Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator  (Read 45764 times)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator
« on: April 26, 2014, 02:34:53 pm »

This just came out, and I though I would share it with you guys seeing as it is similar to DF:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202304

Sub Commander is a free, independently developed roguelike submarine simulator with an emphasis on realism and freedom of choice. Originally, the game was envisioned to be a kind of cross between Dwarf Fortress and the film K-19 The Widowmaker but it is rapidly growing to a full featured submarine warfare simulator. Eventually I plan to simulate all aspects of cold war era naval and aerial combat, so the player's submarine will be in the midst of a dynamic, procedurally generated global war.

One of the main focuses of the game is dealing with accidents and emergencies aboard the submarine. Nuclear submarines are hugely complicated pieces of equipment and there's a lot which can go wrong - fires, flooding, radiation leaks, lack of oxygen etc are all accurately simulated. Careful management of the crew and the submarine's automated systems is essential to conquer these threats and complete your mission successfully. In some ways, it's like a much more complex version of Faster Than Light aboard a submarine (without the fancy graphics unfortunately!)

While the simulation of the onboard systems is highly detailed, I have tried to ensure the game is accessible to almost anyone and the learning curve is not too steep. The graphics are very basic but I try to keep them clean and functional - but I admit great graphics were never a priority for this game.

Key features:
- 28 nations represented in game, 20 of which are playable
- AI controlled navies consisting of 15 classes of surface ships, all with historically accurate armaments
- Huge in game map covering the entire globe, with more than 50 cities (uses high-res NOAA sea depth data)
- Realistic physics-based modelling of fire, fluid dynamics and radiation aboard the sub
- Extremely detailed submarine with accurate models of all important systems

Sub Commander is under active development, with new updates released anywhere from once a week to once every couple of months. Any feedback, suggestions or bug reports are greatly appreciated!

Screenshots (v0.20):
Nuclear reactor management

Navigation

Activating fire supression system

I've played a few games, and it gets incredibly hectic very fast if you screw up. What do you guys think of it?
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 05:21:40 pm »

This looks very interesting, I'll try it soon. Thanks for letting me know.  :)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 05:51:04 pm »

Are there different kinds of Subs? I want me a Virginia-Class!
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 06:08:05 pm »

Are there different kinds of Subs? I want me a Virginia-Class!

So far, just one. He may add more in future updates.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:24:00 pm by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 06:30:16 pm »

Wow, that's just amazing, i gave a quick try and it's really good, the keys aren't really RL standard so it takes some time to get used to them, but fortunately as the keys are reminded in the screen it's not too hard to get it running.

My first try was a disaster, as soon as i left the port i got 2 ships incoming, managed to destroy them easily with 2 torpedoes , i just hope they weren't friendly but i have some doubt considering it's the starting port  ;D (the AI does not try to evade the torpedoes or launch countermeasures) then i used the map and tried to set a course toward red zones, i then went to periscope depth and lowered my speed a notch (in case the detection simulation is in the game) but while i was looking around my sub, fire started in the engine room for some reason ? but i managed to get it under control with the crew reacting to my order,

Then a ... "boom" while i was looking at a panel, and noticed the hull was breached in the engine room !
I ordered immediate repairs while the water was going up (poor guys stuck in the room trying to repair while slowly drowning, as the bulkhead doors were closed)
To my surprise they managed to repair before drowning, while i had activated the bilge pump to get the water under control.

Then looked at the external map and ... an enemy warship was basically dancing around my ship, i wish my crew could at least warn me when they detect an enemy instead of waiting for it to come very close and start to attack.
Well, i guess that's the part in which the subsim get 2nd place in front of the RL or i just missed ordering the radar guys to do their job .

Managed to destroy it (as fortunately it wasn't even trying to evade my fish) but looking back at my sub , the whole periscope room was under some bizarre static noise (i thought it was fire, but there wasn't any mention of it under my cursor), the crew had just ran out of there

I sent some crew for damage assessment in that room as none of the items were damaged, and they just died after a dozen of seconds ?
I really need to read the readme.

After that the reactor started leaking radiation, and took fire.

Oh well, so much for a 1st run :D

I'll have to read the readme to figure out what had really been going on regarding the no warning of the presence of that warship or how to deal with the "static" thing that i couldn't find how to repair, or even how to help cooling down the reactor as the items in the reactor room didn't seem to react to Enter when i was moving the cursor on them.

Overall this game is a pleasant surprise to me, i'm a fan of old classic subsims and i'm impressed how this can work well with RL elements, definitively going to be a favorite of mine , i loved that first contact.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:35:44 pm by Robsoie »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 06:56:59 pm »

Wow this looks fun.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 08:11:46 pm »

Oh God what am I doing, I am not good at unterseeboot.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:44:14 pm »

roguelike doesn't have to mean obtuse UI.  Other than that, it's pretty interesting.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 09:55:39 pm »

Heh, this is interesting. My last sub had a mission to travel to Manilla. I made it into the Pacific, and then I started experiencing a problem with Reactor #2's coolant pump. No problem, I thought, so I equipped a dude with a gas mask and radiation suit and sent him in to fix it. All of a sudden there was a fire in the engine room (enemy attack? I have no idea). The whole crew was sent in to fight it, and succeeded in putting it out, except the fire used up all the oxygen on board the sub and everyone suffocated before I could figure out how to open the vents.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 11:08:59 pm »

Is there any way to pause time to think for a split second?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 11:38:29 pm »

You can hit escape, but that'll take you to the title screen. Being able to issue orders while paused would be a nice addition.

Also, dang, reactors are hard to repair. Even fully protected, the crew can't stand near a leaky one for more than a few seconds.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 12:29:04 am »

If you're anywhere safe, surface, purge the air system and open the vents for the reactor room. That should keep the rads down and allow for a fully protected member to repair with minimal exposure. If you're in danger... well... yeah.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 03:36:21 am »

This sounds like an excellent idea!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 05:03:17 am »

So, yeah, radiation leak from damaged reactor, fire in torpedo compartment and some weird chemical danger in diesel engine compartment, all at the same time ...pause button?

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 05:37:38 am »

So, yeah, radiation leak from damaged reactor, fire in torpedo compartment and some weird chemical danger in diesel engine compartment, all at the same time ...pause button?
Two of those can be fixed from the same location: the misc console. Activate fire suppression in the torpedo compartment, and deactivate it in the engine room. For the reactor, follow Tobel's advice: surface, purge, and clear the vents. Once you know what you're doing, it gets...well, not easier, but easier to understand.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15