Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Attack of the Clones!- DF clones discussion  (Read 2597 times)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attack of the Clones!- DF clones discussion
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:13:16 am »

I go through spits and spurts of playing DF. Although I really don't mind the graphics(or lack therof), I really DO mind the awful awful UI, and this unfortunately keeps me from playing one of the coolest games ever made as much as I would like to. Recently I started playing RimWorld and I love it, I think it is my favorite DF clone even though in it's current state it is sorely lacking features and content. Which made me think about revisiting some of the other clones. I have Gnomoria and Towns both in my Steam library but I haven't really played them since I installed them and I imagine they are much more updated at this point. My favorite DF clone was Goblin Camp but this one sadly has been abandoned. Maybe I only liked it because at the time it was pretty much the only DF clone. But now, this is not the case.

So to those who have played many of them, what are your thoughts? How do they compare to DF? I haven't played Prison Architect but the engine for RimWorld really allows me to get into the game(some people have complained about the UI in RimWorld but I assume they have never played DF) I would just die if DF had a similar UI(and yes I know about the DF utilities..)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Attack of the Clones!- DF clones discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:19:02 am »

First, calling all these games clones is a bit disingenuous and primes the conversation for a fight.

Second, PA is a pretty solid DF-inspired game. Nothing is going to ever drill down into the level of DF does but PA is a solid simulation with more detail, management and simulation aspects coming in with every build. It lacks a lot of the kooky feature, like guys going crazy, invasion-like scenarios, ect.... But if you really like design, and watching your ants move around and have lives and do stuff, and prison is a theme you're ok with, PA is a solid buy at this point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:43:00 am »

First, calling all these games clones is a bit disingenuous and primes the conversation for a fight.
I'm fine with my choice of word here and mean no ill intent, if someone wishes to 'fight' me over something this meaningless so be it.

Out of these games I haven't tried PA but I understand RimWorld uses the same engine? It is a sexy engine, I'll give it that. But yeah, the prison theme is something I'm not really interested in which is what has kept me away from it. I guess I always thought PA was too specific whereas I like games with the usuall 4x stuff.

EDIT: However Prison Architect is currently on sale at 66% off on Steam so yeah, looks like I'll be checking it out after all :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:08:06 pm by joey4track »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 12:12:19 pm »

wait... Prison Architect is a DF-like? I should check it out.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 12:20:25 pm »

whats better? Prison Architect or Rimworld?
I got nothing

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 12:20:40 pm »

Well now that it's on sale and I am playing with it, it is less a DF-like than something like Gnomoria/Towns and way more specific. It is really cool and much more in depth than I had thought, especially with all the new stuff that was added in todays update.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 12:53:45 pm »

RimWorld is not using the Prison Architect engine and its only association to PA is that RW's original placeholder graphics were similar in style to PA's graphics.

Quoth RimWorld's creator:
I drew some inspiration from PA. Moreso from its own inspiration, Dwarf Fortress.

We don't share any tools. Chris at IV has his own tech foundation; I built this one on Unity.

But they do look somewhat similar; that's my fault. I'm not a good enough artist to come up with a really good original look. There are only so many ways to render characters on a tiny grid without using animations.

I hope the differences between the game will be enough for people to look past the aesthetic similarities. And if I get some funding at some point I can get an artist to help develop a more unique look.

I do think the similarities are skin-deep. In gameplay the game resembles DF much more than PA.
Source: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=23.0
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:58:15 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:56:23 pm »

RimWorld is not using the Prison Architect engine and its only association to PA is that RW's original placeholder graphics were similar in style to PA's graphics.
Ah, thanks for the info.  I heard that it was the same engine back when it first appeared so I guess it was just the same graphics.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 01:02:35 pm »

Well now that it's on sale and I am playing with it, it is less a DF-like than something like Gnomoria/Towns and way more specific. It is really cool and much more in depth than I had thought, especially with all the new stuff that was added in todays update.

