Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: The Markov Dynasty of Neu-Triest (0/4 Spaces Open)  (Read 1663 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Hello and welcome to this Rogue Trader Game. if you are here to read you are welcome, if you are here to play and haven't already a spot i am sorry but we are already full.

The Introduction

The Markov Dynasty was once the most well-known Rogue Trader Family in the Neu-Triest Sector and contributed to the establishment of many Colonies in the Area. A Steady and steadfast friend of the Imperial Navy the Markovs rose to power over the millenia. However a string of misfortunes in recent family history led to the death of the most of the family. Fleets lost, Holdings sold, Fortunes squandered the Markovs floundered. Finally there were only the Youngest Markov Brothers Left. The Elder Brother Gideon vanished together with the Jotun in the warp and left his Brother Lazarus with nothing but the palaces on Neu-Triest, the mines on Rapax and the Shares on the Penal colony of Fitztums Weg. Assets, all of which were liquified, all favours were called in, all friends asked to help, all of this for the last hope of the Markov Dynasty: The Unending Vigil. An Avenger-Class Grand Cruiser this truly magnificent ship contained all what remained of the Markov Dynasty, Lazarus Markov, last Child of the Markov Dynasty.

The Neu-Triest Sector

Situated in the Segmentum Ultima on the Eastern Border of the Empire, the Neu-Triest Sector borders directly to Tau Space. It is a relatively young Sector being established in the 37th Millenium. Since then 3 Major Worlds have established themselves: Neu-Triest, the Sector Fleet Headquarter, a Hiveworld with a population of barely 20 billion souls also the Seat of the Markov Dynasty. Furthermore Fornax and Jolis the Two Major Industrial Worlds of the Sector.

However things changed as the Freebootas under Wattak Skullsqueezer conquered the Northern part of the Sector in an event called "Jolis Raid". During the events of the major fleet engagements above Rapax, Fort Absolom and Tsua'm'an, the Orks were mostly repelled. However threatened by the COnquest of Fort Absolom both Fornax and Jolis declared independence from the Empire and Joined the Tau. Rapax stayed loyal however has since been a major Battlefield with the Orkish Pirates.

In M42, Operation Sturmfalke, organized by the local Imperial Military was an attempt to recapture Jolis. The Invasion so far has turned into a Bloody Stalemate and Reports of Ork Raid-Ships in the sector haven't made things much better.

The situation on Fornax is still stable and trade between imperials and tau-loyalists is still ongoing. Especially the Cold Trade is flourishing there...

The Players

Rogue Trader Lazarus Markov
played by Azthor
Last son of the Markov Dynasty

Missionary Markus Greymoore
played by Adwarf
A Member of the Ministorum from the Imperial West

Explorator Mikelos Caerys
played by Shootandrun
A mutated Tech-Priest who has witnessed things which should not be witnessed

Arch-Militant Harken
played by Ardas
A Former Slave Pit Fighter from Fitztums Weg, now in the employ of the Markov Dynasty

It is a sunny day as you all meet at the last owned apartment in a spiredome which one entirely belonged to the Markovs. Apart from the Unending Vigil this huge loft is the last Asset of your Dynasty. A testament to your brothers follies. As it is you soon have to recover what is lost. Your brother left with the last liquid remains and the Jotun into the Depths of Space, following a business scheme in which he wanted to import exotic beasts from the Calixis Sector to the Segmentum Ultima and sell them to interested Collectors. Everything went well til he left for Fornax. Somewhere on the way he got lost...

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: The Markov Dynasty of Neu-Triest (0/4 Spaces Open)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:26:22 pm »

PTW

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 03:02:18 am »

Harken quietly waited in the corridor to the meeting chamber. He was in the halls of lords few times, he knew this place, but it wasn't his kind of place. the scarred warrior observed the hive below through one of the giant windows, shooting up right into the ceiling.
He wished he could dip back below, have a few drinks and maybe do something that didn't involve the lawmen breathing down his neck. But this was a path og life for him, this meeting. His big boss, Lazarus Markov wanted to see him before they set off in whatever direction the lordling saw fit. Harken didn't mind, as long as he could stretch his muscles a bit. Serving as a glorified bodyguard to more or less important scribes of the dynasty was below him.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 04:25:26 am »

I am sorry but we are already full.
was there an OOC thread that we missed?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 01:02:18 pm »

nah this was done completely via IRC. maybe later on there will be open spaces but i can promise nothing.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:45:12 pm »

Markus sighed as he made his way to the meeting chamber, he was rather lightly adorned today wearing his robes, the aquilla pendant, and his lineage's ancestral seal about his neck with the mostly plain hilt of his chainsword sticking up from over his shoulder. He had only been part of the Markov's Rogue Trader Dynasty for a few years and already so many of them had died, it bewildered him that such a toll could be taken on such a valuable asset to the Emperor and the true Imperium that should be forged.

Now it was up to him to guide Lazarus towards a path worthy of such a servant of the Emperor, and towards the path that would forge the righteous Imperium that was needed to survive these dark times for even the God Emperor himself could not shield mankind from the horrors at large.As he reached the entrance to the meeting chamber he found Harken outside, stopping not far from him he spoke up,

"Ah, Harken its good to see you here, I see Mikelos is a tad late for what is surely to be a grand day indeed since I do believe Lazarus deems to tell us his plans for restoring the dynasty this day. What do you think he might have in store?"

