Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sewers  (Read 1212 times)

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
Sewers
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:00:35 pm »

So, when I'm sent to kill amphibian or snake men chieftains in the sewers, are they really there? Or is it just a thinly veiled attempt to kill me? So far, I've mapped the entire sewer, the duengoens and catacombs connected to it, led half the city [and the soldiers of three other citites] to their deaths fighting the respawning bandit hordes, killed more titled random creatures than I can count, and have yet to find a single amphibian man, let alone their leader. Any hints?

Side note: why on earth is the castle full of dead bodies? It wasn't me. Do ant-men and cities engage in huge wars or something?
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Sewers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:50:53 pm »

1) Sewers can be almost labyrinthine. There are a multitude of entrances, and some of them don't even go anywhere.

Other times the quest targets bug out and spawn inside a wall instead. This leads to quick suffocation for non-vampires though, so there is that. They can also spawn inside the water, and drown there as well.

Try using DFHack's reveal command around the city. It should help you scout from a safer location. Sewers are notoriously annoying.

2) Sometimes castle dungeons can also serve as burial places, though it seems more common for this to occur in temples. That may just be my observations, however. Dungeons, temples, and sewers can sometimes connect as well, so you may have wandered into a temple burial ground.

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:17:20 am »

I had just three cases of an amphibian boss that set in some water tunnels with no air above them (revelead by dfhack). Only way to get them without cheating would have been to become a vampire or necromancer.

Well thinking about it, maybe there would have been a way to shoot through sewer grates.

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 05:49:51 pm »

1) Sewers can be almost labyrinthine. There are a multitude of entrances, and some of them don't even go anywhere.

Other times the quest targets bug out and spawn inside a wall instead. This leads to quick suffocation for non-vampires though, so there is that. They can also spawn inside the water, and drown there as well.

Try using DFHack's reveal command around the city. It should help you scout from a safer location. Sewers are notoriously annoying.

2) Sometimes castle dungeons can also serve as burial places, though it seems more common for this to occur in temples. That may just be my observations, however. Dungeons, temples, and sewers can sometimes connect as well, so you may have wandered into a temple burial ground.

Okay, thanks! That'll help. If the guy's already dead, how does that affect the quest?

As for the second, no, I mean aboveground. Their ruler's castle from the ground floor up is full of dead bodies and injured guards. And the lord is in about five pieces.
Many say that humanity is a naturally good and benevolent race. Obviously, they have yet to meet us.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 06:04:15 pm »

If they are already dead, you may be able to report it.

Odd about the castle being full of corpses. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that they were all supposed to have died of old age, but somehow lived past their death-by-old-age-point and the game didn't notice until they were loaded onto the map. It happens from time to time.

The lord being mutilated is much more peculiar though. Maybe try checking his legends entry?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:32:22 pm »

I haven't heard that before. Maybe there was a war just prior to you embarking on an adventure?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Jack Smythe

• Bay Watcher
  • What would Urist do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:46:29 pm »

If they are already dead, you may be able to report it.

Odd about the castle being full of corpses. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that they were all supposed to have died of old age, but somehow lived past their death-by-old-age-point and the game didn't notice until they were loaded onto the map. It happens from time to time.

The lord being mutilated is much more peculiar though. Maybe try checking his legends entry?

I'm currently under the assumption he's in one of the water exits to the sewers. Sadly, I got lost and have just had to kill several mummies in the Catacombs. Funny enough, the mummies murdered the priest in charge of the temple. I guess they didn't like his services. The lord was killed by some random guy, not one of my adventurers. My legends is a bit glitchy at the moment, but I think Duuvian's probably got it.

I haven't heard that before. Maybe there was a war just prior to you embarking on an adventure?

Either this or some sort of human raid. There's no ant corpses in the castle, but plenty of dead guys, arms, and ammo. I would ask the three survivors I found, but they wandered off while I was sleeping off some broken limbs and got killed. I think. The game took them off the companion list, so I assume they're dead. Everyone else I've taken down there is. Do the solders you recruit ever respawn/get replaced? I'm running out of cannon fodder.

How Inceptionistic is it to kill someone with their own corpse? Twice? Respawning bandits are fun.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:52 am »

Guards do respawn, unless they died as a historical persons NOT under your command (then, they are replaced by someone else). So your problem is quite strange. Try recruiting from walls.

Also, I think that the "war" was a simple loyalty cascade. Only possible solution for "lord in five pieces" because history generates clean kills. Another possible variant is that one of your companions killed him. Try to find out if killer had "started wandering the wilds" or something like that in his historical records (in the same year as one of your adventurers).
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.