Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]

Author Topic: Back to the dwarf game...  (Read 185593 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the dwarf game...
« Reply #840 on: February 15, 2014, 02:20:21 am »

Well it seems Farmerbob is now the Master Thread Necromancer. All hail the Lord Of The Dead Posts.
But has he turned his Necro into a succession game? :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 15, 2014, 11:46:31 am »

There are 79 more tasks left until the dwarf game is complete.  Some of them are rather large.<P>While I'm working on that, I set up a Dwarf Page with a movie player on it and some movies you can download.  The movie files are fairly large, but the player itself comes with one of a river through the woods, and I've put the movie files in different bundles so you don't need to download the ones you aren't interested in.

Obviously, the ten year anniversary refers to the Dwarf Page.  Certainly a milestone worth noting!

vallannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 23, 2014, 11:49:27 am »

EIGHT YEARS FROM NOW.

I think we can take this as conclusive proof the next version will be out by August. Toady has prophecised!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 23, 2014, 08:57:35 pm »

EIGHT YEARS FROM NOW.

I think we can take this as conclusive proof the next version will be out by August. Toady has prophecised!
Excellent.
Bring out the cheap cava and tiny cakes, it's time for a pre-emptive party!
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 25, 2014, 11:29:13 am »

Ooh, the 10th anniversary of Dwarf Fortress will be this year. Nice.

The tenth anniversary of what exactly? Afaik work began in 2002, and the first release was in 2006 :P

The tenth anniversary of the half-way point between 2002 and 2006.

Half-point 3 confirmed
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 29, 2014, 04:04:04 am »

When I first necro'd this thread after Toady referenced it, I expected to get shouted down or complained at.  While I'm absolutely certain that some folks had the urge to do so, it's flipping amazing that the only responses that directly reference my necroing of this thread are both polite and humorous.

I swear that this forum community is both funny and mature on levels that are simply "win".  I haven't loaded up DF in six months, and I still come here several times a week just to see what you folks have to say.  I don't come here to see if Toady has put out an update (I DO watch for that, but that's not why I have been visiting here recently.  I WILL play the next release.)

I mean, look at all the violence in DF, and look at how we treat one another in these forums, with rare exceptions.  This forum could be thrown straight into the faces of all those crackpot psychogabblers who try to say that exposure to violence in media unbalances people.  (I'll give them some credit about it being inappropriate for young children.)  There really are very few places on the internet where violence that is NOT real is discussed with as much depth as we go into here.  I'd go off on a limb and say that there are no other places where plans for violence that is NOT real are discussed in such incredible detail.  There are thousands of pages of descriptions of exactly how to make creatures fall into or get trapped inside various types of traps where they will then be killed in terrible ways.

Here we are, discussing all of these things in an polite and considerate manner, in a forum that might possibly be the largest collection of tips and tricks of how to kill things in a virtual world.

Thank you all for being so awesome.  You'll probably even forgive me for not putting this in a new thread, which I *did* consider, briefly, but then realized that it does sort of fit here, because not only has the game grown, so has the community.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 29, 2014, 01:49:01 pm »

That was beautiful

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 12, 2014, 07:01:57 am »

There are 79 more tasks left until the dwarf game is complete.  Some of them are rather large.<P>While I'm working on that, I set up a Dwarf Page with a movie player on it and some movies you can download.  The movie files are fairly large, but the player itself comes with one of a river through the woods, and I've put the movie files in different bundles so you don't need to download the ones you aren't interested in.

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but what videos were these..? I wasn't lurking that early in DF time, and I don't even know what he's referring to here. Preliminary intro-like videos made in ascii? They sound awesome, heh.

But I also agree with your sentiment Farmerbob. The curses forum is especially chill.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 14, 2014, 09:40:12 pm »

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but what videos were these..? I wasn't lurking that early in DF time, and I don't even know what he's referring to here. Preliminary intro-like videos made in ascii? They sound awesome, heh.

But I also agree with your sentiment Farmerbob. The curses forum is especially chill.

They were just videos of gameplay, but they also served as a kind of a tutorial, at least for me.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 26, 2014, 12:52:34 pm »

The movies are here now for anyone who wants a look at what Dwarf Fortress was like shortly before its first official release.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]