Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm Making a Strategy Roguelike (Pen and Paper)  (Read 1106 times)

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm Making a Strategy Roguelike (Pen and Paper)
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:21:32 pm »

I'm going to make a game.  I know only the basics of java script.  I made rock, paper, scissors shoot by following a guide I found on the internet.  As such, I'll put up the , but no promises at all. 

I already have an idea of what the game will be like.  First things first, I'm going to make it pen and paper.  This pen and paper version will be quite literally how the game will play out minus the computer's processing power.  Unfortunately that means turns will be on the scale of EU the board game slow, due to the scope of the game. 

So, now onto the game.  I hope to make a massive conflict simulator.  A rogue-like that takes place on the open plains of   fantasy Europe.  The premise is that you would be a captain of one of the block regiments of Eurasian warfare from 1000-1900.  I'll start with medieval weapons, from swords to spears, and then eventually add in guns, which will start as a thing you need to lean against boxes, and cannot reload, and cannons, which are area of effect weapons and go from there to later periods of war.  As for armor, I'll start with cloth armor, then move on to heavier armor

I guess I'll start with the scope of the game. 

A regiment is formed of 20-50 men. Each man is one character, and there is one character per space, as is typical of a rogue-like.  A soldier is one of the 26 letters of the alphabet.  A captain/standard bearer/chaplain is the same letter, except uppercase.  Depending if I need more, I'll add more. 

Each regiment has a standard load out.  Every item added slows down a soldier based upon the weight of the stuff.  This includes both attacking and parrying with weapons. 

Because of the scale of the game, I'm going to make combat as simplistic as possible. 

Soldiers are going to have three types of items, the weapon in their front hand, the weapon in their off hand, and their armor.  A unit dies when a weapon successfully bypasses armor. 

A unit also has five levels of training. 
Conscript
Militia
Soldier
Knight/Veteran
Legendary Fighter

Combat works as so, turns are simultaneous, with one sides defense happening as another side attacks.  Then the turns switch.  There are different ranges to combat that will modify chance to hit based on weapon length. 

The Green Knight, attacks The Legendary Black Knight with a steel longsword.  The Black Knight parries with his shield (Shields count as weapons).  The Black Knight attacks the Green Knight with his mace.  The mace hits the Green Knight in the wooden shield.  The Black Knight has a close range weapon made for destroying armor, and so the shield is cracked.  This stuns the Green Knight, and The Black Knight is able to finish off the Green Knight with ease, as the Green Knight only has chain mail to protect him.  This is what I want combat to be like, however, without the details being so detailed, and with more numbers.  This battle took place at close range, in medium ranges and more, it is not as quick, and the Green Knight would have the advantage with his longer sword.  This will be gone over when I talk about formations. 

The Math
Here is where you guys can help me.  I'll probably get the math out tonight, if not tomorrow for a basic Green Knight vs Black Knight skirmish.  I'm torn between having a deterministic way of seeing who wins vs a random die roll.  I'm leaning towards the former, however, then balance will be more crucial to gameplay.  The latter seems kind of lazy to me, but might have to be considered with ranged attacks such as archery, unless I use range as the determining factor for victory (Which seems a good idea!). 

There are probably numerous things I omitted, and need to discuss eventually.  I'll make a list of such here. 

Longer ranged melee attacks (spears)
Medium Ranged Attacks
Mounts
Archery
Formations (This one is KEY)
Morale
Campaign 
Armor and Weapons Stats.  (Also Important)
Anything else someone thinks I should discuss.
I'm going to head up to bed, and probably read this, hate it, and rewrite a bunch.  (Guess what!  I already did!)  Although the Green Knight vs the Black Knight was cool.   

Code: [Select]
.....GB.....