Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ambushes appear in bizzare spots  (Read 1920 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: ambushes appear in bizzare spots
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 02:00:32 pm »

Impassable tiles between the spawn point and the edge of the map doesn't matter, though, for preventing it.

I doubt that. From my experience, all units spawned for a siege must be able to path to each other; separating the map into unconnected sections means that the entire siege will spawn inside a single section. (Of course, this means that if they choose to spawn in an isolated location, they will *all* spawn there.) But, more to the point, no creature will spawn *in* an impassible tile. This works with map edges as well, though they are significantly harder to make impassible (casting obsidian, or building raising bridges work). For tiles in the middle of the map, you can simply build a solid block of walls, or possibly just channel out the floor to prevent creatures from appearing there.
It's just a bit odd to explain to the new migrants.

"And why is there a great big hole in the hallway here?"
"There's a tiny little crack in reality there, and occasionally goblins leak through it from the Other Side.  Now they appear and immediately fall onto spear traps ten levels below soaking in a bit of magma."
"At first I thought this hole was ugly, but I'm beginning to like it."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: ambushes appear in bizzare spots
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 03:36:39 pm »

Impassable tiles between the spawn point and the edge of the map doesn't matter, though, for preventing it.

I doubt that. From my experience, all units spawned for a siege must be able to path to each other; separating the map into unconnected sections means that the entire siege will spawn inside a single section. (Of course, this means that if they choose to spawn in an isolated location, they will *all* spawn there.) But, more to the point, no creature will spawn *in* an impassible tile. This works with map edges as well, though they are significantly harder to make impassible (casting obsidian, or building raising bridges work). For tiles in the middle of the map, you can simply build a solid block of walls, or possibly just channel out the floor to prevent creatures from appearing there.
My memory isn't always the greatest, but I'm 98% sure I've had a siege spawn such that part of it was inside my cheaty bridged-over caravan entrance and some of it was not. That's why I started putting a u-bend in the wagon path, with a shorter trapped route for gobbos.
Pages: 1 [2]