Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pre-stocking site?  (Read 727 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pre-stocking site?
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:40:59 pm »

I have no idea if this is possible, as I don't really play adventure mode, but to ask -

Can you play adventure mode, then start a fortress in the same world?  If so, if you start a site where your adventurer was, will effects of adventure mode appear there?

Basically, I'm asking this - If I were to start a world as an adventurer, find a spot where I'd later like to have a fortress, and leave items/things in that spot, could I then start a fortress on that spot and have the things I left there as an adventurer?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-stocking site?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:26:57 pm »

You can start both modes in the same world, but you need to end your game to start a new one. You can retire your character to come back later, but you can only do it in the towns, so you can't build a fortress around him.

I can't answer the rest of your questions. Why don't you try and find out?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 07:55:03 pm »

If you leave items in a location in Adventure Mode, then later embark upon that location, they should still be there. I've done it a few times.

Though sometimes the items may scatter from where they were left, or take a bit of damage for no discernible reason.

It may be best to leave the items at a notable location, such as a lair or a cave, just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure what would happen to items left randomly in the wilderness. Plus lairs and such are just easier to find on the map than an unmarked location.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 06:26:51 am »

there is usually also less item scatter in a lair. Make sure it is really a beast lair and not just a notable place where bandits camp or some sort
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:37:24 am »

Using DFHack and Advfort you can certainly do this and more.
 It lets you build a site in adventure mode and swap between fort and adventure modes, controlling any of your dwarves. Also it will prevent the item scatter problem.
 I was able to create a fort full of immortal necromancers and artifact necromancer/magic slabs.

Advfort is so under-rated :)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 05:07:20 pm »

I've never tried AdvFort, and it doesn't appear to be in the LazyNewbPack.  Is it easy to use?  Is it compatible with existing worlds?

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 05:13:52 pm »

I found a camp of bandits once in adventure mode and they killed me. Then the site was was highlighted and shown on the map in fort mode, so I embarked there. Then I had a bunch of friendly human bandits :3 So yes to the things you said.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 06:23:20 pm »

I've never tried AdvFort, and it doesn't appear to be in the LazyNewbPack.  Is it easy to use?  Is it compatible with existing worlds?

The command is 'gui/advfort', I believe. I'm fairly certain that it's in the LNP.

There's a bit of a curve to it, but it's mostly straightforward. There shouldn't be compatibility issues.

Spoiler: info dump (click to show/hide)