Which is why I say don't rush to label something a DF-clone. The genre of 2d simulators are more popular than they used to be, no doubt partially due to DF's influence. But clone has a lot of negative implications. (And I say all this because I remember the threads when Towns, Gnormoria ect... came out and people went to war to either defame or defend it.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 01:30:53 pm »

I'd still be playing DF, but it got too complicated (the military screen), the trade screen is a good way to get carpal tunnel, and I got frustrated by all the endless attacks with no way to strike back or negotiate peace.

Towns I rejected because my initial party was slaughtered immediately every time I tried to start a game (by some sort of deadly native frogs). I waited a couple months and tried it again, and it was still happening, after which I wrote Towns off completely (I had other problems with it, but "not actually being able to play the game at all because it kills the entire party in the first couple minutes" trumps them all).

Gnomoria seems nice, but I haven't really put in enough time to really get to know it.

I haven't tried Rimworld or Prison Architect.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 01:35:59 pm »

I'd still be playing DF, but it got too complicated (the military screen)
I see all these old DF players complaining about the military screen. What was the old one like? It must have been pretty simple for the current one to be complicated in comparison.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ghostetler88

• Bay Watcher
  • Stick a Soth in it!
    • View Profile
    • The Epic Gamers
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 01:42:45 pm »

whats better? Prison Architect or Rimworld?
That depends much on what you're looking for in a game. I'll preface this by saying that I've put maybe five hours into Prison Architect and about ten, or so, into Rimworld.

Prison Architect is, at the end of the day, a prison simulator. Rimworld, on the other hand, is a colony builder that was built on an engine originally developed for tactical combat games.

They're both great games, mind you, but they're different. Rimworld has more in common with Dwarf Fortress, I think. It's more about building and defending a fort/base/whatever in an environment that is mostly hostile towards you. Prison Architect is generally more of the "as hard as you make it" variety of game, from what I've found (unless you flip on the toggle that makes prisoners arrive daily regardless about whether you're ready for them or not).

If you're looking for a good combat game, go with Rimworld. If you're looking for a more personnel-related (read: micro-management) experience, I'd recommend Prison Architect.

Rimworld, I would actually recommend holding off on for a bit if you're leery of using mods and whatnot. As it stands I think it's a great game, but I don't know that it's worth the thirty dollar asking price with regards to the amount of content in the game right now. The game supports modding to a pretty impressive extent and there are already mods that add a LOT of content to the game if you're comfortable using them.

All down to brass tacks, it comes down to what kind of game you're looking for. As I said, if you want a better combat/survival game, go with Rimworld. If you want a better sim, go with Prison Architect.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:48:07 pm by ghostetler88 »
A Let's Player appears! He menaces with spikes of mediocrity and failure. Beware his terrible puns!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 01:50:45 pm »

I see all these old DF players complaining about the military screen. What was the old one like? It must have been pretty simple for the current one to be complicated in comparison.

Here, I just took 6 screenshots from 0.28.181.40d19 for you, and put them in a DropBox album: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lr71bp5tx84zw1d/PZwfuIXa80

It was dead easy to set up a squad, assign equipment to them, and get them patrolling or going somewhere or training (set off duty) or whatever. But there was no mixing equipment, no uniforms, no specifying equipment quality, nothing like that. It only took a couple seconds to do anything with the military but the trade off was that there were some things that were non-trivial, and some that were impossible (uniforms, mixing chain/plate, etc).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:56:55 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 02:02:00 pm »

Gnomeoria is a lot of fun but it lacks end game content. Fortunately the devs are active and recently posted a road map.

As for Towns...don't bother. The devs have not posted an update in almost a year.

PA is a lot of fun too. Not sure I would compare it to DF though. About all they have in common is that they are both Sims.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 02:03:43 pm »

Here, I just took 6 screenshots from 0.28.181.40d19 for you, and put them in a DropBox album: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lr71bp5tx84zw1d/PZwfuIXa80
Oh wow thanks, that is more effort than is necessary for a stranger on the internet but I appreciate it.
It really was simple huh? Though also obviously with fewer features.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: [1] 2