Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 40

Author Topic: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread  (Read 77358 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread
« Reply #405 on: January 16, 2018, 01:27:40 pm »

The CNN article doesn't say how it happened, but the NYT article does. It certainly wasn't built the same way as Hawaii's, but someone still screwed up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #406 on: January 16, 2018, 08:53:17 pm »

You know the false missile alert in Hawaii? Japan got hit with thier instance of it, and within days of the Hawaii one.
Unlike Hawaii, which took over a half hour to be corrected, this one got corrected within minutes.
Hawaii needs to get gud

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 24, 2018, 08:44:41 pm »

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/23/588217754/photos-myanmar-apparently-razing-remains-of-rohingya-villages

No genocide here, move along.

Why isn' more of the world being tough on Myanmar when they pull shit like this? That is my main question.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 25, 2018, 12:51:48 am »

Because the world generally aren't tough on countries when this sort of thing happens?
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 25, 2018, 02:46:49 pm »

Maybe after the fact.  You kinda need the media to help out, before people start caring.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #411 on: February 25, 2018, 09:21:52 pm »

Why isn' more of the world being tough on Myanmar when they pull shit like this? That is my main question.
There are not many ways to be tough on Myanmar without causing a war which may be lost, and has a high probability of making everything worse. The situation in Burma is delicate. The authoritarian regime is strong but unstable and politically repressive, there are ongoing terrorist attacks in most states, with ongoing conflict in Kachin, Shan and Rakhine, in three individual separatist-state wars. This does not include all the lower scale conflicts on the borders of Burma and its neighbours in Bangladesh, Laos and China. The situation with other ethnic states remains volatile. The ability for foreign agents and journalists to act in Burma is severely curtailed. The Burmese mountains, forests and monsoon seasons are also some of the most formidable in the world, which means that even if the Chinese were not ambivalently keeping their eye on Burma, nations with great expeditionary capability like the USA might think twice about embarking upon an invasion which would make Vietnam seem pleasant by comparison. The international community's main hope came in the form of Aung San Syuu Kyi, who went from being a political prisoner to a great liberal proponent in an otherwise tightly controlled authoritarian regime. These hopes did not translate into any useful movement in Burma, as Aung San Syuu Kyi was elusive on the topic of the Rakhine cleansing.
The end result is inaction, because those that are not indifferent, do not capable options available. It is notable that even for all those who are knowledgeable of the Rakhine situation, they are not of the ethnic conflicts, terrorism, child soldiery that have pervaded this region since WWII and the partition of the Raj. Thus there is an element of Western media only selectively reporting when abuses align with its agenda, such as when Middle Eastern regimes transform from forces of stability into evil rogue states. In cynical terms, the West only cared when Burma started pumping oil to China, bypassing US control of the straits of Malacca

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 11, 2018, 11:28:10 am »

With 2958 votes in favour, and 2 votes against, the National People's Congress of China approved of Constitutional changes which make it possible for Xi to stay in power for the rest of his life, by scrapping the rule that limits a president to two terms (which was added to the Constitution to prevent a Mao from happening again), and also to enshrine Xi's personal vision into the Constitution, so it is now a crime against the Constitution to critisize his descisions.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #413 on: March 11, 2018, 11:30:29 am »

With 2958 votes in favour, and 2 votes against, the National People's Congress of China approved of Constitutional changes which make it possible for Xi to stay in power for the rest of his life, by scrapping the rule that limits a president to two terms (which was added to the Constitution to prevent a Mao from happening again), and also to enshrine Xi's personal vision into the Constitution, so it is now a crime against the Constitution to critisize his descisions.
banter

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 11, 2018, 11:36:58 am »

Pfft, they seriously went there with making it a crime to criticise his decisions? Does that apply to his advisors? If so, then that could mean that they can't critique his decisions.

This is exactly the kind of thing that they were trying to avoid after Mao.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #415 on: March 11, 2018, 11:52:42 am »

Pfft, they seriously went there with making it a crime to criticise his decisions? Does that apply to his advisors? If so, then that could mean that they can't critique his decisions.

This is exactly the kind of thing that they were trying to avoid after Mao.
Yeah, it's pretty much a legal ratification of what has already become the case. Xi Jinping's anti-corruption drive also had the benefit (or some might say, intended purpose) of gutting all of his internal opposition, while he steadily assumed command of every branch of gov under the party, and consolidated his own position in the party. He steadily wiped out all internal factions, on the basis that taking power will result in legitimate authority later - and sure enough, there is no one to stop him assuming total control. He reminds me a bit of a more hardcore and communist Lee Kuan Yew, being an authoritarian leader who cracks down on civil liberty to make the nation stable & prosperous through the quelling of internal dissent and corruption - resulting in popular support.
I worry that Xi Jinping will not be as successful as Lee Kuan Yew, because China is a considerably larger country to govern, and without anyone to give him critical advise it is entirely possible for him to make enough bad decisions to royally fuck up China. His endorsement for continued aggressive expansion in the South China seas is also cause for anxiety, as he would only need to keep pressuring until the Americans elect one weak President to successfully contest for sovereign control of international waters. At least the belt and road initiative is some spicy meatball stuff everyone can look forward to

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 23, 2018, 04:43:19 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #417 on: May 23, 2018, 05:03:48 pm »

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/23/613662601/rohingya-militants-massacred-hindus-amnesty-says-they-were-all-slaughtered

War makes monsters out of men. God damn it humanity. Stop being shitty to each other.
That's so fucking metal

At least 53 people, most of them children, were told to convert or die. They chose death over disbelief

The children chose death

Fuck this world

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 23, 2018, 05:14:02 pm »

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/23/613662601/rohingya-militants-massacred-hindus-amnesty-says-they-were-all-slaughtered

War makes monsters out of men. God damn it humanity. Stop being shitty to each other.

Also really not helping the whole Rohingya crisis as Myanmar now has an actual crime to use against them.

Edit: wrong country.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:22:04 pm by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 23, 2018, 05:16:03 pm »

Also really not helping the whole Rohingya crisis as Thailand now has an actual crime to use against them.

You know the Rohingya are in Myanmar, not Thailand, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 40