Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 40

Author Topic: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread  (Read 78123 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread
« Reply #525 on: July 30, 2020, 07:47:34 am »

I mean. They have families and shit they care for. Seeking refuge abroad means your family goes to the slave camps, iirc. Or that they're executed.
I feel like it's probably mostly this, with potentially a side of fear that they're being watched by NK's omniscient presence and that even if they don't have any living loved ones at home, they themselves are being judged on their response and will be tortured/executed if they fail to do what's expected of them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 30, 2020, 02:20:35 pm »

Shinzo Abe has declared he is retiring as Prime Minister of Japan due to his ulcerative colitis.

If you aren't familiar with Abe's politics, he's often compared to Trump, particularly on racial nationalism. He is also the grandson of Nobusuke Kishi, one of Imperial Japan's worst war criminals and also a PM of Japan at one point.

But don't worry, because Abe's likely successors as PM include such potentials as two clones of Abe, a guy who said Hitler was right, and a guy who said nuclear war is inevitable so we should just nuke China first. #JustLDPThings
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #527 on: August 30, 2020, 07:15:01 pm »

Shinzo Abe has declared he is retiring as Prime Minister of Japan due to his ulcerative colitis.

If you aren't familiar with Abe's politics, he's often compared to Trump, particularly on racial nationalism. He is also the grandson of Nobusuke Kishi, one of Imperial Japan's worst war criminals and also a PM of Japan at one point.

But don't worry, because Abe's likely successors as PM include such potentials as two clones of Abe, a guy who said Hitler was right, and a guy who said nuclear war is inevitable so we should just nuke China first. #JustLDPThings
Is that like the US metric system, where everything is units of football fields, hamburgers and Trumps

Mr. Abe has so far declined to name a favorite candidate, saying that the leading ones were all “very promising.”
Diadochi: "Alexander, who amongst us should lead your Empire?"
Alexander: "The strongest,"

*EDIT
I love how toned down Al Jazeera's take is
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/japan-prime-minister-shinzo-abe-successors-200828070808872.html
Minister of Finance Taro Aso, 79, who also doubles as deputy prime minister, has been a core member of Abe's administration. Without a clear consensus on who should succeed Abe, LDP legislators could elect Aso as a temporary leader if Abe resigns.
The grandson of a former prime minister, Aso mixes policy experience with a fondness for manga comics and a tendency towards gaffes.
Translation: Weaboo and werhmachtaboo

Shigeru Ishiba
A hawkish former defence minister and rare LDP critic of Abe, Shigeru Ishiba, 63, regularly tops surveys of legislators whom voters want to see as the next prime minister, but is less popular with the party's legislators.
The soft-spoken security maven has also held portfolios for agriculture and reviving local economies.
Popular with voters, but billy no mates in his own party

Fumio Kishida, 63, served as foreign minister under Abe from 2012 to 2017, but diplomacy remained mainly in the prime minister's grip.
The low-key legislator from Hiroshima has been widely seen as Abe's preferred successor but ranks low in voter surveys.

Minister of Defense Taro Kono, 56, has a reputation of being a maverick but has toed the line on key Abe policies, including a stern stance in a feud with South Korea over wartime history.
Educated at Georgetown University and a fluent English speaker, he previously served as foreign minister and minister for administrative reform.
Like Abe, but younger
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:26:08 pm by Loud Whispers »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 30, 2020, 08:04:24 pm »

I'm seeing people say Taro would be the pro-US choice. Imagine being pro-US in Twenty^2.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 31, 2020, 12:44:21 pm »

Visions of a US-Japan partitiion of China along a South-North axis.  (Okay, that's enough sniffing newsprint for me.. ;D)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #530 on: August 31, 2020, 07:07:48 pm »

I'm seeing people say Taro would be the pro-US choice. Imagine being pro-US in Twenty^2.
Easy choice to make when your neighbour is China, better to choose the farthest evil

Visions of a US-Japan partitiion of China along a South-North axis.  (Okay, that's enough sniffing newsprint for me.. ;D)
What about US-China partition of Japan on an East-West axis?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 01, 2020, 12:25:05 am »

What about US-China partition of Japan on an East-West axis?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nah, the US and China haven't really co-operated* since... they drove the Japanese off the mainland.

* Even the word 'co-operation' smacks of damn commies.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #532 on: September 01, 2020, 09:23:50 am »

Nah, the US and China haven't really co-operated* since... they drove the Japanese off the mainland.

* Even the word 'co-operation' smacks of damn commies.
I just wanted to propose terrible map borders, I don't think it's feasible

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 01, 2020, 09:29:33 am »

I say we agree on those borders, except the US and China also get the island's outside the opposite partation's coast
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #534 on: September 01, 2020, 09:31:35 am »

I say we agree on those borders, except the US and China also get the island's outside the opposite partation's coast
I think the islands should go to Brazil, India and both Koreas to amplify the border gore

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 02, 2020, 09:48:06 am »

I think the islands should go to Brazil, India and both Koreas to amplify the border gore

I see you follow the Hearts of Iron 4 school of peace treaties.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #536 on: September 02, 2020, 09:58:33 am »

I see you follow the Hearts of Iron 4 school of peace treaties.
Broke: PHD in international relations
Woke: haha kurils go to switzerland, shikoku to finland

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #537 on: September 02, 2020, 03:00:48 pm »

big banter moment but India just captured a Chinese base in the Himalayas using an elite unit of ethnic tibetan commandos after the Chinese launched a covert attack with 500 men. What an embarrassing day for CCP

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 04, 2020, 03:49:09 am »

Um, er, well, that's an 'interesting' way of putting it.  But yeah something went down.

The more important question is what measures the PRC take to deal with the rise of violent fascism, both near and far.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 04, 2020, 05:34:30 am »

What?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 40