Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: -  (Read 5316 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Dox me ($5 per dox)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 10:36:38 pm »

Well, luckily for me, there's only a couple videos on Youtube that have me in them, and you wouldn't be able to find out that it's me unless you actually knew what I looked like, or knew my real name.
And I'm not the one who posted those videos, so you can't even trace them back to me.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 10:41:30 pm »

Argh, so close.

Thanks to me, now nobody can use his twitter to stalk him. Best of luck getting the paltry 5 bucks, guys :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:43:24 pm by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 10:42:08 pm »

And on that note, I just hid some stuff that woulda revealed my last name. (Dammit, Dad)

Aaand hidden my location at another place. Or rather, removed a connection to it. Damn those people who put their real life information in their online profile.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:44:18 pm by Darvi »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 10:43:34 pm »

I bet none of you master-hackery-types can find my middle name.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 10:44:44 pm »

Mine neither. 'cause I don't have one.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 10:45:23 pm »

I bet none of you master-hackery-types can find my middle name.
...Actually, now that I think of it, you may be able to find my middle name, because I used it back when I was a kid.

You couldn't find it from my username, though, because I didn't use this one back then.
The Derail Thread

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 10:46:53 pm »

There's still a total of $15! That's one whole bad video game. But it's probably impossible to get the phone number unless you're an NSA agent.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 10:48:35 pm »

There's still a total of $15! That's one whole bad video game. But it's probably impossible to get the phone number unless you're an NSA agent.
Meh, not worth my time.
Rather go insult strangers.
The Derail Thread

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 10:49:09 pm »

I think I might've stood a chance if I'd jumped on this before you did the first few clears of profiles. It's certainly been pretty effective at hiding your identity.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 11:10:55 pm »

Name is definitely most important to clear, but still, theres always social engineering obvious friends (and of course, with name one could go after family as well, plus any and all public records).  Your security is as strong as your dumbest associate (or company you do business with).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Weaponized Knowledge

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Gabe Newell Photoshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 01:42:45 pm »

This is where I would interject and say that I'll give away incriminating information for a cut of the bounty, although something tells me that would cause a little bit of friction between us. Not to mention that a logical extension of the rules of the thread mean that, having touched FreeForm in real life, I should be ineligible from even posting in this thread.
Fight to regain Kirby's liver before the pink puffball dies after days of grueling fever and jaundice.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 02:03:13 pm »

Your privacy looks pretty darn tight, FFS. Especially after removing anything with your name, and since I don't want to get into scamming people to get your details.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 02:25:28 pm »

5 bucks is not worth the hassle.

Consensus disagrees with you so far.

Anyway, it looks like my Internet privacy is pretty good. Those who utilized fairly elaborate methods were unable to get anything beyond my name, or part of my name. I've been deleting every profile anyone finds containing Real Life information, so it should only get harder. Excellent way to boost privacy of data.
Pfft, deleting them. You can't delete things on the internet, they're there forever and ever and ever.
That twitter account that vanished? Google remembers it.
See that little down arrow next to search results? Just click that, click 'cached' and you now have the contents for most dead links.

Anyway, country is pretty obvious, as that's plastered all over those accounts, as well as implied by both requesting a 'state' in the OP and your Bay12 activity: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=26126
And really, it's that sort of aggregate data you should be more worried about. It gives a rough estimate of longitude, but also a look at your daily routine. Which you may find even more concerning than any of the requested stuff. For example, you will probably be asleep between 3AM and 8AM central time. You're typically free in the evenings, and busy doing something in the mornings and early afternoon. Based on typical posting style, board demographics, and perhaps a vague memory of it having been stated, that period of time is probably spent at school. Based on those data points, I would narrow down the location to Pacific time zone.

Now that's all just based on the immediately obvious chart; there's also a full record of posts. If the chart wasn't there, or if you wanted a more precise look at the data, you would write some scripts to grab the posts, put them into a simple database which sorts them by time of day, day of the week, ect. Preferably with some nice graphical UI elements for building a virtual crime-wall or some such. That's not my field of expertise, but the fact that it is obvious even to a graphics programmer like myself means it is so obvious that anyone serious about it would do so.

And there are probably all sorts of open-source programs to do just that. A simple search for 'auto-doxing software' yields this as the first result: http://sourceforge.net/projects/doxingassistant/ Didn't download it, as that sort of thing sounds as likely as not to have viruses attached, but it likely is the sort of thing 4chan would use, as you will note one of the 'recommended projects' links is to LOIC.

The thing is, any given post or snippet of info probably won't lead to your person. But in aggregate, trends are revealed which make certain other things more likely. A convergence of evidence. The reality is, this is the sort of thing the NSA would use to find a target with their automated hacking solution. That is what "Metadata" actually is. Not the contents of the message, but the information surrounding the message itself. And companies do it too, though typically in regards to purchase data and such. Like how Target can figure out you're pregnant before you tell anyone.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:41:23 pm by alway »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 04:14:57 pm »

So that is his twitter account. I had my doubts already.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 05:54:32 pm »

Now that's all just based on the immediately obvious chart; there's also a full record of posts. If the chart wasn't there, or if you wanted a more precise look at the data, you would write some scripts to grab the posts, put them into a simple database which sorts them by time of day, day of the week, ect. Preferably with some nice graphical UI elements for building a virtual crime-wall or some such. That's not my field of expertise, but the fact that it is obvious even to a graphics programmer like myself means it is so obvious that anyone serious about it would do so.

And there are probably all sorts of open-source programs to do just that. A simple search for 'auto-doxing software' yields this as the first result: http://sourceforge.net/projects/doxingassistant/ Didn't download it, as that sort of thing sounds as likely as not to have viruses attached, but it likely is the sort of thing 4chan would use, as you will note one of the 'recommended projects' links is to LOIC.

The thing is, any given post or snippet of info probably won't lead to your person. But in aggregate, trends are revealed which make certain other things more likely. A convergence of evidence. The reality is, this is the sort of thing the NSA would use to find a target with their automated hacking solution. That is what "Metadata" actually is. Not the contents of the message, but the information surrounding the message itself. And companies do it too, though typically in regards to purchase data and such. Like how Target can figure out you're pregnant before you tell anyone.

That's simultaneously cool and terrifying! Also, please remove the link to the Google cached version of my dead twitter. I know, I know, it's pedantry since it's so easy to get, but it's in the OP that this is a thing you do in PMs.

By the way, it's not random Internet users or the NSA I'm bothered by the idea of - they can pizza houses all they want, who gives a shit? It's more about future family. I'd prefer to have an online identity that can be "burned" to all but the most tech savvy. No one except the most creepy persons wants to stumble across a random link to all the stupid shit their husband or wife, much less their kids or parents, did as a dumb teen.

It's worth noting that google's cache extends as far as its spiders, so the useful information from the twitter, as an example, is completely dead and gone. Only the near-information-free main page remains. This is really frustrating sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:03:47 pm by freeformschooler »
Pages: 1 [2] 3