Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a Proxy!  (Read 523 times)

Sheer_Bliss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating a Proxy!
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:01:09 am »

Hi all! This is one of those posts where I beg for your help due to being hopeless with modding. I've looked through the RAW files and read the wiki section on modding and have no real idea of what to do. I want to create a playable race in Adventure mode that go by the name of Proxies. Before I go any further I'd just like to say these creatures are from an anime called Ergo Proxy so if you plan on watching it you may want to skip this as it spoils some important plot points. Anyway, they're basically gods incarnate so what I want to do is create a humanoid race that has the following abilities:

The first of these is superhuman strength and speed, it frequently moves almost too quickly to see when moving or dodging. Another ability is that apart from some special things in the anime they are immortal. That means no bullets or injuries can kill them. They regenerate from any wounds almost instantly unless they were caused by another proxy.

The way I want to go about this is by going off the humanoid template except with the following changes.
Change the skin to be heavily armored to simulate the strength of the Proxy as well as giving it superhuman strength, speed, endurance, toughness and anything else that would make it closer to a god. I'd also like to give it regeneration to prevent it dying from some lucky bolt.

Before I get anyone telling me it'll take all the fun out of Adventure mode, I know. I'm not creating it to be a challenge I'm creating it for shits and giggles.

So there it is, If any of it doesn't make sense just speak up and I'll explain further. It's late at night when I'm typing this so it's all a bit jumbled. THANKS AND HAPPY DORFING!
Breaking thumbs since 2013

lanp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a Proxy!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:26:30 am »

I made a creature for my own use that is sort of what you want insofar as it's immortal and ridiculously strong. Although I didn't create it to explicitly look like a human half of what it looks like is really up to your imagination. Creature visuals are mostly the flavor text of the description. It would be relatively simple to make it more human like with just a few small edits. Anyway, here is what I made. It should serve as a pretty decent base for you to work from.

https://db.tt/tcUJj3ZR

This link is incredibly useful if you want to be able to make your own stuff as well.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Modding_guide

If you get stuck on anything in particular just ask. Although I may not know the answer there are a whole ton of really knowledgeable people on this forum.

As a side note, I got up to around episode 10 but found that the anime just moved too slowly. Does it pick up soon after?

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:13:15 pm »

Made something kind of like this for arena use.

Gave them [NATURAL_SKILL:] 100 in every combat skill. Legendary is 16, but it scales far beyond that - 100 will ensure that they never miss a blow, and will flawlessly dodge, parry, or block anything that comes their way, unless unconscious or paralysed.
To make them quick, set [SPEED:] to a small number, maybe low hundreds - not sure exactly how fast you want them, so play around until it feels right.

Instant wound regeneration can be done with a stupidly-high RECUPERATION value, though you'd also need to make nerve tissue heal-able if running vanilla. Kind of redundant, though. However, this will apply to -all- damage - there's no way to make them vulnerable only to their own species. However, the NATURAL_SKILL setup will ensure that only another of their own kind (or an army) can hit them in the first place.

Disclaimer: high DODGING skill may make them prone to cliff-diving.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 07:10:42 am »

Make sure they can connect to the backup server and repository without any issues, otherwise you will get RPC errors.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository