Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wait... I didnt mean it that way!!  (Read 6750 times)

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
Wait... I didnt mean it that way!!
« on: August 22, 2001, 08:32:00 am »

I want to be able to trick people into selling their souls!!  Haha!!  Or at least say I'll spare their lives if the give them over to me.  Then kill them.    :D

Meanwhile though, how much longer do you have to kill monters before youre sure they die properly?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Wait... I didnt mean it that way!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2001, 07:02:00 pm »

Well, it depends on the kill -- beheading most creatures in combat will lead to a short wait time.  If you stick them in the liver and wait, you might have an hour or so.  In the end, this is why we have on the short list of things to add "Vulnerability Attacks".  This will basically be hooked into the wrestling interface when that goes in -- once an opponent is straddled or otherwise under control, you can slit their throats or strangle them etc.  Creatures have circulatory systems, so pulse checking will work as a diagnostic often times.  The same holds for respiration.

Certain nefarious deities will be able to barter with souls.  If you have the power and are sufficiently creepy, then why not?  You know, it might sound far-fetched to say the player can do these things, but this particular one I planned for -- instead of just having "intelligence" and "wisdom" etc., every creature currently has an array of souls in its body (so multiple souls as in possession is permitted), and each soul stores skills and mental attributes (later personality as well).  Souls could be moved to items (for intelligent swords, etc.), or moved into a demon's (Demon's) little magical pouch to be used as gummy bears later in the day.  Don't let soul-shredding baddies make a meal out of you.

Incidentally:  I'm on my new computer!  And I don't have my FTP/Website problem anymore!  (On my previous computer, the Bay 12 site was blocked -- even though I could go everywhere else -- I wonder how long it will take for Stanford to decide I can't come back here.  I think they want me to do math :) ).  It's amazing how much software you realize you need once you get a fresh machine.  I'm slowly downloading AIM on my 56K right now, although I'll have to move the monitor back to my old computer to get my password.  Uck...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2001, 03:08:00 pm »

funny thing about liver punctures, with little pressure, it slows the bleeding, but you die withing the hour, or you can just make it easy and just die like a mongrel. The more serious the injury to it the darker the blood, so if youve just been shanked in the liver by some...thing...and your leaking what looks like motor oil, "you be dead". about the souls having all the abilities and what not of the person, would it add to your stats? ex: ive a strength stat of 60, and i get the soul of someone whos strength of 297, would my strength then be that of 357? also maybe youd get whatever fighting methods they had.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2001, 11:57:00 am »

Well, I don't know -- why do people eat souls anyway?  Right now, souls only store skills and mental attributes (things like intelligence, but not strength) -- although that's not to say that eating souls wouldn't alter your strength possibly.

In the end, soul-eating would fall under a magical art (many innate creature abilities will be indistinguishable from "regular" magic, and will be stored in the same way).  This means that soul-eating would have random effects based on the game universe, and these effects might have to be researched to become known (or tried!  or applied to you!).  Soul-eating might allow you to gain stats, borrow skills, enjoy yourself, or just plain satisfy a natural hunger for souls.  Actually any magical effect is within bounds, although most game settings would slant soul-eating heavily toward evil.

Again, the lack of structure in Armok is appalling.  I hope that within a single universe played multiple times things start feeling sensible however.

Note:  FTP is working now.  The web page might actually start changing again   :eek:  There's a bug with damage right now that's actually slowing down the new computer...  I'll have to figure that one out.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!