Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves won't equip all their assigned armour.  (Read 2181 times)

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
My dwarves won't equip all their assigned armour.
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:39:38 pm »

So, I had a bit of a GCS accident downstairs and started training an ironclad squad of axedorfs. Once I finished forging all the equipment for them, however, I ran into the same bug that I had in my previous fortress: they simply won't equip some of their assigned stuff.
Notably high boots, gauntlets and helms are something they just outright refuse to wear. I don't know why this is happening. I tried giving them specific instructions on which piece of armour who should wear, but they still weren't picking up the missing equipment.
Anyone got any helpful advice or a solution?
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves won't equip all their assigned armour.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:52:12 pm »

I don't remember every way to fix this. But, first make sure none of them have either the miner or woodcutter profession set on. Also go to the equip tab of the military screen(m)->(e). Double check that they have the correct equipment assigned, and make sure it is set to replace clothing, and be exact matches. I believe there are a few other things you can do. Though that is what I have had to do in separate occasions.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:54:01 pm »

Oh, didn't notice the replace clothing / over clothing option! Thanks for the tip!
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 06:30:12 pm »

-
Notably high boots, gauntlets and helms-

Boots and helms have clothing counterparts that obstruct them from putting on armor: caps, and shoes. Check to see if your warriors are wearing those, if they are designate the clothes for dumping by viewing them in the inventory and pressing "D" (use DFhack to get rid of them quicker). For the gauntlets, your men may be wearing both gloves and mittens, which will stop them from wearing actual armor. Make them get rid of one of the clothing articles, then they should run over to their gloves and pick them up.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:32:35 pm »

Already solved the problem by telling them to replace clothing and then back to over clothing again. Thanks anyways, that's probably a bit easier way to do it. Cleaner, anyways.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:17:43 pm »

Yeah, just replace clothing. I had a HUGE problem with this a while back with the same issue. Replace clothing easiest to do; I !!SCIENCE!!'d that military dwarves typically won't remove their gear when they're active or in a squad.

Also, keep in mind, that dwarves wear a mail shirt as well as a breasplate! This does wonders for the upper arms, as you won't get an sliced open nerves to shatter a dwarves willpower in the middle of a swordfight... Errh... Giantcavespiderfangfight.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 06:39:10 am »

Dump or forbid commands by themselves will not get unneeded clothes off dwarfs. The beards completely ignore those flags on owned items, and civilian clothes are owned by the dwarf who wears them. AFAIK, only the DFHack special commands can actually force them to undress.

Without hacking, "r"eplace clothing is your only option.