Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should we direct the work of this mod?

Strictly the old series
- 12 (37.5%)
2012 version of XCom: Enemy Unknown, but with TFTD and Apocalypse strictly as they were
- 1 (3.1%)
2012 version of XCom: Enemy Unknown, with TFTD and Apocalypse modified to better mesh with it
- 12 (37.5%)
Vote for this if you don't care but want to see the results, but not have to click 'view poll' each time (Warning: Your vote cannot be changed because my finger slipped and hit the enter key by accident and you cannot modify polls to allow vote change.)
- 7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: X-Com Mod (Additional Modders Requested)(Poll ends 9 PM CST April 30)  (Read 2212 times)

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

tentative deadline

Scared me for a minute there.

I'm hacking an Aquatoid creature together right now, and immediately after a Gillman. I think testing would be best achieved if we came up with an Aqua-Plastic/Alien Alloy material right off the bat, to compare weapon strength alongside steel. (For the purposes of your various realistic weapons, I would assume steel would be the best material to test them with.) I was thinking a short distance above steel as far as protective properties with a sizable reduction in weight.

EDIT: Putting together an aqua-plastic material for testing purposes. The goal is to reduce steel weapons to laceration/bruising level, and sonic/plasma to dangerous levels from lethal ones (I'm imagining a soldier without armor would loose limbs to plasma rifles, while a soldier in personal armor would only suffer serious damage).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:27:44 pm by Ruludos »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You can take and alter anything from MDF as you like.

Edit: Would it not make sense to remove all melee weapons and good metals, and only allow good metals for ammo? Xcom soldiers dont even have knives, it was all ranged combat.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:51:48 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarf Fortress heavily favors melee combat; I think combat knives/drills would still be a good idea, and that the complete removal of melee weaponry would not be. Considering ammo limits, an inability to aim attacks (headshots to unconscious creatures in particular), and the AI's preference for melee in close quarters, ranged weapons are best suited for a support role (or, in the case of powerful cannons and such, are at their best when paired with melee soldiers who can clean up disabled opponents).

You can take and alter anything from MDF as you like.

A generous offer. Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:00:56 pm by Ruludos »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

...it was all ranged combat.

The Vibroblades and Thermic Lances would like to talk with you.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't forget the ever-popular stun rod and thermal tazer.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

None of these were in the 2012 XCOM enemy unknown/within. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

So, 2012 version had less variability in weapon choice? How surprising.
._.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

"You're vote?" :D

I'm looking forward to see how it goes. And I voted to get every info and invent your own, because the more variety, the more fun it is.

So, 2012 version had less variability in weapon choice? How surprising.
2012 was a vanilla icecream released for less hardcore public, so it's much easier and has less everything.

The classic UFO and TFFD still remain my favourite XCOM games. Apocalypse was fun but too easy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:00:35 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I can help out with the modding of this, likely going to be weekends from now on. What needs to be written?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

I can help out with the modding of this, likely going to be weekends from now on. What needs to be written?

Anything with 'unclaimed'.  Tell me which part you want to work on, and I'll mark you down as working on it.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com Mod (Additional Modders Requested)(Poll ends 9 PM CST April 30)
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 04:45:14 pm »

Moved the poll end date to the last day of April due to how close together two options are.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:34 pm »

Wow. That's neck and neck.

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 11:12:28 pm »

Out of all of them, Apocalypse had the most diversity as far as weapon choices.

Really.. Xcom 1, Terror from the Deep and XCom 2012 are all pretty much level as far as weapon choices go.

Xcom 1 you have a little bit of choice, and laser rifles at least stay useful for a good portion of the game, but heavy plasma, stun bomb and guided missiles just dominate.

Terror from the deep is all about Stun bombs, sonic weapons were bad, but needed as Gauss were horrible against most enemies, let alone the dreaded Lobstermen... Melee weapons worked though.

In Apoc, even the starting weapons were useful throughout, and diverse. Machine Guns, Dual pistols (plasma even), and the cannon were nice. Sniping with Lasers was effective, and then you got into the missiles/micro missiles, and things like Plasma Swords which were fun. Eventually Disruptors and Bio-guns came about, but at least I ended up using micro-missiles for most of the game. Granted, the entire game's more than a bit buggy so there's that...

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Whoops.  I forgot about this yesterday.  Alright, poll is closing with...usage of 2012 and updating the older games.  I'll get to work on the additional base weaponry.
Pages: 1 [2]