Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I force dwarves to use large stone pots for storing seeds and food  (Read 1215 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi all!

How can I force dwarves to use large stone pots for storing seeds and food? Currenctly I have a lot of empty pots on the furniture stockpile, but dwarves don't use them for storing food. Even more strange is the fact that they can use them for brewing, though I thought that it's possible only when the pots are glazed. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

Glazing is only for earthenware, which is a product of regular clay. All other types of pots do not need glazing.

Are your dwarves using anything else to store food or seeds at the moment? If you try and get rid of empty barrels, your dwarves will be more likely to take the pots instead.

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the answer!

Glazing is only for earthenware, which is a product of regular clay. All other types of pots do not need glazing.

Ah, ok.

Are your dwarves using anything else to store food or seeds at the moment?

No. For example, I have a lot of plump helmet spawns just laying in the food stockpile and I have many empty barrels and large stone pots in the furniture stockpile.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

That is odd. Did you allow the food stockpile to use barrels and pots?

Alternatively, is the furniture stockpile linked to a workshop?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

My dwarves sometimes won't put seeds in anything but a bag, though they'll happily put lots of bags into a barrel. And is the food stockpile full? I have also seen seeds cover up every space of the stockpile, obscuring the barrels/pots beneath.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My dwarves sometimes won't put seeds in anything but a bag, though they'll happily put lots of bags into a barrel. And is the food stockpile full? I have also seen seeds cover up every space of the stockpile, obscuring the barrels/pots beneath.

Seeds can only be stored in bags. While a bag can be stored in a barrel, dwarves wont store seed directly into it without a bag. So, it might be the problem of the OP, at least for the seed part. Check if you have enought bags for your seeds.

Another common issue with food storage is the size of the stacks. The production of lavish meal, when backed by some legendary growers, can create huge stacks of food that dont fit in any barrel or large pot.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

It's actually recommended to have a seed stockpile separate from your food stockpiles that does not use barrels or pots. This is because seeds are very commonly left behind by dwarves who've just eaten a raw vegetable or by brewers' brewing. Since one barrel can hold a lot of bags of seeds, often the majority if not all (especially early on) your seed stockpile will be fit (inside bags) inside of a single barrel. This means when one of those seeds are generated, a dwarf will grab the barrel and with it all of your seeds, bring the barrel to where the seed is laying, and then put it in a bag in the barrel. This will result in plant seed jobs being cancelled until that barrel is back in place in it's stockpile. Since seeds are so common it is a large reduction in farm productivity as the barrel will be traveling quite a bit. If the stockpile does not allow barrels, only one bag of seeds will be taken leaving other full bags in the stockpile to be planted.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)

As for the original issue (dwarves not using pots), I don't have the issue. Either you are doing something wrong (title says stone pots, which doesn't relate to glazing), or one of the binary patches I installed fixed it. But I didn't explicitly install anything to fix it, so probably the former. I mean, DF isn't NetHack, a tiny change somewhere won't randomly break everything else :P
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally, once I can get a decent stock and supply of pots (stone or otherwise) I tend to get rid of barrels.

Only once all the barrels are gone will the dorfs stop using them.

Protip: Sell barrels to caravans, keep the pots if they REALLY bug you.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!