Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Math is too hard.  (Read 651 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Math is too hard.
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:38:10 am »

More of a sort of venting than actual advice question :<

As I write this, I am taking a break from excessively difficult math problems that seem to exist juat to push the limits of mathematical puzzle-solving. In my short 1 year stay in the US, these types of problems don't exist in a typical school setting. But here is where they all go to live, and it's driving me crazy. Most problems hinge on finding a crucial hint that is hidden amongst the details and then using a weird method to follow that to the answer. To me, the finding of the crucial hint is too hard. :/ It never feels like I can improve myself because the harder problems are usually like that. And my school is one of the most competitive public high schools in Korea, which means the hardest problems occassional appear on te math tests. Because grading is relative, those who do manage to get the problems right get As (1 or 2) while I have to struggle to not go below a 4 (B, top 40%). It hugely stresses me and sometimes I imagine how better I would feel if I just stopped trying, even though that would ruin my chances of going to a good foreign university. =_=

Uhh.. guess that's it. I probably have more to say but I can't think of it right now. I could totes provide example problems If you wish.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Math is too hard.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:54 am »

Aren't South-Korean universities ranked quite high internationally?

Also, if you're talking about math word problems then I agree with you. Those things are horrible :P
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:40:57 am »

Are them the type of problems where you have to think outside the box, but the box is a maze worthy of a minotaur?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:04:42 am »

Aren't South-Korean universities ranked quite high internationally?

Also, if you're talking about math word problems then I agree with you. Those things are horrible :P
Not really. The highest one is maybe in the 50s? :/

Are them the type of problems where you have to think outside the box, but the box is a maze worthy of a minotaur?

Here's a few problems I posted to another topic

Define Fn(x) = Integrate for dx: (x3n-1)/(x2+x+1)

Fn(1) = 1/(3n-1) - 1/(3n-2) + 1/(3n-4) - 1/(3n-5) + ... + 1/2 - 1

Represent Fn(0) in terms of n.
f(x) is a differentiable function with the domain 0 <x <pi/2.
For all valid x, f'(x) = cos^2 (f (x)), and f(1)=pi/4. if g (x) is the inverse function of f (x), find g(pi/3) * g'(pi/3).

Assume f'(x) means 'the first order differential of f(x)'.

Note that calculators are not allowed, and that for the picture, originally there was no graph in the problem.

I don't know about you, but those sure are hard to me :<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:10:41 am »

They look tedious but not that hard to me :<
Then again I got a medal on math olympics so I'm an outlier.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:15:30 am »

Yeah, they don't look that horrible. My Achilles Heel are the bloody word problems. For things like that I just suggest you to take a math book, learn the theory and different ways of solving them and just start solving.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:22:22 am »

Those don't seem to hard. Fair bit of numbers crunching, especially without calculator, but they seem rather obvious.

Is it possible you are putting to much focus in recognizing patterns in the given information and looking for a matching methodology to use? In my opinion the most logical way to solving such problems is to start with the answer to arrive to and work your way down from there. I would for example always read the latter part of the question for what is asked first, then read the given information.