Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Games similar to King of Dragon Pass  (Read 13827 times)

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games similar to King of Dragon Pass
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:14:02 pm »

I know that aside from Academagia and a couple of others nothing really comes close.

Recently i'v stumbled upon http://www.choiceofgames.com/category/our-games/ and got a couple of very enjoyable hours out of it, even though their games seem to be rather short and simple (mechanics-wise).

Anyhow, at this point I'm just looking for interesting text-based games, so I'm very open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Might aswell add Zafehouse Diaries to the list
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:26:55 pm by woosholay »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games similar to King of Dragon Pass
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:11:36 pm »

Honestly there is nothing similar. Depending on how precise you want to be. KoDP has a unique combination of mechanics. Exploration, epic quests, semi-simple town management. REALLY simplified RPG type characters(the ring). Decently good trade and diplomacy stuff.

Does Emperor of the Fading Suns count as similar? I think that devs have left menu based games behind really and because of that games are much less experimental, fun, mashupy. When you mostly use menus to do stuff, its really easy to add lots of fleshed out mechanics. Graphical games are much more limited.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:03:45 am »

wow, if only.

Depending on what PART of it you like, you may find some things that scratch the same itch.  But like MoLAoS says, nothing else really does the whole mashup.

If you liked the fantasy town building thing, there was this D&D game -- not a RPG really, but it was a strategy game based in one of the traditional settings.  Forgotten Realms or Dragon Lance or something.  You had a group of characters that I think you did not directly control, sort of like the Ring.  And you had to establish a town or stronghold, through a mix of resource management, diplomacy, and conflict.  I might be remembering poorly.

Check it out:  http://www.abandonia.com/games/642/download/Stronghold.htm

That page also links to something called Storm Master which sounds a little similar, and possibly worth checking out.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 01:54:19 am »

Problem is, I like all of it ;p Though as I said in OP I'm willing to settle for "less", as long as it is interesting.

Anamnesis is one of the good examples of what am I looking for or gamebooks even, with decent writing.

Fiddling with Stronghold for now (it's pretty good) and dling emperor of the fading suns. I wasn't sure about starting this thread at first, but so far all of the suggestions are quite new to me, compared to other commonly mentioned titles (academagia, zafehouse diaries, lost tribes and such) in similar threads, on other forums. So, thanks guys, keep em coming.  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:56:30 am by woosholay »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 02:21:53 am »

Problem is, I like all of it ;p Though as I said in OP I'm willing to settle for "less", as long as it is interesting.

Anamnesis is one of the good examples of what am I looking for or gamebooks even, with decent writing.

Fiddling with Stronghold for now (it's pretty good) and dling emperor of the fading suns. I wasn't sure about starting this thread at first, but so far all of the suggestions are quite new to me, compared to other commonly mentioned titles (academagia, zafehouse diaries, lost tribes and such) in similar threads, on other forums. So, thanks guys, keep em coming.  :)

I own Academagia. But I was disillusioned by the fact that like 2-3 years later year two is still not out and probably not even close to out. Last time I spend 25$ on an unknown indie dev. Or was it more? Who knows...

I'm not sure how good an example Fading Suns is. Did you read the wiki article about it first? Depending on how you view KoDP EotFS may not be that similar.

I too went through a phase where I typed various versions of the thread title into Google and it never helped. Sad times.

I'm actually working on a text base Worm inspired game, decided to try it after making my thread about it, and I was thinking of going KoDP style. We'll see how long it takes for the tedium of html/JS interface making to wear me down. I might get far and I might not. Although I'm not sure if pure Javascript is as flexible as I'd like. May have to break out the PHP and MySQL by running an apache server on my computer. Although that may make it difficult for anyone else to playtest the game, assuming I get that far.

For reference, I was considering the Protectorate hierarchy to fill in for the role of the Clan Ring. I've got work in 12 hours, so I'll need to go to sleep and then go push carts at Schnucks for 4 hours, that will be my first big stumbling block as to motivation.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 05:52:29 am »

On the same choice driven with random factored event concept, you have Hidden Agenda, that place you as the newly elected president of a fictional country that just freed itself from a dictature, and you have to deal with the many factions and problems left and coming.
While it's ancient (and require dosbox), it's still very good and replayable.

