Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I kill a zombie whale?  (Read 5852 times)

JonasIV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do I kill a zombie whale?
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:24:12 pm »

I had a great fort in an evil biome until fun things happened. I tried to reclaim it four times already yet there is a zombie whale going around slapping all my dwarves to death, I tried equipping all my dwarves with steel armor and weapons but armor does nothing since the whale uses his flipper to shatter skulls and bones. I can't cause instant death traps like a cave-in cause the damn whale comes and shatters the skull of the miner. Even if I do kill it somehow, won't it just resurrect? So my question is : Whats the most simple and easiest way to kill a zombie whale?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: How do I kill a zombie whale?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:29:44 pm »

I'm not sure you'll be able to kill it, unfortunately. Whales are pretty massive, and added to that the strength and toughness bonus of being undead makes it nearly invulnerable. I suppose you could try embarking with seven dwarves that have as height skills in archery as you can get, with seven crossbows and as many bolts as you can carry, then hope that they manage to shoot the whale to death before it kills them all. Then you'd have to set up a butcher and tanner's shop and convert the corpse into non lethal items before they come back to life. From there you'll have to rebuild your shattered fortress with nothing but seven hunters, but on the bright side they'll have all the supplies their dead brethren brought with them.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:44:53 pm »

As last poster said, there really is no way to kill this effectively. My best guess is for you to trap it into a pit somewhere it can not get out.

Simply put, unless you completely incinerate it, trap it in a cage, or crush it, it will continually get worse.

Yes, I did post a lot of wiki links, but I figure they may be helpful in drawing a conclusion to your troubles (which may be just leaving). I don't believe whales come with BUILDING_DESTROYER, which means you are at least safe from that.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

JonasIV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 06:16:34 pm »

Alright ill try and do that, hopefully the whale won't get seven more kills for his kill list...

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 06:36:48 pm »

Alright ill try and do that, hopefully the whale won't get seven more kills for his kill list...

I would make a backup copy of the game, then check the pathing of the whale. Does it chase your dwarves? Does it wander?
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 12:29:12 am »

You need to bring a mechanic and all the components to build the Ultimate God Slaying Weapon otherwise known as rickety cage trap made of sticks.

Bring a big box of cats with you as well. While the immortal zombie behemoth flops around the map destroying your cats dig a winding one tile wide path into the earth as fast and furiously as you can. Have your mechanic build the trap somewhere along its length that's around a bend so he is at least out of strait line of sight to ensure the zombie whale doesn't lock eyes with him and send him running while its flopping around destroying the cats outside. Cats are quite agile so it might actually take the monster a good while to kill them all. Keep all your other dwarves cowering at the end of the tunnel praying to the deity of their choice.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:45:34 am by Melting Sky »

JonasIV

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:20:17 pm »

So the whale disappeared, normally I would find him in my mining system preparing to ambush whoever came near by, but this time I didn't find him anywhere and I doubt he got killed since I can find no corpse of him...Legends mode says he didn't get killed so either he is hiding REAL GOOD somewhere (how can you not see a giant whale?) or he went into the wilderness which makes me think, how many kills will this whale get?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »

So the whale disappeared, normally I would find him in my mining system preparing to ambush whoever came near by, but this time I didn't find him anywhere and I doubt he got killed since I can find no corpse of him...Legends mode says he didn't get killed so either he is hiding REAL GOOD somewhere (how can you not see a giant whale?) or he went into the wilderness which makes me think, how many kills will this whale get?

It probably pathed off the map. In this version, that means that it is now a number saved to a file and will not change unless it returns to your map.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 07:36:40 pm »

Does nobody else find it hilarious that Jonas is having problems with a whale?
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 02:06:08 am »

Does nobody else find it hilarious that Jonas is having problems with a whale?

I just saw this. You win, my good sir. You win.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 02:53:02 pm »

It probably pathed off the map. In this version, that means that it is now a number saved to a file and will not change unless it returns to your map.

I have never seen anything leave on reclaim. It is down there, somewhere, possibly in a mining tunnel you haven't seen yet.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 05:37:18 pm »

Wait what? Why are we trying to kill it? There are endless options for fun here.

1)Capture it in a cage and use it in fortress defense.

2)Use it in a coliseum setting. Whichever dwarf kills it get assigned some kind of reward, like a nobleship or a mansion. Its like drawing the sword from the stone, expect with less chivalry and more putrefied sea life.

3) What type of zombie is it? If it's the kind that doesn't melt (husks?), then we need to find out if an undead whale can swim normally in magma.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 06:04:33 pm »

3. IIRC zombies still don't melt so it should allow for magma whales.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 06:06:31 pm »

Don't worry, zombie whales are actually quite easy to kill. All you need to do is go to your metalsmith, forge a silver harpoon, and give it to your best soldier. If he's any good, he should take it out handily.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 07:39:44 pm »

I suppose cave ins and or obsidianizing could work, but those traps take so long to set up, it's probably not gonna happen.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: [1] 2