Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Games similar to King of Dragon Pass  (Read 13828 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games similar to King of Dragon Pass
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 03:10:03 pm »

I own Academagia. But I was disillusioned by the fact that like 2-3 years later year two is still not out and probably not even close to out. Last time I spend 25$ on an unknown indie dev. Or was it more? Who knows

I got lucky in that I decided not to get the first game until the second came out... which it never did.

Yet after seeing a whole letsplay of it I was absolutely not surprised they had to rebuild the entire game for the second... given that you can easily break the first game and basically become a master wizard in one shot. The game's major flaw is that they let you do too much too soon.

How easily can you break the game? I posted an optimization run on their forums but I wouldn't exactly say I broke the game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 03:10:52 pm »

There need to be more games in this genre. It works so well for so many different themes. King and kingdom/village management, war simulators, zombie apocalypse games, space colony sims. Just about anything can be told through these narrative style management games.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 03:20:48 pm »

How easily can you break the game? I posted an optimization run on their forums but I wouldn't exactly say I broke the game

I'll put it to you this way...

Academimagia takes place over 4 years... and in the first year you can master every single skill that even slightly matters... with no story indication that you are anything but a supreme being. It breaks the theme of the game over its knee as soon as you hit that point.

There need to be more games in this genre. It works so well for so many different themes.

The problem is it is often more used for the lazy... rather then to create a more narrative focused game.

This is ignoring visual novel hybrids.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:37:35 pm by Neonivek »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 03:46:35 pm »

How easily can you break the game? I posted an optimization run on their forums but I wouldn't exactly say I broke the game

I'll put it to you this way...

Academimagia takes place over 4 years... and in the first year you can master every single skill that even slightly matters... with no story indication that you are anything but a supreme being. It breaks the theme of the game over its knee as soon as you hit that point.

By first year you mean the whole game? Year 1 is one year.

And you cannot master every skill that matters, even if you use my optimization to get massive scores in all attributes. Also the cap rises each year. So even if you maxed out literally every subskill you wouldn't have mastered them.

To be fair, its simply impossible to create an RPG that can't be broken. I doubt the average player could come up with my optimization method, unless they read my thread about it in which case its their own damn fault. And especially if you don't savescum getting people into your clique its a lot harder to max all the shit out.

Maybe you have some weird idea of which skills matter that makes it easier to max them all out.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 04:53:44 pm »

Recently i'v stumbled upon http://www.choiceofgames.com/category/our-games/ and got a couple of very enjoyable hours out of it, even though their games seem to be rather short and simple (mechanics-wise).
oh...nice...they had add a ton of new ones in the time I hadn't looked.
at that time there were "Dragon", "Broadsides" and "Vampires".
I waited some time for the next part of the last two to go on with the story but nothing happend...now I have a new time-sink I think...thank you ;)

Thank you for this thread too...I like KoDP too and was sad to find nothing really similar (at gameplay).
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 05:51:22 pm »

Academimagia takes place over 4 years...
I am confused. My big gripe with Academagia was that the first year ended and the game ended and I hadn't mastered much of anything. Was it updated to be 4 years?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 06:30:31 pm »

I am confused. My big gripe with Academagia was that the first year ended and the game ended and I hadn't mastered much of anything. Was it updated to be 4 years?

The entire game when finished is supposed to be 4 years.

My major gripe is that if you knew what you were doing, you feel like you've done everything... or rather the game of 4 years feels done in the first year.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 09:36:10 pm »

The entire game when finished is supposed to be 4 years.

My major gripe is that if you knew what you were doing, you feel like you've done everything... or rather the game of 4 years feels done in the first year.

You never even leave the school much. There is still a lot you haven't done.

I think a major issue is that in books, whether HP or Wizard of Earthsea or The Name of the Wind or Valdemar or Darkover you skip all the boring parts, whereas here you have the entire actual year to get stuff done. You simply have far too much time for adventuring if you do adventures or exploring. Is that what you mean?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 10:11:36 pm »

It is hard to explain.

I mean it is hard for me to see where Academimagia can go next within the setting.

Harry Potter introduced elements and while progressing what was already there and setting up the major arcs for some of the later books (with some rather glaring "ohh yeah this exists now" later on).

Academimagia year 1 feels... complete. Like it doesn't need another year, yet alone 3... and while there are some "missions for later" set up, they feel more like the game decided "yeah, lets do this later" than something beyond the experience of a small child.

It lacks the feeling of a game that is truly meant to span 4 years.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 10:02:18 am »

Speaking of Academagia, bought it yesterday and idk guys, it's actually quite nice. I'm sure you can "break" it one way or another, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

I should be pretty close to finishing my first run and I feel like I'v seen 10-15% of content at best, I didn't really explore shops/items/spells/lore/friendship that much, mostly just adventured and bonded with my familiar.

It's a bit pricey for an indie, but i guess that's a thing with (good?) indie devs these days, Dominions and Distant Worlds fall into the same category of great (albeit obscure) games with ridiculous price tags. Still better than early access though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:05:56 am by woosholay »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 10:24:22 am »

I hear there are a lot of mechanics getting an overhaul in Year 2. Rimbal playing, dueling, a much more intuitive crafting system, expanded skills, and so on.

Then again, Academagia was supposed to followed up on SEVERAL YEARS ago; and they released two other games in the meantime. They have released several DLC and content updates; but that doesn't make me any less disillusioned that it's been four years and Y2 (Which we'll probably have to pay for) has yet to come out.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 01:06:09 pm »

I hear there are a lot of mechanics getting an overhaul in Year 2. Rimbal playing, dueling, a much more intuitive crafting system, expanded skills, and so on.

Then again, Academagia was supposed to followed up on SEVERAL YEARS ago; and they released two other games in the meantime. They have released several DLC and content updates; but that doesn't make me any less disillusioned that it's been four years and Y2 (Which we'll probably have to pay for) has yet to come out.

From conversations I've had and read on their official forum, I don't think its ever coming out. Not before the heat death of the unvierse anyways.

And yeah, it was crazy fun, even when minmaxed it was still fun. Its just that they ditched Year 2 for crap I don't give a crap about.

My favorite part about it was no fake ass latin even though it was based on Harry Potter.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 01:20:42 pm »

Ah yea...  so many patches... Seems like year 2 is in development hell or something.

EDIT:

... I'm gonna have to try that Celtic game, always been a fan of the old Koei stuff.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:02:13 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:13 pm »

Ah yea...  so many patches... Seems like year 2 is in development hell or something.

EDIT:

... I'm gonna have to try that Celtic game, always been a fan of the old Koei stuff.

It's good.  Harder than it seems, what with the ability to just get pushed around instead of dying early on.  Like most Koei titles, you can only expand as far as you have officers to support you.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 01:56:18 am »

"Long Live the Queen" can kind of scratch the same itch... It's a stat-raising simulator where you attempt to raise a queen and manage a kingdom... It is very linear and scripted, however I feel like it's a pretty well developed world and certainly worth ~$10

I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4