Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Mod Idea] Sacrificial Alchemy  (Read 612 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
[Mod Idea] Sacrificial Alchemy
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:40:56 pm »

A revival of an old Equivalent Exchange mod idea I had, but more dwarven. And yes I know there's a lot of fluff. Sorry.

To begin using alchemy, first you must acquire Alchemical Catalyst, which during these initial stages must be bought from a caravan. (Very expensively, though, something around 1000+ Dwarfbucks) Since Adamantine is the only substance known to resist the effects of Alchemical Catalyst, you will need both a pair of Adamantine gloves and an Adamantine pot for protection while utilizing it in one of the various alchemical workshops. Additionally, due to their unusual repulsive properties toward Catalyst and its products, one or two cut gemstones will be required for manipulating both the Catalyst and its product; matter, broken down into its most basic components.

The usual storage method for both Alchemical Catalyst as well as the broken down Matter is something called an Alchemical Gem/Star, which is essentially a container constructed out of a large, hollowed-out gemstone. These work due to the aforementioned repulsive properties, allowing one to carefully 'pour' the matter into a hole in the container, then securing it with a lid. The repulsive properties prevent the dangerous contents from touching the sides, similar to an electromagnet containing plasma.
It is also notable that green and clear glass do not have these properties, though crystal glass does.

Now, to the use of Catalyst, and the resulting Matter:

The first workshop you'll want is the Matter Forge, which uses fuel to power and Catalyst to, well, catalyze the break down of objects into Matter. A magma variant should, of course, be available as well. Different items and materials are worth differing amounts of Matter, which is represented in three tiers: Gaseous Matter, eight units of which can be combined with fuel to form Viscous Matter, eight of which can then be combined again into Solid Matter. Additionally, every operation has a chance (something around 5-2%) to consume the catalyst, and twice that chance to release a cloud of deadly gas which reduces any living thing caught in it into a pile of 'Grotesque Alchemical Bits'. But what is progress without sacrifice? Just make sure you reserve this task for the most special and valued members of your fortress, such as soap makers and potash burners.

Now that you have this glorious Matter, to use it requires one of the following workshops:
Alchemical Mold, which consumes Matter to produce all kinds of colors of alchemical stone for all your construction needs (It's also as or more valuable then obsidian) or Alchemical Gemstones, for crafts or Alchemical Gem/Star production.

Alchemical Smelter, which consumes Matter to produce various kinds of alchemical metals, each with differing properties, values, advantages, and disadvantages.

Alchemical Extruder, which consumes Matter to produce various colors of alchemical wood, thread, and maybe a few other organic materials.

Alchemical Synthesizer, which consumes Matter to produce very low-value food and alcoholic products. Also able to produce water and lava from Matter, preferably in a bucket or other container, if possible.

But by now, you must be thinking, "Man, it sure would be great to be able to produce that glorious Catalyst myself!"
Well... That, is a secret closely guarded by those few, insane alchemists whom lock themselves in their towers and mysteriously mass-produce the stuff. Perhaps one could try studying those Grotesque Alchemical Bits at an Alchemical Labratory? Surely there must be some kind of secrets locked in that horridly twisted flesh!

Spoiler for how it's actually made, if this is ever actually turned into a mod... Also, to see if this or something like it is actually possible.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, it's been awhile since I've played Dwarf Fortress, let alone modded it, so I'm rather curious how much of this is still possible. I know that the whole stuff to matter and matter to stuff can be done with workshops quite easily, though I'm not sure about the other things...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:22:24 am by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [Mod Idea] Sacrificial Alchemy
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:40 am »

Everything is possible. Not sure how useful would the buckets of water be since dwarves don't usually use already existing buckets of water when giving water/filling pond but take from a water source instead using empty buckets, but everything else is pretty trivial to make.

P.S. I meant the transmutation part. Stuff like mines would be a bit more difficult to do, but it's possible. Make it an immobile creature with a short sight range and give it an interaction to turn itself into a dying creature which drops the explosive stone when it attacks.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:12:28 am »

Everything is possible. Not sure how useful would the buckets of water be since dwarves don't usually use already existing buckets of water when giving water/filling pond but take from a water source instead using empty buckets, but everything else is pretty trivial to make.

P.S. I meant the transmutation part. Stuff like mines would be a bit more difficult to do, but it's possible. Make it an immobile creature with a short sight range and give it an interaction to turn itself into a dying creature which drops the explosive stone when it attacks.

You're almost there Deon for a "Mine" creature, Immobile check, Short Vision Check, Interaction was close. Make the Mine from materials that melt and ignite at a temp just under fire. Then you create a custom interaction like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Since the creature is IMMOBILE you can give it a high speed so it can "trigger" when something is near more easily. I normally couple it with a HIDE interaction as well so it's harder to detect. Since it will be a PET you can always see it and pasture it where you like. There are normally rare chances where the Mine can survive but in most cases it melts properly.

Also this Mod seems interesting.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:43 am »

Why just not to make it transform itself into a dying creature which leaves an exploding itemcorpse?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:49:26 am »

Most exploding itemcorpses are just a boiling stone, not much of an explosion. maybe if it was 3 at the same time might do something to those standing in it, but now how does that work. Only way I see that interaction working is on a usage_hint FLEE and even then the best it can do is a little gas attack (boiling rock) less of course you are saying combine the two:

CASTE:MINE -normal sitting, can use a transform interaction when frightened
CASTE:MINE_ACTIVE - slowly dies either from bleeding out, can use an "explode" interaction to all nearby targets.

Reason why I have the custom self explode interaction is the "UNDIRECTED_DUST" and DRAGONFIRE the target is burned and knocked back like a real explosion would.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:18:31 am »

Yep, that makes perfect sense. It will work much better than a small boiling rock.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:06:02 pm »

What about the sword or bolt of catalytic metal exploding on contact with blood? I seem to recall reactions like that not working in certain situations...
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly