Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [SUCCUBUS] - Development & ideas  (Read 10962 times)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
[SUCCUBUS] - Development & ideas
« on: April 24, 2014, 02:14:59 pm »

Hi there, after completing the last patch for my vanilla mod, it is time to give the succubi the long requested integration into mdwf. The mod is developed one feature at time following a roadmap that will be soon expanded. This thread is to provides news of development as well as collecting ideas.

This mod provides a gameplay with less micromanagement, closer to the vanilla dwarves, while still using the features that mwdf can offer. Additive elements will encourage to explore new strategies towards the problems that DF throws at you.

You can find an alpha patch in this archive.

The mod
- An evil race split into 2 civs.
- Both civs can summon a set of creatures. Those will fill various important roles.
- They are mostly female. (1 incubus for 9 succubus)
- Caged prisoners can be converted towards your civ.
- Less armor than other races. A set of mail and plate parts will protect the whole body, but not in multiple layers. This is offset by the massive speed and damage an elite succubus can deal.
- The succubi are weak to interactions that hurt demons. But will enjoy what usually kill other races. Embarking on evil biomes will be a good idea.
- Good industries includes gem, glass, leather… and eventually flesh.
- Average mechanic knowledge allow drawbridges and traps but nothing advanced.
- Metal access is barely better then humans. No steelmaking, best metals are not obtained through mining.
- Less reactions means less resource efficient jobs (and a faster manager menu).
- It is harder to get a tantrums, but when you get one, it is epic.

‘Royalist’ succubi
- Likes found the surface world better than slavery in the abyss and wish to expand there. Uses mix of above ground and underground features.
- They value arts and fine crafts above anything. (what a succubus define as art and craft however...)
- Can be upgraded with flight or magma immunity.
- They have plenty of wrath, lust and fire interactions.
- Inspired by classic fantasy demons.

Deep succubi
- Underground cults who believe that the world is doomed. The royalist succubi hunts them to protect their budding empire.
- No migrants after the first two waves.
- Interactions includes necrosis, madness or strange reality breakdown.
- Inspired by the Lovecraftian mythology.

Note : Both civs will be merged in a later update.

Available workshops
- Summoning circle: Provides various pets
- Den of iniquity/Torture chambers: Convert prisoners to your cause, deep succubi also transform them into half breeds who join as citizens.
- Temples: Provides upgrades and interactions, hurt invaders, or run effects on the fort.
- Floating glass furnace (magma): Mass product glass windows and blocks.
- Well of souls: Produces souls from nearby corpses, trap souls into gems.
- Soul forge: Create special ranged weapons and explosive ammo.

Planned workshops:
- Masterwork craft shops
- Fleshshaper: Creates bone/flesh blocks and crafts, combine leather into upgraded versions.
- Music stands and steam baths: Produces good thoughts
- Writing/poem/music industry.
- Attorney office: The other end of the warlocks devil deals. Can request knowledge, souls or special items in exchange of specific items.

Other features/ideas
- Warstone and mining hazards : Warpstone will provide a positive effect. I am undecided about black lungs and stuff. For now it is deadly.
- Several creatures must be renamed to fit with the existing HFS creatures.
- Their sieges has to be expanded, they should summon creatures and throw interactions when attacking you.
- The mod employs dfhack scripts with no moderation.
- I have to find an illustration matching the MWDF badges too. :P
- There will be combat hardness and cave adaptation additions, I do not know what will happen yet.
- Most changes done here will be retrofitted into vanilla df.
- I have a good list of creatures to summon and temple interactions that will be added over time.

First things first, I have a few scripts left to add to the v6 series of the mod as well as possible bugs to fix. I am always open for suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:26:27 pm by Boltgun »

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile
Re: [SUCCUBUS] Development & ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:57:53 pm »

I approve of this in a million ways :D

EDIT: Also are the undead friendly to them like with the warlocks?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:16:43 pm by Jaso11111 »

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:35:53 pm »

Just posting for support for now, I shall attempt to play a Succubus fort once my Prayer based nanofort collapses.

Blazebase

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 06:54:24 pm »

Now this is a good looking mod that you have going on over here, but I only have one question that I am just dying for to truly experience this mod for when it makes it's debut.

The invader conversion script, I remember warlock fortress has this script as well for converting things to ghouls, but it went horribly awry seeing how there was a bug with the civilizations that the invader still held it's allegiances to. Needless to say, newly converted races like Dwarfs still were still members of the civilization that my people were with a war with, an insta-loyalty cascade.

I addressed it at one point but I am not sure if it got resolved or not. I'm assuming the latter.

If you are aware of this and this has been fixed for this release then just disregard all that was previously said, besides that it's a nice lookin' mod you got there, can't wait to start the evil sisterhood with fang and claw! (They do have fangs right...?)
Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure.  ~Author Unknown

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 06:56:44 pm »

Now this is a good looking mod that you have going on over here, but I only have one question that I am just dying for to truly experience this mod for when it makes it's debut.

The invader conversion script, I remember warlock fortress has this script as well for converting things to ghouls, but it went horribly awry seeing how there was a bug with the civilizations that the invader still held it's allegiances to. Needless to say, newly converted races like Dwarfs still were still members of the civilization that my people were with a war with, an insta-loyalty cascade.

I addressed it at one point but I am not sure if it got resolved or not. I'm assuming the latter.

If you are aware of this and this has been fixed for this release then just disregard all that was previously said, besides that it's a nice lookin' mod you got there, can't wait to start the evil sisterhood with fang and claw! (They do have fangs right...?)

