Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grazer Player-Civ !!Science!!  (Read 3292 times)

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grazer Player-Civ !!Science!!
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:58:49 pm »

I was thinking about making a civ with the grazer tag, and came to ask questions, didn't find answers  by searching, and realized I might as well test it myself.

As it turns out, grazer for player civs works out... okayish.

I gave dwarves [grazer:1000] and set FPS to unlimited.  Embarked with no food.  They all ran out of booze then dehydrated to death.

I gave dwarves [grazer:1000] and [NO_DRINK] (don't think they effect each other), embarked with no food, and they survived years and years on the grass alone.

I gave dwarves [grazer:1000] and [NO_DRINK], did not bring food, dug hole and made it a meeting hall.  Dwarves came in, and eventually got hungry until one starved to death.  I then made another meeting hall out on the grass, and they all went there and stopped being hungry.

From the three tests, it appears that grazer dwarves do eat grass, can subsist off of pure grass, but have no instinct to go seek out new grass.

My understanding of the grazer tag is that it does not affect hunger, just changes how much the hunger counter is reduced by eating one grass.  The wiki says that it is 100,000 hunger ticks, but that would mean my starved dwarves would have to eat 100 grass each to recover from near-starvation.  It did not appear anywhere near that.

One assumes underground grass/moss/fungus should work fine.  Still need to test if they will eat food normally.  Still need to test what organs, if any, are necessary for grazing.  (Is a mouth or something needed for eating in general?)  Etc.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grazer Player-Civ !!Science!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:49:09 am »

That's pretty cool, but if they won't go feed themselves, then it would be pointlessly futile unless doing a purely above ground human style city, sadly =/

Unless they can still also eat normal food, and grazing is treated supplementally? That could work. Sort of like the opposite of the mole people, where the underclass lives outdoors and slaves away on megaprojects and grass, and the nobles get to live underground and eat normal food.

Note that carnivore also works.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:46:33 am »

OMG. I swear to all modding gods, I will use this somehow. Centauren civ, some kind of elf-connected-to-nature, or antmen that only live of cavern moss...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:52:05 am »

That's pretty cool, but if they won't go feed themselves, then it would be pointlessly futile unless doing a purely above ground human style city, sadly =/

Unless they can still also eat normal food, and grazing is treated supplementally? That could work. Sort of like the opposite of the mole people, where the underclass lives outdoors and slaves away on megaprojects and grass, and the nobles get to live underground and eat normal food.

Now what about putting both tags in the same creature?  I'm guessing they would denude the grass uselessly, but it would be awesome if they could get sustenance from the animated grasses in evil biomes.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:55:20 am »

I wonder if adventurer grazers will starve?

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 04:38:25 pm »

Also you could use the spores from the caverns and water the stone underground for muddied stone.  I'm almost certain pretty sure they can eat food.

There is still a problem with people working in workshops nonstop or whatever.  Also I wonder if there's even a job cancellation for going to get food, and winding up fed on the way.  I think that they seek out new grass when idling, but they also kinda wander while idling.

OMG. I swear to all modding gods, I will use this somehow. Centauren civ, some kind of elf-connected-to-nature, or antmen that only live of cavern moss...
I wound up in this idea from thinking about natural weapons, and then thinking about Andalites from Animorphs.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:43:02 pm by Nil Athelion »

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 01:57:26 pm »

and what if a civ member gets wounded and is sent to a hospital?he dies from starvation,right?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:46:17 am »

and what if a civ member gets wounded and is sent to a hospital?he dies from starvation,right?
They feed starving pets with whatever is edible. Probably same will happen with wounded grazing dwarves.
Guess even if dwarves won't be able to acquire 'getting something to eat' job by themselves they'd still get job to feed someone hungry and thus feed one another with normal food.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 01:02:37 pm »

The question is: How to make a race feed only by grazing? Specific_food and add all grass types, but nothing else? Would be fun for an Antmen civ. Underground caverns feed them automatically, and a few specific fungi can be used for normal food, but otherwise you have to stick to the caverns. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 01:17:14 pm »

The question is: How to make a race feed only by grazing? Specific_food and add all grass types, but nothing else? Would be fun for an Antmen civ. Underground caverns feed them automatically, and a few specific fungi can be used for normal food, but otherwise you have to stick to the caverns. :)
You could just irrigate everything you mine out. Would have to remain diligent about trees growing and walling off your antmen who then die of thirst, but if you pay attention and avoid small bottlenecks it should be fine.

So like early on maybe hang out in the caverns or the surface, until you can build a pump stack to lift water up as high as you want to build your fortress, dig out the area, then evacuate everyone and fully flood it, then drain back to the original water source, and move in!

Design doors and such in a way that makes the finished parts of the fort able to reflood again later without scattering everything, and periodically evacuate and re-flood when you dig out new areas.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »

Yep, or simply live in the soil layers. :)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 04:16:24 pm »

You could also make everybody part of no-uniform military squads, which are set to defend burrows 1 out of every 6 months, where the burrow is a big grass field, in an overlapping (and redundantly-jobbed) fashion,to force each dwarf to be in an edible grassy area twice a year.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 07:36:37 pm »

I thought there was a bug in Worldgen that caused carnivore civs to go extinct, and that goblins had a hardcoded exception? Carnivore should work if added post-gen of course.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 02:26:33 pm »

I just now made dwarves carnivores and genned a world with no issue.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 05:30:50 pm »

I thought there was a bug in Worldgen that caused carnivore civs to go extinct, and that goblins had a hardcoded exception? Carnivore should work if added post-gen of course.
I can't find where Toady said it right now, but I'm pretty sure the carnivore problem has been resolved. Goblins were never a "hardcoded exception" - they simply don't need to eat. Also, ever since 0.34.04, historical figures don't starve in worldgen anymore.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: [1] 2