Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Fantasy Grand Slam - GAME OVER!  (Read 17406 times)

Vytron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fantasy Grand Slam - GAME OVER!
« on: April 20, 2014, 10:50:51 pm »

Hello, I'm really interested in running a simulated Fantasy Grand Slam League, where players can manage a team, and they can bet money trying to predict who will win the games.

Grand Slam is a variation of Baseball where the teams take turns at every at-bat (Team A sends a pitcher against Team B's pitcher, the positions on the bases are saved, and then Team B sends a pitcher against Team A's batter, and so on.)

The Fantasy part is because I was planning to hold these teams with a Fantasy theme, i.e. instead of humans we can have teams of the Hydras fighting against Cyclops, or something.

A player would sign up and pick a fantasy creature or a fantasy character theme (say, heroes from Greek Mythology) and I'd generate a team for them. They can also send the names for 9 players of their team, otherwise they'd be auto-generated. Players can also send numbers for every single of their cards to have a customized team (do it in spoilers, it's against the rules to take a look at the numbers on the cards of other players before the League starts). They would also be told what team they have to face, and pick a pitcher and their batter order.

Players can also send as many fantasy creatures or theme suggestions for the teams they'll be competing against.

The system is where games will be simulated by me is on the following spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some numbers are more common than others, so some players should be stronger than others, and thus, some teams stronger than others.

Example teams:

The Empousais
Description: These vampiric demonesses got tired of seducing men. They noticed all of them had one bronze leg and one donkey leg (not shown), so they decided to form a Grand Slam Team.

The Kobalois
Description: Already masters of mischief and trickery, these sprites can change their shape at will and frighten children. Apparently, some also like having really long names for some reason.

Now, theoretically, you could ask your neighbor's dog to compute the result of the match, and bet accordingly. So I'm thinking having players sending a number from 1 to 9 every in-game week, and then, sum them up, and use mod9 to decide which player of the team will pitch for that game (pitcher always bats last), so a given match between teams will have 9 possible outcomes.

For the sake of posting an example game, I'm going to assume the sum of numbers gave 18, this is mod9 0, so the teams will be sending their last players as pitchers, and the rest of the players will bat in order. Had the number been a 3, 3rd player would be pitching, and 4th player would be batting first.

Example Game:
The Empousais Vs. The Kobalois

I'd like to ask for feedback on how it looks like and to make changes to the game if something is unappealing. I know the game would contain unprecedented amounts of fluff since I don't really expect people would read random games, but I'd expect people to read the games of their team and finally if some big upset happens we can see how it did  :)

What do you think?

Signed Up:
1- My Name is Immaterial
2- scapheap
3- Fortis
4- xelada
5- kj1225
6- darkpaladin109
7- Vytron
8- NAV

Replacements:
1-Playergamer
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:53:07 am by Vytron »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Grand Slam (Game Preparation And Suggestions)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:21:50 am »

Firstly, let me be the first to welcome you to Bay12, and the Forum Games and Roleplaying section! We don't bite. Most of us are quite nice, but some of us get banned for necroquibbling.[/insidejokesatGreatWyrmGold'sexpense]

Did you come up with this system yourself? It's pretty good. The only feedback I can give is that I can't tell if you get to pick the numbers for your team, or if those are randomly assigned. If they are randomly assigned, then there is too little player involvement. I would recommend that you let people choose their numbers.

If you're looking for players, I'm in. I'll come back tomorrow with a theme.

Vytron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Grand Slam (Game Preparation And Suggestions)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:38:26 am »

Thanks for the welcome My Name is Immaterial! Yes, I came up with this system on necessity to simulate "meaningful outcomes". I used to run a Sport Gambling game in the xkcd forums and used a much more simplified system, and then a very weak team beat the champion, and it was amazing, but the way it happened was so lame I kept it secret, so I came up with this so when a very weak team beats a strong one, one can see how it happened, hopefully with interesting events to look at. Of course with a system like this it should be more fun to have your team win the championship than predicting who will win.

Oh, I don't see it on the OP, but games are decided when a team scores 3 points at the bottom of an inning.

The only feedback I can give is that I can't tell if you get to pick the numbers for your team, or if those are randomly assigned. If they are randomly assigned, then there is too little player involvement.

Procedurally generated just depending on the player's name, just like those names are procedurally generated depending on the team's theme (say, a team with a Greek Gods theme will have Poseidon, Zeus, Athena, and the bunch on it, etc.)

I would recommend that you let people choose their numbers.

