Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Be envioromental friendly, as in Dwarf fortress!  (Read 1936 times)

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Be envioromental friendly, as in Dwarf fortress!
« on: April 19, 2014, 12:27:09 pm »

In Sweden they publish lists on food that risk warming up the earth more and food that risk it less.

to show you the top five as i remember them

Meat from cow
Meat from sheep
Cheese
Meat from Pig
Meat from chiken
[/list]

As you all know normalu we get cheese from cows and sheeps that also fart a lot that make lot´s of carbon.

the question are why we not are making cheese like the dwarfs?

Cheese out of pigmilk! solution on part of our envioromental problems!
Dwarf fortress have once again made it to the real world =)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Be envioromental friendly, as in Dwarf fortress!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:42:51 pm »

In most dwarf forts the local flora and fauna is lucky if they make it more than a couple years without being clear cut and hunted into oblivion or strait up drown in a sea of blood and magma. Still, dwarves are generally slightly less destructive to their environment than those filthy, weak-bearded humans.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:44:58 pm by Melting Sky »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 02:53:59 pm »

Introducing a new product is expensive and very risky. The risk/reward ratio of starting to sell pig cheese is so low, nobody has taken the leap. Playing things safe feels smart, even if it fails in the long run due to damaging the enviroment.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 03:14:38 pm »

Introducing a new product is expensive and very risky. The risk/reward ratio of starting to sell pig cheese is so low, nobody has taken the leap. Playing things safe feels smart, even if it fails in the long run due to damaging the enviroment.

I think the primary problem is that pig's milk is of an extremely low quality and not particularly nutritious. It likely is not well suited for cheese manufacturing. Ruminates are the only animals we have that produce decent quality milk in large enough quantities to make them viable as dairy animals. This is the reason ancient humans didn't use pigs as dairy animals but rather for meat and the reason that we today follow in their footsteps.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 05:56:29 pm »

The problem isn't that there's something inherently wrong with those foods. It just that they're the ones we happen to mass produce, and thus get the blame for the problems mass farming causes.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 10:51:58 pm »

The problem isn't that there's something inherently wrong with those foods. It just that they're the ones we happen to mass produce, and thus get the blame for the problems mass farming causes.

So much this. It annoys me soooo much when people seem to put the blame on the cows and sheep etc, as if they're somehow bad for the environment on their own, when it's actually the practices used in industrial agriculture that is to blame. Take a cow and stick it in a pasture without adding any fodder produced with artificial fertilizers, pesticides and the impact of transporting it halfway across the globe (and all the other negative industrial practices involved) and it'll actually have a positive impact on the environment and CO2 levels.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:25:07 pm »

[...] Take a[n organic] cow and stick it in a pasture [...] and it'll actually have a positive impact on the environment and CO2 levels.
Sure, if you take a cow, but even organic cows produce tons of methane gas when there's a million of them in a relatively small area.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 11:41:42 pm »

[...] Take a[n organic] cow and stick it in a pasture [...] and it'll actually have a positive impact on the environment and CO2 levels.
Sure, if you take a cow, but even organic cows produce tons of methane gas when there's a million of them in a relatively small area.

With "organic" cows you won't have millions of them in a small area. Also, whatever methane is produced will be balanced out by the CO2 getting bound into the ground. It's not like cows magically produce atoms, it's all a nice contained cycle unless you start throwing more stuff into it. Sure, methane is a somewhat more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, but it isn't really that longlived in the atmosphere and will turn into CO2 and H2O in a few years.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:20:12 am »

I think the issue with food is that a lot of the meat produce more greenhouse gasses than most plants.
e.g. 1 week of steak is worse than 1 week of veg from an enviromental POV.

and will turn into CO2 and H2O in a few years.

Both of which are greenhouse gasses.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 02:27:08 pm »

As apposed to inorganic cows, which produce only awesome.

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »

A full thread of half serius discussions on the matter of pig cheese  :o

That wasn´t what I exspected..
But you are rigth, there is probably a reson for that our forefathers didn´t milked there pigs. And even if it would be pretty awesome it somebody started doing it seriusly it to much work to get pigs that could make any serius amount of milk that it would be way to expensive.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 02:49:00 am »

As apposed to inorganic cows, which produce only awesome.

Big dog and Chetah from Boston dynamics/ the US military remind me of those cows and the US navy just got its Laws Laser. If they combine both we get such robocows!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.