Shadow President is another game that works similarly to KotDP regarding menu and random factor, but it is timed (i mean time move on while you play, it does not wait for you to click on a decision for the game to continue to process)

Another one i can think about, but feature some turn based battles along the menu driven gameplay is Celtic Tales taking place in a romanced Eire in which you manage your territories, try to expand, fight or befriend other clans/tribes , send heroes or try to recruit them, etc.. its atmosphere is very reminding of KotDP actually
But with less mythical elements (despite some heroes are able to cast spells)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:00:09 am by Robsoie »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 07:13:12 am »

If you don't mind arcady scenes spliced in, I'd try Dominus.  You play an evil overlord that has to use monsters, traps, and magic to stop the hordes of enemies.  You even need to interrogate enemies to find out why they're attack you and what you can do about it.  And you can mix creatures to create (possibly) stronger creatures.

It's about as similar as EoFS, at least...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 08:57:36 am »

On the same choice driven with random factored event concept, you have Hidden Agenda,

Oh, is that the definition?  Shoot, I've got a good one then... There was a game just like Hidden Agenda but you were in charge of running a British secret service agency.  Your goal was to keep the current party in power with good standing in the polls, by averting catastrophes and stopping plots and such.

You'd get memos with problems to look into, and you could choose to go heavy or go soft... assassinate government officials with a flick of the pen.

BUT I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME.  It was a old game, white background with black text and black on white images, many of them shitty rasterized digitized photos.

I dont *THINK* it was _Yes Prime Minister_ but it may have been:  http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/698/Yes+Prime+Minister.html  which is also worth a look...

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 09:38:43 am »

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:55:06 am by gimlet »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 09:51:57 am »

Yes!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 09:56:31 am »

Good grief, they made a game out of "Yes, Prime Minister"? This is that English comedy about ineffectual politicians, yes-men and long windedness? All I remember that show for was the caricature slides in the intro credits.

What was that game making the rounds of let's plays here about a year ago, "The Bureau"?(EDIT: "Shadow President")  The one with elections, public popularity and nuclear war a hairs breadth away. I'd suggest maybe Tropico, but the random events there are more randomly occurring "screw-you-over" type ones rather than different choices.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:25:45 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 10:12:37 am »

On the same choice driven with random factored event concept, you have Hidden Agenda, that place you as the newly elected president of a fictional country that just freed itself from a dictature, and you have to deal with the many factions and problems left and coming.
While it's ancient (and require dosbox), it's still very good and replayable.

Shadow President is another game that works similarly to KotDP regarding menu and random factor, but it is timed (i mean time move on while you play, it does not wait for you to click on a decision for the game to continue to process)

Another one i can think about, but feature some turn based battles along the menu driven gameplay is Celtic Tales taking place in a romanced Eire in which you manage your territories, try to expand, fight or befriend other clans/tribes , send heroes or try to recruit them, etc.. its atmosphere is very reminding of KotDP actually
But with less mythical elements (despite some heroes are able to cast spells)

Ooh, Celtic Tales is one I was trying to remember. Thanks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 11:27:33 am »

I have problems *not* thinking of Celtic Tales whenever I play King of Dragon Pass, actually.  The settings, if nothing else, are so similar.  Cattle raiding also.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 12:39:03 pm »

I have problems *not* thinking of Celtic Tales whenever I play King of Dragon Pass, actually.  The settings, if nothing else, are so similar.  Cattle raiding also.

I never actually played it, only heard of it and read some wiki and forum posts. But yeah its definitely super similar.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 03:03:54 pm »

I own Academagia. But I was disillusioned by the fact that like 2-3 years later year two is still not out and probably not even close to out. Last time I spend 25$ on an unknown indie dev. Or was it more? Who knows

I got lucky in that I decided not to get the first game until the second came out... which it never did.

Yet after seeing a whole letsplay of it I was absolutely not surprised they had to rebuild the entire game for the second... given that you can easily break the first game and basically become a master wizard in one shot. The game's major flaw is that they let you do too much too soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4