Thanks for the feedback! Good point, players now are able to design their own cards by choosing what numbers to put in them. It's also against the rules to read the numbers on the cards of other players before choosing their own.

If you're looking for players, I'm in. I'll come back tomorrow with a theme.

Welcome aboard! This game now officially on sign ups   :)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Grand Slam (Game Preparation, Suggestions & Sign Ups)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:14:46 am »

I'll take a team

The elementals
A group of the fundamental forces of magic appeared on the field. We assume they wanted to play, but Elementals are hard to understand so they may just be doing a ritual that look very similar to baseball.

Undine(water), Golem(earth), Sylph(Air), Salamander(fire), Ghost(soul), U.F.O.(Aether), Yuki-Onna(Ice), reaper(death) and I can't think of a last one.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:27:03 pm »

Ill take the Hags.
Hags are fiendish old women, out to steal children, but they also play a mean game of baseball.
Mara, Peg Powler, Grindylow, Jenny Greenteeth, Nellie Longarms, Nana Yaga, Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 01:29:03 pm »

Every once in a while, Dragons get bored of amassing treasure, kidnapping maidens, or eating foolish adventurers. When that happens, they tend to favor baseball as a change of pace.

Smaug

Alduin

Ridley

Fin Fang Foom

Mushu

Maleficent

Rathalos

King Ghidorah

Charizard

Anyway, not quite sure how this game goes, but it looks fun. Procedurally generates stats is fine by me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:34:28 pm by Fortis »

Vytron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 05:31:15 am »

Welcome everyone! The teams so far are below!

I can't think of a last one.

You'll get Kairos (Time).

The Elementals (managed by scapheap)

The Hags (managed by My Name is Immaterial)

(Numbers on the cards can be changed)

The Dragons (managed by Fortis)

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 08:03:36 pm »

I wish to enter The Shape Shifters, they've taken forms that should help them win. (In other words I chose the numbers, I promise the numbers the other teams have in no way influenced my choices)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 08:12:52 pm »

You can generate the stats for me.

Vytron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:20:56 am »

Welcome  :) - so here are the next two teams in the lineups:

The Shape Shifters (managed by xelada) (a player other than xelada opening this spoiler may no longer use custom numbers on their cards)

The A.N.Y.C.F.W.A.L.S. (All names you can find with a little searching - managed by kj1225)

Only three spots left remaining in sign ups!

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Grand Slam (Game Preparation, Suggestions & Sign Ups 5/8)
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 07:36:42 am »

Reserve a spot for me, I'l post everything later today.
EDIT: Well, here's my thing.
Generate the stats for me, if that's alright.
The Makuta: a group of shapeshifting entities made of gas encased in armor of solid Protosteel. When they're not plotting to take over the universe, they play baseball to pass the time.
Spoiler: Miserix (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Teridax (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Icarax (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mutran (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Antroz (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vamprah (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Chirox (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Krika (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bitil (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:27:44 am by darkpaladin109 »

Vytron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 09:52:02 am »

Welcome darkpaladin109, here's your team:

The Makuta (managed by darkpaladin109)

And then I realized there's no reason for me to not play, I'll just avoid reading the spoilers by other players before making my decisions, and I'll be able to mod and play. My team has been generated in the same way of other players (which is basically, a given name always produces the same card.)

I'll be sending:

Badass Girls: What's so fantastic about all these girls, you ask? They can't bend the very fabric of reality, or change their shape, heck, most of them don't even have super powers or even fly. Well, I'll tell you what all of them have in common: they will kick your ass! Amber Lancaster, Ayla (Chrono Trigger), Amy Mizuno (Sailor Moon), Rin Kagamine (Vocaloid), Android 18 (Dragon Ball Z), Blue Mary (King Of Fighters), Horo (Spice and Wolf), Kaede Fuyou (Shuffle!) and Marisol Gonzáles.

Badass Girls (managed by Vytron)

One player more needed before game starts!

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 02:29:45 pm »

They can't bend the very fabric of reality, or change their shape, heck, most of them don't even have super powers or even fly. Horo (Spice and Wolf)
*Squint*
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Vytron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Grand Slam (One player more needed!)
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 03:07:27 am »

Shush! That description was there just to make other players get overconfident against me, now it won't work XD

Anyway, 7 hours remaining to sign up (or until I say sign ups are closed after then), if nobody sign ups I'll introduce NPC teams that players can choose to play if they get a "bye" (that is, no opponent available to play because uneven number of players.)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Grand Slam (One player more needed!)
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 06:21:31 am »

I'l put an adviserment in mastahcheese's derail thread.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11