I believe he addressed it towards the end of the other thread saying that he had. Page 21?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:16:16 pm »

PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:48:52 pm »

After applying the patch and making a fort, things seem to work sorta, although the workshop and furnace menus seem quite anemic. However, once I built the torture chamber, I found that I couldn't convert any of the many elves I force sieged in.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 01:04:26 am »

Tank you for the support.  :D

For the questions :
Undeads are hostile to them. The deep succubi has a reaction to put them down, something similar has to be added to the surface ones.

The bug that caused invaders to remain hostile once converted has been fixed, the updated scripts are in the patch.

However I need to look at it as MW races will surely not work. Regular dwarves and humans should be able to join the fort and Elves must match the vanilla ones. In a more general way, I need to make the script future proof by accepting any intelligent beings that are not megabeasts. This should be the biggest task here.

The same issue will probably happen with the 'Provoke a siege' job. The script must be updated to seek hostile civs instead of relying on a premade list.

There is much to do with workshops and furnaces indeed. Adding the MWDF craft shops will be the first thing to do.

However the reaction list for those will not be as complete as other races. I do not plan to add the micromanagement that dwarves allows to, ie. no still with one brew command per plant. This is mainly to keep the manager menu fast as I found queuing jobs with dwarves quite difficult.

Edit: The clock is ticking, I'll try to have v7 ready before DF2014 is released. I know I'll have a lot to do when that will happen.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:37:38 am by Boltgun »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 08:26:32 am »

Boltgun, you will have a crazy amount of patching to do, if you want the mdf features affect the succubi differently. Rhis means altering existing mod raws, which means two thing:

1. You will go slightly mad because they are in no order and dont follow any naming scheme.
2. We have to work rather closely together, as both of us must be aware of changes.

Propositions:
Every time you change something in an already existing file, add "by boltgun" next to it, so I can easily were it is and who made the change.
Check the inorganics and interactiob for prisoner conversion of the Warlocks, they have all fitting code to convert all Mdf races.
I will make you a Mdf style succubus logo, and convert the manual into a similat style as the other races, if you want.
Adding them to the launcher should be easy, because you can drop everything into the Raws and just leave the entity file changed. Its the only file the Gui changes to add/remove races. Chech the top of the gnome entity file for the best example.

Notes:
I have added a few thing from your mod in the past (when working on Warlocks, as you know) and we should clear out duplicates quickly.

Of course I fully support this project and will try to make it as easy for you as possible. Mdf will not be updated to Df2014 for several months btw, simply because I have to wait for all the utilities like DT and Dfhack to be updated. So there might be more time as you might think.

I will be in Lisbon in a hostel for at least 3 days, so I will be easy to reach in that time. PM me whenever you like. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 02:08:11 am »

Reading the raw is a little crazy indeed. There is no sense of naming, indent of line endings.  :P

But i had no problem so far using grep to search through the files so far. This is how I started importing warlock stuff to prevent further duplicates. I'll mark any change I'll do in the raw to make it easier to track.

I'll add a flag (YESRACE) at the top of the entity file like we can read in the other files to make it work with the launcher.

For the manual, I'll have no issues editing the html, having a clean template will save me time for sure.

Edit : Converting elves should work, I'll make a testing fort for that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:44:27 am by Boltgun »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 03:25:15 am »

Splinterz would have to update the launcher, uts not just tags. Would it be ok if you work with this drag & drop version, and in one month from now when I am back in Germany the first thing would be to add the Succubi officially?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 04:58:40 am »

PTW

Sounds great and I'm looking forward to it!

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 06:32:10 am »

Reading the raw is a little crazy indeed. There is no sense of naming, indent of line endings.  :P

Medit might help with that second one assuming you are indeed on linux.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 10:33:16 am »

Notepad++ is what I use, thats why a few files have a different formatting.

What are your plans for future features?

Planned workshops:
- Masterwork craft shops
- Fleshshaper: Creates bone/flesh blocks and crafts, combine leather into upgraded versions.
- Attorney office: The other end of the warlocks devil deals. Can request knowledge, souls or special items in exchange of specific items.

Other features/ideas
- Warstone and mining hazards : Warpstone will provide a positive effect. I am undecided about black lungs and stuff. For now it is deadly.
- Their sieges has to be expanded, they should summon creatures and throw interactions when attacking you.
- There will be combat hardness and cave adaptation additions, I do not know what will happen yet.
- I have a good list of creatures to summon and temple interactions that will be added over time.

Which of those is the next project? Fleshshaper for example could easily copy reactions from boneforge (warlock) and tanner (dwarves)... and how do you want to handle the two different soul-systems that we use? Itemcorpses and Transformation on your end, while I currently use ebo-items.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:35:21 am by Meph »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 01:32:46 am »

Medit might help with that second one assuming you are indeed on linux.

Sublime text is working well with it's dfraw plugin.

Notepad++ is what I use, thats why a few files have a different formatting.

What are your plans for future features?

Planned workshops:
- Masterwork craft shops

Other features/ideas

Which of those is the next project? Fleshshaper for example could easily copy reactions from boneforge (warlock) and tanner (dwarves)... and how do you want to handle the two different soul-systems that we use? Itemcorpses and Transformation on your end, while I currently use ebo-items.

For the two soul systems, I'll plan to to provide it to civs that does not butcher intelligent creatures. That way we can keep EBO and the transformation reaction will fill the gap.

The plan is to add first the workshops MWDF already have: boneforge, glassforge, tanner, etc. The next project is to provide the flesh shaper for new stuff that does not exist yet, and perhaps creating a new leather type by merging lesser one. I'll need to figure a new weapon material as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5