Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: New Races  (Read 5490 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: New Races
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 11:16:40 am »

I definitely support the idea of water-dwelling peoples. Possibly like the Atlanteans/Aquaman in the DC comics, in a way. They can go to land, but dehydrate and die quickly. That way they can send caravans but can't have long sieges (which means blitzkrieg tactics for war).
Sure, you probably wouldn't deal with them much, though I guess they could send people up rivers, still it would add something to the otherwise barren seas.

My own idea? Bird people, like harpies, but better suited for using/creating tools. They could occupy areas with greater elevation or cliffsides, so they'd probably be most notable for bickering with dwarves, sort of like kobolds. Except you'd have to watch for sieges from above. They could also have a subrace that dwells in caverns or even lower, a pre-encounter to demons, or, if you're lucky/diplomatic, allies to fight them.
Of coures, they would be quite primitive, but basic metalworking is possible. (Though heat + feathers just doesn't mix well...)

By my count we already have 33 tool using, primitive races of bird people in the game. We already have the underground version you mentioned, in the form of Cave Swallow men. This is why I think that the animal men should be fleshed out more, as people seem to forget about them entirely.

For that matter, we already have dozens of sea dwelling races, too. If anything we need them procedurally generated, with civilizations. (Or at least with villages/homes, and the option of going to war with you if you attack them) That would both satisfy a number of good suggestions here, and would also give a purpose to (and hopefully, reduce the amount of) animal men wandering around everywhere.

Fortunately, I believe Toady already intends for this to happen.
I'd like to see some small subset of the animal people make it into real civilizations, a different subset each world based maybe on relative numbers.  I recall that there are plans for a group to be able to spontaneously start acting like a civ, and that mechanism can Uplift appropriate animal people (and other tool-capable beasties).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 07:17:49 pm »

I recall that there are plans for a group to be able to spontaneously start acting like a civ, and that mechanism can Uplift appropriate animal people (and other tool-capable beasties).

Now that is awesome.  :o

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 02:07:09 pm »

It's important to remember that Humans are supposed to become far more spread out in terms of what they do (i.e. have the largest differences in culture between areas), which should take up the space that isn't occupied by goblins, elves, etc.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]