Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: CESSPOOL: GWG arguments, Non-ER related guff, General embuggerances  (Read 29485 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: CESSPOOL: GWG arguments, Non-ER related guff, General embuggerances
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 04:40:09 pm »

So... I had the idea of creating a "Argue with GWG to roll" RTD-style thing.  It would involve the players getting into arguments with GWG, and then redirecting it to the AWGWGTR thread, and then the GM (me) would judge how well they were doing; Getting GWG to logically contradict himself would mean your character would roll a five, while having GWG just not answer would be a one.  Getting him to admit that you're right would mean you get fives for every turn that you quote the post where he says "You're right, I'm wrong", up until he contests it again.
I never suggested it because it's obviously far too insulting, but hey, if GWG sanctioned it...
Seems like it would have a few problems.
1. It would be kinda unbalanced. The first guy to convince me would have a massive advantage over...well...everyone.
2. Instead of a single click or roll, each action would require an extended discussion.
3. There would be a hell of a lot of 1's. Forget being insulted, I don't have time to argue with everyone in a moderately-sized RtD. At first, it might be okay, with me just arguing against things that I find interesting to debate and people who press my buttons well enough, but then everyone would be picking those topics and argh.

Applying Argument seed:
The music you like is bad, your religion is wrong, your politics are incorrect, Your favorite video game is garbage, your favorite movie is shit, your mother is funny looking, your sister is a whore and your dog licks his own balls because of his repressed homosexual tendencies.
And your chosen sports team cheats.
I like most types of music save for heavy metal, most pop, and rap (if it can be called music); I have no religion; pretty much every politician would agree with you on that one because my political thoughts are scattered across the spectrum; I don't have one; I definitely don't have one; tell her that yourself; I don't have one; and my dog is dead.
And I don't like sports.

Hah.

I'd like to have an argument, please.
...Seriously?  Haven't you people been all "Oh, arguing on the internet is silly and pointless"?  What's with the sudden change?
Somebody didn't get the reference...
http://youtu.be/kQFKtI6gn9Y
Ah, Monty Python. I wish I knew more than...three skits off the top of my head well enough to come up with a clever reply.
(Cheese Shop, that one about Spam, and Self-Defense Against Fruit. And now Argument Clinic, if it sticks around in my head. And the Quest for the Holy Grail, if you look at it as a really long Monty Python sketch.)

Anyway, it's perfectly possible to understand someone's tone through text.  Use italics, or bold your text.
Problem is, there isn't an agreed-upon standard.
And you know how that ends...

Hey, has GWG been introduced to Mafia yet?
I'm not sure whether to try.
Eh. I've considered it. It's an interesting enough game IRL.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 04:48:32 pm »

You should try it. I've read several games and it's literally right up your alley.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 05:06:56 pm »

Quote from: GWG
1. It would be kinda unbalanced. The first guy to convince me would have a massive advantage over...well...everyone.

*snerk*

Quote from: GWG
3. There would be a hell of a lot of 1's. Forget being insulted, I don't have time to argue with everyone in a moderately-sized RtD. At first, it might be okay, with me just arguing against things that I find interesting to debate and people who press my buttons well enough, but then everyone would be picking those topics and argh.
SHhh-h-h-h  :X

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 05:16:10 pm »

Wait. I have one.

GWG's take on Frozen is like the excrement from a dogs behind, the rules aren't very good, and he shouldn't have made magic as prominent as it was if he didn't want people using a lot. Also causing two apocalypses was BS.

And that's the last thing I can remember arguing with GWG about recently.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 05:22:47 pm »

Oh, yeah, you're gonna insult my doing something while doing it yourself!  That's real smart.

Anyway, it's perfectly possible to understand someone's tone through text.  Use italics, or bold your text.
Yeah? Well uhh... uhh... Your mom! *scampers*
((Not continuing this because we'd probably go at it for days.))

Speaking of mafia, I tried Town of Salem last week. Really fun. Had to convince myself to stop playing because it was taking up too much of my time. Made me consider joining a mafia game on these forums.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 05:31:51 pm »

Oh goodness no.

You should try it. I've read several games and it's literally right up your alley.
You're next. :x
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:49:36 pm by Tiruin »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 05:48:45 pm »

Wait. I have one.
GWG's take on Frozen is like the excrement from a dogs behind, the rules aren't very good, and he shouldn't have made magic as prominent as it was if he didn't want people using a lot. Also causing two apocalypses was BS.
And that's the last thing I can remember arguing with GWG about recently.
Care to justify your first claim?
The rules were what they were. I gave you ample opportunity to complain before the game started, and encouraged it. I was trying to figure out how to change it when various peoples' complaints, primarily yours, convinced me to just kill the game entirely.
Magic has its uses. You just didn't bother to try and understand this point, and instead basically used nukes on everything. The fact that it was pretty clearly based on Frozen, where magic literally causes every conflict*, should have realized that magic is not a toy!
If I fudge dice sometimes, why shouldn't I fudge dice whenever it suits me? There isn't any good dividing line between "right" and "wrong," so the slippery slope is slippery indeed. At that point, it's as much "Fit With the the GM's Plans to Dodge" as "Roll to Dodge." Besides, we retconned the first one!
*Yes, even the love triangle. Anna never would have met Cristof if it wasn't for the snow, and Hans wouldn't have come into the picture if it wasn't for Anna's isolation, which was caused by--wait for it--reckless use of magic.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 05:50:10 pm »

Oh goodness no.
Looks like it's attracting arguments from other threads now. Think it may be a gambit to sequestrate the arguments here and lock this thread?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 05:51:29 pm »

I believe you've seen my position on locking threads to end arguments?
Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 05:51:55 pm »

Well then. That was a prompt response to the arguing.

That said I was just trying to provide fuel for the focus of the thread. And maybe I was going to check out ER and see if I needed to read everything.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 06:06:36 pm »

Well then. That was a prompt response to the arguing.
What else would you expect? It's a weekend.

That said I was just trying to provide fuel for the focus of the thread.
And I've continued. Care to fan the flames, or will you let it die? I don't care.

And maybe I was going to check out ER and see if I needed to read everything.
Enjoy.
Sig

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 06:11:06 pm »

YES! DO IT!
GWG YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY MAFIA JOIN THE NEXT BEGINNER GAME WE HAVE!!!!!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 06:17:03 pm »

Fine.
Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 06:56:52 pm »

Mafia?

I mean, I've heard of it but the few times I went there I was utterly confused.

Also, which thread should I go with and is there any specific place to post characters?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 07:10:16 pm »

YES! DO IT!
GWG YOU ARE GOING TO PLAY MAFIA JOIN THE NEXT BEGINNER GAME WE HAVE!!!!!
It'll be the first Beginner's Mafia to break 100 pages, I guarantee it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11