Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No value appearing in trade menu.  (Read 4170 times)

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No value appearing in trade menu.
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:14:18 am »

Hello, I wanted to check if I was missing anything painfully obvious before filing a bug report on this.  If anyone has experienced this, or has an explanation for why it is occurring, please respond.

I recently reclaimed my fortress, and upon trading with the first caravan, I notice that there is no field in the screen for trade value.  Not only do all of the items only have weight information, but the total trade value is missing as well.  I don't recall ever seeing this, even when using a non-broker dwarf to trade (which I am doing now).

Is this a potential bug, or is there some explanation for this that I am ignorant of?

Thank you for your time.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No value appearing in trade menu.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:17:23 am »

The trading dwarf needs the appraiser skill for the values to be displayed iirc.

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:26:04 am »

to be precise, your broker needs the appraiser skill, which dwarf is trading at the depot is not important.
just trade some things with the caravan based on what you think works.
after a few trades the dwarf at the depot should have some appraiser skill, then you can make him broker.
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:02:03 am »

Hello, I wanted to check if I was missing anything painfully obvious before filing a bug report on this.  If anyone has experienced this, or has an explanation for why it is occurring, please respond.

I recently reclaimed my fortress, and upon trading with the first caravan, I notice that there is no field in the screen for trade value.  Not only do all of the items only have weight information, but the total trade value is missing as well.  I don't recall ever seeing this, even when using a non-broker dwarf to trade (which I am doing now).

Is this a potential bug, or is there some explanation for this that I am ignorant of?

Thank you for your time.

Is this the first time you've traded since doing the reclaim?
In order to see prices, your assigned broker needs to have appraisal skill. That skill is increased/gained by the first dwarf to open the "Trade" window when the caravan arrives. It really doesn't matter what appraisal skill the trading dwarf has, only the appraisal skill of the assigned broker matters.

So if you let "any dwarf trade" on the first encounter with a caravan, and your broker doesn't have any appraisal skill, you're not gonna see any prices.

What you can do to fix.
1. Simply require the broker as the only trader for the 1st caravan.
or
2. Exit the trade window, go to the nobles screen, and reassign your broker to be the dwarf who actually gained the appraisal skill when you opened up the trade window the first time.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:47:23 am »

EDIT: Ignore this, wrong thread >.<

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:53:37 am »

The queen has come.
Since my race can't die of being, well, old, she's a staggering 356 years of age. Apparently she has 5 kills - one human and five goblins. I expected this, so she'll have all her accommodations soon enough, once everything gets dug out and stuff is made.

I think you're in the wrong thread friend.

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 03:19:40 am »

The trading dwarf needs the appraiser skill for the values to be displayed iirc.

That was the first thing that came to mind, however I could have sworn this isn't the first time I've had a completely ignorant dwarf trade before.  Or maybe it was so long ago that I was still in my "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!" phase and didn't notice.

In any case, thank you for the clarification.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 06:27:06 am »

That was the first thing that came to mind, however I could have sworn this isn't the first time I've had a completely ignorant dwarf trade before.  Or maybe it was so long ago that I was still in my "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!" phase and didn't notice.

Laurin does not rc. As nomad pointed out, the _broker_ needs appraisal skill, the trading dwarf's skill is not taken into account. In this respect, the broker's actually a "passive noble" - they enable value display, whether it's them who trades or someone else.

In fact, since appraiser experience is gained through the act of opening the trade window, the trading dwarf normally has appraisal skill. In most cases, you can fix missing value display by going to the nobles screen and making the dwarf who currently trades your broker. Broker is a no-requirements position and has no real purpose other than value display, so you're not losing anything if your old broker hasn't even novice appraiser skill yet.

Dirac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 03:19:08 pm »

Laurin does not rc. As nomad pointed out, the _broker_ needs appraisal skill, the trading dwarf's skill is not taken into account. In this respect, the broker's actually a "passive noble" - they enable value display, whether it's them who trades or someone else.

And the plot thickens.  This makes much more sense now.

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:06:38 am »

I thought I'd seen trade with no values before, so I thought I'd try this out.  I opened up a mature fort, waited for merchants to appear, then requested a random dwarf to trade.  (I have a skilled vampire trader whose been doing the job for years - 213K Appraiser experience.) Someone with zero trading ability appeared (0xp Appraiser).  I opened and closed the Trade window (didn't perform a single trade) and (a) values appeared just as Larix said they would, and (b) Urist McHadntGotAClue now has 6786xp.