Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Racial Metals and Simplified Military (WIP)  (Read 918 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
Racial Metals and Simplified Military (WIP)
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:30:36 am »

So this will be my first attempt at a mod. Basically, what I'm trying to do is add a special metal for each race, and simplify the military armoring process.

I'm trying to make armor into specific full suits that include all the normal individual pieces (Helms, gloves, boots, etc...). This will hopefully allow players to work around the spotty and somewhat slow process of armoring their military.

Racial Metals:

Dwaves- Chivardrium (Very Heavy but almost impossible to penetrate.(Armor only. Composed of an alloy of Platinum and Gold)

Humans- Ebonsteel (An alloy of Steel, obsidian, and Ash. Stronger than steel and lighter as well)

Elves- Lunar Copper (Better than Iron while having the same weight. Made from an alloy of Silver and Copper)

Goblins- Gornar (Equal to iron, but is toxic to non goblins. Made from an alloy of Lead and Bones.)

New Armor:
Cloth Armor       
Leather Armor   
lamellar         
Chain Mail
Scale Mail
Chain and Plate
Full Plate

(These occupy all the normal clothing slots, but offer different levels of protection and coverage, essentially they are full sets)

Opinions?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:35:57 am by moghopper »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Racial Metals and Simplified Military (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:54:09 pm »

Sounds good and is not too hard to make. Good choice for a first try in modding. The smelter reactions and the Wiki should be all you need.

Mind that for the leathers you have to make a creature that uses them as a material. SKIN_TANNED:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:YOUR ID HERE:LEATHER
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:59:17 pm »

Sounds good and is not too hard to make. Good choice for a first try in modding. The smelter reactions and the Wiki should be all you need.

Mind that for the leathers you have to make a creature that uses them as a material. SKIN_TANNED:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:YOUR ID HERE:LEATHER

Really? I thought I could just make a reaction that uses some leather to produce the leather armor.

And I should mention that all the armor is going to be tagged [shaped] to avoid the whole layering thing.

For the Goblin metal, I was thinking of it causing these effects on contact:

Short-Term: Blistering, Intense Pain
Mid-Term: Intense Pain, Necrosis
Long-Term: Intense Pain, Vomiting Blood, Puking

It's really dangerous, so you need a VERY good Medical staff to keep victims alive.

Doesn't seem to work. Elves touching it show no effect.
Here is the RAW:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:27:21 pm by moghopper »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:23:33 pm »

You need itemsyndrome and/or spatter_add, two dfhack plugins for your goblin metal.

Check the leather reaction, it takes the TAN_MAT of skin, which is declared in each creature as "creature name leather". If you want other types of leather, you need other materials declared in either all creatures, or redirect the reaction to one new creature you made.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 01:29:01 pm »

You need itemsyndrome and/or spatter_add, two dfhack plugins for your goblin metal.

Check the leather reaction, it takes the TAN_MAT of skin, which is declared in each creature as "creature name leather". If you want other types of leather, you need other materials declared in either all creatures, or redirect the reaction to one new creature you made.

Okay, that explains the poison not working.

Hmm... I was thinking of ditching Hard leather. I don't really need it. Maybe throw in cloth armor instead...

EDIT: Maybe I could have the Goblin metal vaporize/Liquify at the Internal temperature of Elves, Humans and Dwarves. Would that work for Arrows and Bolts?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:05:44 pm »

can just make elves and such weak to the goblin metal making it do more damage to them [MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:material:10:1] just like werebeasts

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:08:18 pm »

can just make elves and such weak to the goblin metal making it do more damage to them [MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:material:10:1] just like werebeasts

That should work. Which RAWS file do I put that in?

Sorry that I'm such a modding noob BTW.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 02:47:22 pm »

It's a creature tag, caste level (Can be only certain castes, or placed at the top or after a SELECT_CASTE:ALL to give it to all castes. Top is better as that is instantly creature level.)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »

It's a creature tag, caste level (Can be only certain castes, or placed at the top or after a SELECT_CASTE:ALL to give it to all castes. Top is better as that is instantly creature level.)

Thanks again.

Where do I specify which material it is? Is the proper format:

[GORNAR_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:material:10:1] ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:57:43 pm by moghopper »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »

There where hugo wrote "material".  Before the numbers. Force_Multiplier:gornar:10:1

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 03:23:13 pm »

so
[MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:INORGANIC:GORNAR:10:1]

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 03:31:03 pm »

There where hugo wrote "material".  Before the numbers. Force_Multiplier:gornar:10:1

Guess I derped there.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 03:39:46 pm »

Odd, this doesn't seem to do anything.

I've run several tests with a dwarf and a goblin in full iron plate.
The Dwarf gets an iron shortsword and shield
The goblins gets a Gornar shortsword and iron shield

There is roughly a 50/50 spilt in victory.

Shouldn't the increases damage tip the scales?

EDIT: scratch that. just ran some MORE tests, and the goblins MAUL the dwarves with a lucky hit. Unarmored dwarves fare even worse.
Extra EDIT: And now the Dwarves have a 100% success rate after another round of tests. The hell?

Does anyone want the RAWS to Test as well?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:56:14 pm by moghopper »

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 05:09:14 pm »

Okay, sorry for the triple post.

I've solved that issues with Gornar, and finished up Chivardrium.

Now then, I need to work on armor. My main question is:

Can I make a suit of armor that occupies the entire body?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 08:05:50 pm »

Can I make a suit of armor that occupies the entire body?

You can make an armor that covers several body parts (i.e. robes, cloaks, greaves, etc.). However, even if shaped it will not prevent the equipping of armor in the other equipment "slots" on other body parts. Furthermore, not having items equipped on certain body parts will currently lead to bad thoughts and unhappiness regarding being naked. Also, some body parts can not be covered in this manner (hands/feet IIRC?) and require their own armor items.
Pages: [1] 2