Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40

Author Topic: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread  (Read 76382 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread
« Reply #345 on: October 10, 2017, 09:14:06 am »

, if you're burning villages and attacking people as a Buddhist monk, UR DOIN IT WRONG
I dont know why people have this idealized version of Buddhism. It has its own share of fanatical nutcases, just like any of the others.   IIRC there are records of wars between momasteries for doctrinal differences
I know (Ikko-Ikki, etc.). Just feels like they have even less theological justification than Christian monks to engage in genocide. If the world is illusion, why give a fuck what other people are doing if it's not harming others?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 10, 2017, 09:36:31 am »

And doctrine can definitely be observed to make a difference in how fanatics act. You don't see any terrorist Jains, their fanatics only commit suicide by malnutrition. And there's a similar thing with Buddhists in the form of those self-mummifying monks.

A lot of the other "eastern" religions at least have the promotion of social order and hierarchy to fall back on, but Buddhism was founded specifically to get away from Hinduism's harsh legalism. All I can think of is that this is just plain sectarian.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 10, 2017, 09:38:22 am »

Or ethnic strife masquerading as religious.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 21, 2017, 11:40:06 am »

ptw
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 24, 2017, 03:50:41 pm »

So...this happened.

I've been increasingly disquieted by Xi Jinping over the last couple of years. When he first assumed the office, conventional thought was that he was another relatively bland technocrat that would carry on in the tradition of Hu Jintao or Jiang Zemin.

The first surprise was a series of anti-corruption purges within the Communist Party itself. This cemented the idea of him as a reformer in the minds of many Chinese. But in hindsight, it begins to look like it may well have been "get rid of potential rivals and threats to my powerbase" purges.

There's also been an increasing willingness to flex China's military muscles (through display and moderate provocation, not outright hostility), and a tacit support of nationalist sentiment.

And in the last year or two, there's been a retreat from the pro-market policies of his predecessors, including intervention to stabilize the Shanghai stock market, and less favor shown to the SEZs (special economic zones -- the areas of mostly coastal China where free enterprise is allowed).

Now, this is not without some merit. Wealth disparity in China is an ever-growing problem, as is illegal internal migration (the liudong renkou) to the major cities. Putting the brakes on China's move towards capitalism isn't a bad idea. But Xi seems to be signalling that he not only wants to put on the brakes, but maybe throw it into reverse as well.

And most troubling is the way he seems to be positioning himself as a primarch rather than a "first among equals" oligarch, as Jiang and Hu (and to some extent, Deng Xiaoping) were.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 24, 2017, 04:19:03 pm »

That's kind of the thing with unelected officials at the top of the political pyramid, someone is sooner or later going to want to consolidate power. Happened since before Caesar.

I saw another article saying that he has attained Mao-like power and the one you linked says that he could very well be 'emperor for life'.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 24, 2017, 04:26:48 pm »

Well, they are elected, it's just by a relatively small electorate and only after everything has been arranged beforehand so that the vote is merely ceremonial. Not unlike a corporate Board of Directors.

And yeah, Xi seems to be setting the stage for holding on to his position for life, unlike his predecessors who had stepped aside after roughly 10 years each.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #352 on: October 24, 2017, 05:53:19 pm »

There's also been an increasing willingness to flex China's military muscles (through display and moderate provocation, not outright hostility), and a tacit support of nationalist sentiment.
The Chinese People Liberation Army's Navy carried out exercises in the Baltics for the first time in Chinese history, well, the first time any Chinese naval vessel has really. Proper spicy :]

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 24, 2017, 07:43:55 pm »

The Chinese People Liberation Army's Navy carried out exercises in the Baltics for the first time in Chinese history, well, the first time any Chinese naval vessel has really. Proper spicy :]
The Baltics? That's interesting.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #354 on: October 25, 2017, 03:18:17 am »

The Baltics? That's interesting.
Though they're not ready for it, they want to give the image of China preparing for world power-projection

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 25, 2017, 02:45:56 pm »

I can only imagine how many times they had to make port calls to refuel.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 25, 2017, 06:05:05 pm »

On the topic of China, Xi Jinping is consolidating his position.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/24/world/asia/xi-jinping-china.html?_r=0
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 25, 2017, 06:23:39 pm »

He just consolidated power, so, of course there's no designated successor yet. He can take as much time as he wants in deciding on a successor now that he is effectively emperor for life (or at least until he decides he is unable to carry on his duties).

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 25, 2017, 06:27:57 pm »

It's a bit scary that as the west shoots itself in the foot China gains ground. I would rather the alternative to dysfunctional neoliberal democracy is something that's not an authoritarian police state.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 25, 2017, 08:02:50 pm »

It's a bit scary that as the west shoots itself in the foot China gains ground. I would rather the alternative to dysfunctional neoliberal democracy is something that's not an authoritarian police state.

Maybe that's the reason. With the US president making a buffoon of himself on a daily basis, what better time is there to consolidate your power when no one is likely to listen to him when he starts warning about China.

I mean he basically already beat that drum to death during the elections. So when he "blah blah blah China"'s some more, even if he's right, would anyone listen at this point?

Not saying Trump has some real insight; even a broken watch is right twice a day.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40