Diplomacy, 1 in Trade, and 1 in Reserve.

Hunting is less than useless.

I've had trouble seeing how the clan hurts by having a clan leader not match the primary clan deity.

If the clan leader follows our patron god,we receive one extra magic point per year.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:52:20 pm by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 07:08:43 pm »

That KentVent, he's just good at freakin EVERYTHING.

Anyway, I say 2 Herds, 1 Hunting, 2 Trade, and 2 Diplomacy. Basically, since crops are a loss apparently, focus on getting food in every other way possible.

Also, this game looks awesome and hits upon an idea I have wanted to see for a long time (Tribal survival stuffs :)))
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:12:02 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 07:31:40 pm »

That KentVent, he's just good at freakin EVERYTHING.

LOL, you have no idea how right you are...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 07:43:31 pm »

If I remember correctly "good" is actually the second worst skill level.

I'm not going to post an exact allocation, but avoiding crops this year and leaving a small amount of magic in reserve are good things to do.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 08:57:28 pm »

Eventually you should make a lot of trade goods and trade them and some of your herd for artifacts.

For now my advice is to explore your lands as they usually have some nice and safe finds.

MAgic:

1 Children

2 Herds

1 War

2 in either Quest or Discoveries, whichever one helps you explore

1 in reserve

Children and herds because they will increase your population (for raids and production) and herds (for food and for trading), and I assume starting with those would be good for the long term.

1 War in case of being raided or if you decide to raid in the fire season

2 for your early exploration of your own lands

1 in reserve for use as battle magic in case of being raided
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:05:05 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 10:27:46 pm »

As for my plans, I'm just going to try a couple cattle raids during fire season.  Hopefully they won't get caught midway and become full-scale raids...

I don't think mysteries or quests help with exploration.  War or trade might help if our exploration party gets attacked (or might not, I'm just spit balling here).

Having magic in reserve is a tricky thing: On one hand, magic in reserve confers good luck on the tribe, while negative magic (a magic debt, essentially) confers bad luck.  On the other hand, it seems that if you have magic in reserve, something is going to drain it, plus a point in war during the magic planning stage is far more effective than putting a point in war during any actual conflict.  That reserve magic point really only helps if we either don't get attacked, or the battle is such that I don't have to use it (roughly even odds).

If I remember correctly "good" is actually the second worst skill level.

I'm not going to post an exact allocation, but avoiding crops this year and leaving a small amount of magic in reserve are good things to do.
Close, not listing the skill on the character sheet is the worst, with fair being second worst.  But yeah, "good" is only third worst, with "very good", "excellent", "renowned", and "heroic" above it.  "Good" isn't really worth writing home about: It's more an indicator that the character is open to growth in that field, not an indicator of any real skill.

As for the crops, I might suggest trying to mitigate the poor crop yields with some magic, only because sometimes it works and it hasn't really been suggested.  I'll also be changing to barley from wheat, because barley is far less affected by crop yield than wheat (although I have to keep ?20%? of each crop, or we risk upsetting certain deities).

Since I haven't heard much on the ring, I'll suggest that we can keep the current ring.  Although the game manual and wiki generally suggests changing the ring as the first thing when starting a game, this one seems halfway decent, so it can probably remain at least for a couple months.  Not much else to do during Dark season anyways...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 10:43:42 pm »

Hmmm, something in my gut is telling me we need a Trickster chieftain.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 06:41:07 am »

Hmmm, something in my gut is telling me we need a Trickster chieftain.
A ring ENTIRELY CONSISTING OF TRICKSTERS.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:02 am »

Tricksters are pretty rare; you'll barely encounter more than two during a playthrough.

Don't bother putting trying to boost children; they're just more useless mouths to feed and you can't feed them to magma/feed them magma. You can raise population easier through recruitment (Which inevitably brings more useless children anyway).

As for magic:
Herds is something we want as much as possible.
Stick one in war since we want to engage in at least 1 raid during fire season. (Though we could probably just cattle raid and get away with it)
Unless we're planning on Heroquesting right away I wouldn't bother with quests.
Same for Mysteries if you aren't planning of sacrificing for lore.
Maybe one point in trade in case we run short of food. Trading for food is better than slaughtering animals.
Don't bother with Health, Hunting, and Crops for now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:05:37 am by Blaze »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:43 pm »

I should probably point out, that we start out not knowing any blessings (except the ones we already get from our active shrines).  So if we want to sacrifice to a deity for some sort of benefit, we'll be using Mysteries, as that gets us the actual blessings, plus gives us a residual effect that more-or-less reflects that deity.

For instance, if you sacrifice to a war god to learn mysteries, you'll still be better at war even if you didn't chose a specific blessing.

No Mysteries allotted sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't.

Personally, I'm a fan of "investing" some of what I get from a successful cattle raid into a sacrifice.  If you have excess cattle, other tribes "relieve" you of them anyways.  Otherwise I can usually find some excess goods to sacrifice.  Again, there really isn't much else to do during Dark Season.  That being said, in our first year we probably have enough to do so that we don't need to sacrifice to do something useful, but they certainly don't hurt.

Most tasks outside the tula fail in Dark Season, and it's really too early to allocate next year's crops (although it is a good time to fiddle with wilderness and field sizes).  No trade, exploration, diplomacy, or war.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 12:02:10 pm »

Ok, before I can play the first year, I need to determine what the community wants for the magic allotment and what sort of actions the community wants me to do during the first year.

If nobody responds, I'll do the math myself and figure out "the average course/magic allotment".

OR...somebody could just summarize everything for me, and I won't look too closely at the accuracy of their summary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3