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 05:52:32 pm »

The door leading to the hallway opened once more, and a giant of a man stepped inside. Standing at height feet tall and possessing shoulders to match his height, he made for an impressive figure - but the red robes he wore belied the thuggish look he might have had otherwise. Stepping surprisingly softly for one of his stature, he quietly made his way to stand opposite to Harken by the door, going past the missionary along the way. There, he said a few words in a soft voice - almost a whisper.

"The meeting has not begun - therefore, I am not late. You arrived before me, yet we shall both start at the same time - therefore, my arrival is more efficient from a scheduling standpoint. All things are taken into account, Markus."

There was a soft undertone of humor in Mykelos' voice, a rare thing to be found amongst priests of the Mechanicus - he was rather expressive when it came to speaking, compared to some of his peers. He did not, however, make any more idle chatter while he waited. Speculation was a waste of his time.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 05:53:01 pm »

Lazarus has his back turned against the room, facing the city from a large balcony; his station weighed heavily upon him, the last member and now de facto head of the once proud Markov dynasty, forged in the very fires of Sainthood before the God Emperor, now reduced to a single warship and a residential complex, grand a ship as it may be.

Nevertheless, something had to be done about the family's dwindling fortune, and it fell up to him to contend with one such a solution. With one such a military vessel as his only asset, and contacts among the Battlefleet, military engagement would, of course, be the most sensible course of action, if also the riskiest one.

Noticing the arrivals, he starts, without turning around "I see you are all here; as you well know, my brother and former family head has disappeared into the void for all we know, a regrettable event, though one that places me at the head of the family. Not that there is much left... Other than that, of course" he says, referring to the grand cruiser.

He turns back, slowly walking towards the center of the room "That asset is, thus, our only strength, and one we must seek to employ for the sake of His Empire; what better way to accomplish that than lend the Battlefleet a hand, I ask? Let us break the stalemate at Jolis, and as the Warrant mandates, liberate the planet for the Markov dynasty; surely, after the treacherous heathen at the helm of the planet is dealt with, a new governor, one of less shifting loyalties and truer faith, shall have to be arranged for".

"What is your take on it, loyal servants of the Empire?" he concludes, stopping besides his desk.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 06:10:19 pm »

Mykelos listened attentively to Lazarus speak, and he started pacing through the room when the Rogue Trader was done. He did not have much interest in regional politics, although he did know what Jolis was, and to whom it belonged. After some mental deliberation, he turned to face his employer, making as small bow as he went.

"Retaking Jolis could make for a profitable endeavor," he said carefully, starting to wring his hands together, "But a Rogue Trader profits the most from going where others will not step. To anger the Tau so early in this business venture could close... Many doors, in the future.

Of course, there are ways to avoid associating our name with the enemies of the Tau, but..."
He paused, taking a small smile under his hood. "Well, there are not that many Grand Cruisers operating alone in this sector."

The skin of his hands proved to be very pale, as that of his face whenever light made it past his hood. This was not a man who often enjoyed the light of the sun.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 03:32:07 pm »

Harken shrugged, hearing Markus.

"I'm not one to look into other people's motives too much. Predicting only works in combat, when there's no time to change one's mind and the instinct speaks true more often than not."

The arrival of the techpriest was a sign that something bigger was brewing. Efficient reply from an efficient man, Harken wondered how well would a bulky stature like his fare in Combat. But size could be deceiving, second-guessing could be deadly now.

The boss finally arrived, giving them a formal speech. Harken didn't like high ceremony, except when he had to attend the chapel. But he had an inkling of what he said.

"If you want my word on it, I'd wager going in and taking a piece of the action might be worthwhile, xenos be damned," he reasoned. "I'm no trader and I won't suggest shipping but we have an opportunity to make rich while doing what I can do best and I assume none of you do worse."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 03:46:28 pm »

Markus listened to both Harken, and Mykelos give their opinions on the matter before he chose to reply to Lazarus, when he finally spoke he went to his usual tick, drumming his fingers on the table next to him. Clearing his throat he spoke up,

"I must agree with Harken for the most part here, there is a large profit to be earned here that would further your Dynasty, perhaps breath new life into its now crippled form. Of course even if we embark on this endeavor we might well still be able to strike deals with the Tau should the need arise, they are not as quick to anger as some make them out to be, but truly as deadly as the tales say. In the end the decision lies with you Lazarus, you are the Rogue Trader after all, your word is law so long as you stay within the bounds of your Charter  which as I understand is fairly lenient ..."
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:20:07 pm by adwarf »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 04:08:44 am »

The silence in the room is broken by somebody falling down the neighbouring Hive Spire, his screams can even be heard through the thick audio-dampening glass of Markov's Loft.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 10:23:12 pm »

Markov halts in his deliberation, silently motioning for Harken to alert the spire's security "This Trade dynasty was founded by the Emperor's grace, and we shall not dishonor it by working with the enemies of His Empire".

He slowly draws away from the window, towards the center of the room "Those imperial citizens at Jolis have, by consorting with the xenos, disgraced themselves before the Imperium of Mankind. They have betrayed humanity so that they might work for its enemies".

"A Trade Warrant thrives by profit, but it can only do so because the retreat that is the Imperial  border can be assured in the first place, for were it not so, little of humanity could hope to survive. If taking Jolis by the sword shall accomplish both, I see no better reason to intervene, nor should any be necessary".