Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McHermit's options  (Read 1694 times)

Zemurin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Urist McHermit's options
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:08 am »

I've been trying to play a hermit challenge, but I ran into same issues as everyone. All I'm trying is to play on a regular world, with a non-extinct dwarven civilization that I can trade with (among others), but without immigrants as I spend 75% free time between migrations DASing them and engraving the slabs, and that's just not very.. efficient.

Option 1: Brutally murder everyone immediately as they arrive, my popcap 0 gets ignored at next liason and I keep getting migrants all the time. Not fun.
Option 2: Keep initial set + 2 hardcoded waves, wait til liason leaves, then murder everyone. Peace and quiet for a year until next autumn when liason returns and afterwards reports I am again "underpopulated" ... and start the cycle again.
Option 2b: Never again meet with the diplomat but then I can't perform diplomacy and request 40 steel anvils.
Option 3: Embark on an island. Cool, but no dwarven or any other trade, so little market for my Urist McHermit's adamantine toy hammers.
Option 4: Edit out active season autumn, but again I lose diplomacy and dwarven trade.
Option 5: Run stopmigrants.lua script that deletes the event from upcoming queue, but forget to run this every season and sheesh inefficiency and back to falling wooden bridges again.
Option 6: Age 1 dwarves so they autoextinct on world creation, restore setting and ... again, no dwarves to trade with.
Option 7: Generate worlds until in one of them a dwarven civilization goes dead, but others remain... then pick that one and ... what happens in this scenario? Do I still trade with other dwarven civs? Do migrants still arrive? Dwarves as a race are not dead by my civ is - I doubt I'll have the pleasure of setting trade agreements if I don't have a mountainhome. Though a simple trade would suffice as long as the buggers don't keep coming.

Please help me out here. All I want is a proper dwarven reasonable request that due to my mood I be left alone, and free to conduct my business without the fodder interfering. Thanx. :)

EDIT: OOps I posted this in adventurer instead of fortress mode board. Sorry.. :(

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McHermit's options
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 10:38:26 pm »

One time with a modded civ I had it so that there would only be one in each world and also tried a 1,050 year worldgen causing them to be completely destroyed and possibly even extinct though I'm not sure.Anyway I was able to start a fortress as them and migrants arrived. Too many migrants arrived. Far, far too many migrants arrived. I even got caravans. So that would answer option 7. As for an actual answer I think just stopmigrants.lua seems fine.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 02:04:26 am »

with a dead civilization I believe you get two migrant waves but that's it.  and of course no trade/liason.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:41:13 am »

Oh you could grab dfhack and get your self advfort which allows you to build and live as a hermit(you might want to set a place as a site and lair for the bonus of leaving stuff around while you sleep.), or go the even more complicated route of setting up a site and switching over from adventure mode to fort mode with it doing so will net you no migrants as you're not affiliated with any civ.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 05:46:51 am »

As far as i understand it, fort mode has a hard-coded minimum population of four (two couples, theoretically enough to re-populate); i haven't tried it myself, but others say that's the lowest population cap that will be respected. If you have _any_ contact with your own civilisation and don't fulfill that quota, they'll send migrants, no way around it. The only way would be to cut connections with your home civ: wall yourself in so the caravan and liaison can't reach you; or, better, remove the ACTIVE_SEASON tag from the "mountain" entity.

In the end, you'll have to go the DFHack route or re-evaluate your concept; a true hermit with functioning trade with the home civ is simply not an option in the game as it stands.

Zemurin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 07:14:26 am »

Having reconsidered my options and having decided on a backstory (The mad dwarven king that managed to get exiled) I decided the cleanest method is to cut ties with mountainhomes entirely and simply edit out autumn season.

It started well (one pick, nothing else), killed the arrivals, started my own industry, and then somehow my only two picks got stolen by kobolds while I had zero wood to burn to forge more. C'est la vie. I could have waited for a foreign caravan to buy some but I got so furious I abandoned it. Looking forward to round 2. :)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 05:26:55 pm »

You could lock the other six and the first waves of migrants into a small underground bunker and basically just make a mini self sufficient fortress while you go about with your one person.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 03:20:50 am »

Dig out an underground area, leave some picks in it, build a few craftdwarf workshops inside it, seal it off with floodgates. Put the floodgate levers inside the hermit's area. When immigrants arrive, open the gates, order them inside, have them dig out some rocks, make slabs, leave them to die. Next wave comes, you order them inside to engrave slabs for the now dead previous immigrants, dig out some rocks, and then you leave them to die. You can turn off pausing announcements if you think it's a bother that the game pauses whenever a dwarf goes mad.
Have you asked a mod to move the thread?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:24:15 am by coldmonkey »
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Zemurin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 02:46:06 am »

Dig out an underground area, leave some picks in it, build a few craftdwarf workshops inside it, seal it off with floodgates. Put the floodgate levers inside the hermit's area. When immigrants arrive, open the gates, order them inside, have them dig out some rocks, make slabs, leave them to die. Next wave comes, you order them inside to engrave slabs for the now dead previous immigrants, dig out some rocks, and then you leave them to die. You can turn off pausing announcements if you think it's a bother that the game pauses whenever a dwarf goes mad.
Have you asked a mod to move the thread?

This is a perfectly fine method of dealing with them while not wasting my McHermit's time on corpse disposal, however the whole point was not to waste my time micromanaging the ever expanding graveyard that serves no purpose to the challenge selected.

I'm wondering - the migrants stop coming eventually, after enough of the migrants die. Does anyone know when this might be and does it apply for ultra-low populations that otherwise ignore popcap?

Thanx!

P.S. Oh and I finally got the topic moved. :)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 04:13:16 am »

Caravan may have effect on migration. My current fort doesn't attract migrants for a season. The last automn the whole dwarven caravan were killed by goblin ambushers. But none of the citizens in the fort died. Maybe you can attack the caravan with spike and entomb the guard. Hopefully migrants won't show up.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 05:52:11 am »

could you lock a few vamps in a cell to keep you over minimum pop