Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40

Author Topic: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread  (Read 77833 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread
« Reply #570 on: February 28, 2021, 04:57:01 pm »

Ceterum autem censeo Chinam esse delendam
Totally agree but it should be 'Sinam' for the proper Latin flavor :P

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 01, 2021, 04:52:44 am »

War isn't always bad. War is horrible, but not always bad. Imagine how the world would be like if we hadn't gone to war with Hitler. And China is becoming more and more like Hitler, with how for example they genocide the Uigurs, and supress opposition.

But yeah, I'd prefer China be destroyed from within by protests and democratic reforms than by war.
The whole western world was hoping this would be the outcome of welcoming China to the world table in the mid-twentieth century. The idea was that by raising the standard of living of the majority of the Chinese population from subsistence farming to middle-class western standards, they'd quickly demand personal liberties and topple their authoritarian government.

Instead, we get Tiananmen Square, a democratic Chinese government in exile in Taiwan that never returned to the mainland, and a Orwellian surveillance state of totalitarianism.

But hey, they make cheap stuff for us and buy our resources, so we'll continue to ignore their human rights violations. Plus, they've got big voting blocks in the UN, so it's not too hard to change the definition of human rights as well.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 01, 2021, 05:00:23 am »

Yeah.. I think the world still needs to let the fact that they lost their foothold for that with the new Hong Kong law sink in.
I think historians will note that this marked the definitive end of the attempt at bringing democratic reforms to China.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 01, 2021, 12:08:55 pm »

Xi may have cooked his goose with his shenanigans in Hong Kong. He absolutely could have gotten away with the annexation of the South China Sea, but running the whole Uighur concentration camps, Hong Kong, the coronavirus, and whatever the hell that wolf warrior diplomacy nonsense was supposed to be. I do wonder whether he’s going senile, fending off internal threats, or just has a god complex.

That being said, with the US and EU being pretty distracted with internal divisions, I do wonder if maybe he might not be as crazy as he looks from the outside. If he gets away with it, forget liberalising China - we’ll be writing the obituary of liberalism globally.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 01, 2021, 03:00:23 am »

Myanmar has already been facing bloodbaths for the past 2 weeks. Last week, the army warned the population that any more protest will be met with shooting in the head and shooting in the back. They meant it, and they did it. Already 100s of dead, most of them were shot in the head.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 01, 2021, 03:50:43 am »

Also, China is floating a 'fishing' fleet off the Philippine coast, except the vessels aren't moving, aren't fishing, and all appear to be brand new off the line.

The modern day land grab is now the ocean. God only knows how many unmanned submarine drones China has out there, mapping the region for future wars.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #577 on: April 02, 2021, 12:06:40 pm »

Also, China is floating a 'fishing' fleet off the Philippine coast, except the vessels aren't moving, aren't fishing, and all appear to be brand new off the line.

The modern day land grab is now the ocean. God only knows how many unmanned submarine drones China has out there, mapping the region for future wars.
It's like the Russian green men; station irregular forces in disputed territory so that any conflict triggered is triggered by the opposing party. Combine politics with warfare, the Philippines cannot counter these "fishing ships crewed and armed by CCP militia" without resorting to actual Phillipino navy vessels, which in turn opens the door for intervention by Chinese naval and air forces posted in their "research reefs"

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 07, 2021, 07:08:47 am »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/6/myanmars-anti-coup-bloc-to-form-a-defence-force

Headline: Defence force aimed to protect civilians from security forces and could be a precursor to establishing a Federal Union Army.

Seems like the UN aught to do whatever they do for this
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 07:11:47 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #579 on: May 10, 2021, 04:18:45 am »

Seems like the UN aught to do whatever they do for this
Strongly worded letter?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 10, 2021, 07:25:50 am »

Which is promptly vetoed by China.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 07, 2022, 05:13:47 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/07/1121427407/survivors-of-a-massacre-in-south-korea-are-still-seeking-an-apology-from-the-u-s
This was a great listen during my morning commute. I didn’t know that these brutal killings occurred at Jeju. The US really needs to apologize for these murders. Hopefully discussions and dialogue about this tragedy will continue in South Korea.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #582 on: September 08, 2022, 04:05:24 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/07/1121427407/survivors-of-a-massacre-in-south-korea-are-still-seeking-an-apology-from-the-u-s
This was a great listen during my morning commute. I didn’t know that these brutal killings occurred at Jeju. The US really needs to apologize for these murders. Hopefully discussions and dialogue about this tragedy will continue in South Korea.
Probably won't happen any time soon; US military has a history of keeping quiet on shameful actions, like the quiet sweeping away of military crimes in Okinawa

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #583 on: November 23, 2022, 09:59:14 am »

The Malaysia-based Centre for Independent Journalism (CIJ) set up a team to monitor hate speech on social media during the campaign and its data showed race-based narratives dominated the political discourse.

In an analysis part way through the campaign it identified PAS and its leader Abdul Hadi Awang as among the worst offenders.

“They have resorted to fear-triggering Muslim voters with phrases like ‘going to hell if you vote Pakatan Harapan and Barisan Nasional’, and inciting violence against ‘kafir harbi’ (enemies of Islam), and for calling Malays to unite and fight against the Chinese (DAP) and Indians,” CIJ said in a statement.

Muhyiddin also attracted criticism after claiming at a PN rally that PH was working with Christians and Jews to “convert” Muslims in Malaysia in a speech that was shared widely on TikTok.
Uh oh

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 23, 2022, 10:38:40 am »

Can we just fucking stop with the divisive rhetoric? Please? I want to live in a world where people can actually get along, Christ almighty.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40