Advanced search  

Author Topic: McAfee  (Read 786 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
McAfee
« on: April 20, 2014, 04:33:15 am »

So.. Mym mom's pc caught the McAfee Malware again.
Now.. My mom is completely un-computer savvy. It's kindof a miracle that she now finally understands what clicking and rightclicking is, and can use the search function on a browser.
She still doesn't understand what I mean when I say 'adress bar', or 'click and drag', or that the pc will not be physically 'broken' when she clicks a wrong button.

Now to get rid of McAfee, I needed to download the McAfee removal tool. Because that piece of malware crap can't even be uninstalled from the windows config screen, in admin mode. Problem is. McAfee shut down all gates, (conflict with already present virus scanner), so no more connection to internet, to get the removal tool. So, more work, needed to get USB stick, download removal tool, get back to my mom's place, fix... Annoyed.

Is there any program out there that specifically prevents McAfee products from being installed? The nasty thing about them is that they install themselves as malware on so many silly internet links, and I believe on java or flashplayer updates as well. And since it's not officially a virus / malware, firewalls or antispyware won't prevent it from installing. And I can't tell my mom to not click any links anymore, cause, she is happy with being able to browse the netz. Telling her too search everything she clicks for a small line with a tick that says 'install mcafee' is too complicated for her. So I really would like something that just prevents Mcafee products from installing.

I know there's many more McAfee haters out there. Anyone know of such program?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McAfee
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 04:36:42 am »

I think the simplest way of doing it would be to just undo all the changes it made in regards to blocking, get another antivirus and make this antivirus prevent McAfee from launching - just leave it there and not let it do anything, simple enough. I know Comodo can do this.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 04:40:19 am »

So,, Comodo can block per publisher, instead of per file name? Cause the mcafee installers have a different file name every new version I suppose.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:49:54 am »

I actually figured you could plainly block everything that McAfee has installed from running, so even if a new installer wants to install something the installer goes "welp it's already in there" and leaves you alone.

Pretty sure that's achievable by fiddling with Defense+ settings, though. McAfee is on the trusted installers list, so before you do anything you'll have to delete four keys from a rather large list. It's sortable, so it's not that hard.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:00:58 am »

Thanks for the tips, gonna see if I can figure it out

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 06:08:06 am »

My computer came with McAfee and it has reached the point where it is regularly pestering me to buy a subscription. I'd like to remove and replace it as well. What is the recommended free antivirus software these days? Comodo?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 06:12:27 am »

I personally use 'Avast!'. Upon registering, you get a free 1 year trial that covers all the features, and after that, it continues to perform basic antivirus stuff. Pretty satisfied with it; haven't been infected since I started using it instead of McAfee, and a periodic scan with MalwareBytes doesn't do any harm, either.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 06:24:22 am »

Myself, I use avast! as well. I have used their free version for years, to good satisfaction.
If your pc can spare the rescource, spybot search and destroy is nice to have as well.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:04:09 am »

Avast! is the best free active AV, and MBAM is the best AV in general, but the active protection has to be paid for (that said, I'm sure it's worth it. MBAM has only had ONE false positive in its entire lifetime, and they took it very seriously, patched it immediately, apologized extensively and then promised to make sure that it never happens again.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:06:12 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 07:54:30 am »

My computer came with McAfee and it has reached the point where it is regularly pestering me to buy a subscription. I'd like to remove and replace it as well. What is the recommended free antivirus software these days? Comodo?

I'm in the exact same situation, and intend to go with (local Finnish firm) F-Secure. It's never failed me, though admittedly it is a bit overzealous with programs that like to connect online. Not free though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 07:56:17 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 01:05:15 pm »

F-Secure is fairly well-known in the computer security business, I think.
:v

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 11:02:55 pm »

I really like having hitmanpro on a USB stick. If all else fails, use it to nuke whatever.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting